Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not too surpised by those moves. Jeffcott always seemed to be loan cover whilst Moloney adapts to U21 football and having barely played at U18 level over the previous 2 seasons due to injuries. He also mised the first couple months of this season. Gough will be stepping up full time next season (as well as covering LW), with Gill hoping to get some experience at that level too.

I expect the extensions for Oseni and Nunn are an indication of both being released at the end of the season. They'll be 21 and 22 respectively at the setart of next season and are nowhere near our first team.

Bartley, Bardell, Radcliffe, Bates, Gibson-Hammond, Nto and Weston are all 20 or over so should be looking at men's football soon. I wouldn't expect any to be in our first team squad next season, so all should be pushing for loans tbh. DRobinson too, in the hope he can mimic Thompsons trajectory since this time last season.

29 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not too surpised by those moves. Jeffcott always seemed to be loan cover whilst Moloney adapts to U21 football and having barely played at U18 level over the previous 2 seasons due to injuries. He also mised the first couple months of this season. Gough will be stepping up full time next season (as well as covering LW), with Gill hoping to get some experience at that level too.

I expect the extensions for Oseni and Nunn are an indication of both being released at the end of the season. They'll be 21 and 22 respectively at the setart of next season and are nowhere near our first team.

Bartley, Bardell, Radcliffe, Bates, Gibson-Hammond, Nto and Weston are all 20 or over so should be looking at men's football soon. I wouldn't expect any to be in our first team squad next season, so all should be pushing for loans tbh. DRobinson too, in the hope he can mimic Thompsons trajectory since this time last season.

I'd be really interested to understand why those 'in the know' about the Academy on this board, like @Ghost of Clough, don't feel Weston has what it takes to be part of the first team squad at Derby? Every time I see him I'm impressed by his skill and finishing ability, are there other factors that are holding him back - maybe his size/physicality?

1 hour ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I'd be really interested to understand why those 'in the know' about the Academy on this board, like @Ghost of Clough, don't feel Weston has what it takes to be part of the first team squad at Derby? Every time I see him I'm impressed by his skill and finishing ability, are there other factors that are holding him back - maybe his size/physicality?

He's a #10 so would need to be paired with someoen like Collins (or Brown), and lately he's been played on the wing for the U21s, with Wheeldon and Fapetu used in the AM role instead.
He needs to add consistency to his end product (ony 1 goal and 2 assists in 12 PL2 games since season), but he should have been allowed to build on his 1 goal and 1 assist during his only (brief) first team appearance for us.

Just looking at the under 21s fixtures and I noticed the last game of the season against Everton is at Matlocks ground on Sunday 28th of April with a 1 pm kickoff, the day after the first team season finishes.

Celebration party in Matlock ?

2 minutes ago, SKHunter said:

Buxton in the quarter final of the Derbyshire Senior Cup tonight.  Could be interesting.

It'll be a good test for the lads to prove what level they're currently playing at and help them earn loan moves. For reference, Oseni is currently on loan to Rushall who are 4 points behind Buxton and he got 78 minutes at the weekend. The suspensions KRobinson and Fapetu picked up against Forest in PL2 won't apply to this fixture so both will be in the squad.

It'll be interesting to see if we do put any first teamers in there for match fitness - Fornah and Smith in particular need minutes.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It'll be a good test for the lads to prove what level they're currently playing at and help them earn loan moves. For reference, Oseni is currently on loan to Rushall who are 4 points behind Buxton and he got 78 minutes at the weekend. The suspensions KRobinson and Fapetu picked up against Forest in PL2 won't apply to this fixture so both will be in the squad.

It'll be interesting to see if we do put any first teamers in there for match fitness - Fornah and Smith in particular need minutes.

Take a warm coat!