The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Is that a first trip to the semis for the Pumas?

Hopefully another good show tonight in the Ireland v NZ match.

Think they have been there once before, but wasn't sure until I checked the match report and indeed they were in the semis in 2007.

Could this yet end up being an all SH semi final lineup?

Just made it to the moaning chair in time for Ireland v New Zealand 👍

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Is that a first trip to the semis for the Pumas?

Hopefully another good show tonight in the Ireland v NZ match.

Believe so. Ironically, and perhaps slightly controversially, I think it's the weakest squad they've had in a while, though I have no idea why. The pack bullied Wales in the contact but all of the back's flair and brilliant kicking game seem to have vanished. Very fortunate to make a semi with their results to date.

Stone cold classic. Horrible for Ireland, but what a defensive set from the Kiwis. 30+ phases defended without infringement, then the turnover the moment the Irish overstepped. Stunning from both sides. Gutted for the Irish lads who were uncharacteristically nervy. To my eye, they were clearly the better side, but the Kiwis executed better and made fewer mistakes.

Objectively, this was not Ireland at their best, but you have to admire the ruthlessness of a Kiwi side who were second best, in truth, but simply refused to be beaten.

Yes it was the kiwi defence that won it. That hold up near the end was critical. Thought Ireland left a couple of tries out there. They were forced to make mistakes and not play their normal game. Could have been a final. I can see the last game of the world cup being a repeat of the first game! 

Not bothered about England really. Poor team choices again. May the best team win. 

Edited by oomarkwright

Liking what I'm seeing so far, despite the odd team selection. Smith at 15 is a bit meh thus far, but the front 8 are more than fronting up. Fijians too, putting in massive (but fair) hits and England responding like madmen at the breakdown. It's another belting match and finally, one in which we're involved. Lot of rugby left in this mind and no result would greatly surprise.

On a tangent, best RWC by a mile, with a due doff of the cap to Japan, who also gave us a wonderful tournament.

And we've still France v South Africa to come! 

#piginshoyte

Well I'm not gutted for Fiji lmao. I thought both sides were excellent today in an absolute cauldron of a game. Marcus Smith looked liked he'd done 15 rounds with Rocky Balboa. 

Ben Earls an easy pick as MOTM for me. He been one of the few bright lights in recent games and today was his best by a stretch. Absolutely brilliant and probably the difference between two really well matched sides. You feel for the Fijians, but for all the talk of Bottia dominating the breakdown, they were second best in that area and that's where the game was won and lost.