Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Guardiola is doing it this season woth Oscar Bobb, Cole Palmer last season, Foden before them, etc..

Possibly the worst example you could have chosen. Guardiola has the luxury of being Pep Guardiola, legendary coach and manager of the richest club in the world who have many games a season where they have the points sewn up by half-time, yet who still (in the eyes of many) held back the career of Foden by not giving him more game time when he was clearly ready for it.

Your point about gradually increasing the game time of young players is well made, but whilst a youngster might be forgiven by our fans for "having a mare", Warne would absolutely get it in the neck without hesitancy from many for any consequential lost points, so I understand why he's cautious.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Possibly the worst example you could have chosen. Guardiola has the luxury of being Pep Guardiola, legendary coach and manager of the richest club in the world who have many games a season where they have the points sewn up by half-time, yet who still (in the eyes of many) held back the career of Foden by not giving him more game time when he was clearly ready for it.

Your point about gradually increasing the game time of young players is well made, but whilst a youngster might be forgiven by our fans for "having a mare", Warne would absolutely get it in the neck without hesitancy from many for any consequential lost points, so I understand why he's cautious.

I picked Man City as they arguably have the best youth setup in the world right now. If they see value in giving 10 minutes to youth players every now and then, it seems bizarre that we don't see the value in it when in League 1.

Not happy with the Man City example? Pick another club. Bottom of PL2 side, Blackburn? They do the same too.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I picked Man City as they arguably have the best youth setup in the world right now. If they see value in giving 10 minutes to youth players every now and then, it seems bizarre that we don't see the value in it when in League 1.

Not happy with the Man City example? Pick another club. Bottom of PL2 side, Blackburn? They do the same too.

Maybe worth reading this from Pep, https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/guardiola-has-not-become-more-fearful-of-giving-youth-a-chance-he-always-only-wanted-the-best/5t55a41xo1q510japwc6zvdjn

No one is saying if they are good enough don't play them, but they need to prove themselves first, not just give 10 mins because they are young...

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I had a look at Blackburn's introduction of debutants aged 22 and under this season so far. Sensible, but not exactly revolutionary imo:- 

Gilsenan (20) has made 4 appearances (FLC - 1 full + 2 sub, + 1 League sub appearance).

Bloxham (18) has made 2 substitute appearances (28 mins v Harrogate in the FLC and 12 mins v Plymouth in the Champ).

Batty (18) made 1 full appearance v Walsall in the FLC.

Gamble (20) made 1 full appearance in the FLC v Harrogate.

Two further players, Aitcheson (17) and Edmondson (18) came on against Harrogate when Blackburn were already 5-0 up, but haven't featured since.

So 6 players given "game time" but only 2 players have made brief sub appearances in the League, while the others played against teams 2 divisions below in the FLC, mostly in a route against Harrogate. And they haven't had their Academy cleared of talent in the last 3 years by financial problems and administration.

DCFC, by comparison, have given "game time" with the first team to 9 debutants under 22.

Question for those in the academy know, are there any whispers of pro contracts/scholarships being given out/offered any time soon? I was chatting to some folk involved in the Lincoln setup and they're trying to sort everyone out pre Christmas, so anyone not in the plans have all of January to either get sorted/in the shop window on loan, for next season. 

On 12/12/2023 at 00:23, Ram@Lincoln said:

Question for those in the academy know, are there any whispers of pro contracts/scholarships being given out/offered any time soon? I was chatting to some folk involved in the Lincoln setup and they're trying to sort everyone out pre Christmas, so anyone not in the plans have all of January to either get sorted/in the shop window on loan, for next season. 

6 odd have been offered scholarships, the rest have been released was told