Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Well to quote Mandy Rice-Davies, 'he would say that, wouldn't he'

Whether there are issues or not, he isn't going to tell supporters at Alfreton Town. 

I'm not saying there are issues, or indeed suggesting misleading comments, it's no real evidence either way.  

Or he could of just said nowt🤷🏻‍♂️

It was in the context of a longer conversation.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

23 minutes ago, angieram said:

Are you there? I'm at the cricket watching us get tanked around the ground, unfortunately. 

No unfortunately I’m at work… I’ve got a “spy” at the game To let me know how it goes though…. 😂

He has a history of not trusting young players. Much rather pay to sign proven players. on this point you can also look at his comments about loan players saying he only wants those who have previously been out on loan. That excludes a huge number of talented players who are looking for a loan move. 

conversations with people who know the the club and the wider game who have all told me the same thing. 

On 22/08/2023 at 22:55, Stuniverse said:

Here's a report  https://awayonsaturday.blogspot.com/2023/08/derby-county-u21s-3-1-mansfield-town.html?m=1 that was pasted on the Mansfield Website.  It is very complimentary of our lads, in particular Ben Radcliffe, who the author had already been impressed by, presumably when he was playing for Burton.   

I don't understand why the U21s are playing tomorrow night, with the first team the next day. Making it impossible to play in both games, when that could prove useful. When we've got such a small squad, surely we should retain the option of people playing in both and spread the games out? 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't understand why the U21s are playing tomorrow night, with the first team the next day. Making it impossible to play in both games, when that could prove useful. When we've got such a small squad, surely we should retain the option of people playing in both and spread the games out? 

Games have always been played Friday or Monday, I think it's out of Derby's control.

Rather the opposite, but I also think we have joined the Central League playing mostly on Tuesdays to give some game time to the bench players, keep them match fit. 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Games have always been played Friday or Monday, I think it's out of Derby's control.

Rather the opposite, but I also think we have joined the Central League playing mostly on Tuesdays to give some game time to the bench players, keep them match fit. 

Agreed, @angieram

As you say, U21 games have usually been played on Mondays with the occasional Friday game.

Looking at this season's U21 fixture list ( https://www.dcfc.co.uk/fixtures?team=32&competition=&season=&home_away=&display= ) there's less consistency as to when the home games (and away games) are scheduled.

The two main changes I'm aware of are the new format of PL2 (this probably means the 20 PL2 matches need to be played earlier, to allow for the Top 16 knockout phase at the end of the season) and the U21s entry into the Central League. Both of these, I expect, have created fixture congestion with two games a week (like this week) on a more regular basis.