The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

On 07/09/2023 at 22:04, Anag Ram said:

I think Mitchell and Ford will move the ball a bit quicker but then Marchand and Tuilagi will run into the pack. You’d hope Johnny May would take the opportunities that come his way, but he is more likely to be bored.

Dan Cole is a bit of a depressing pick.

I know nothing!

27 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I know nothing!

Immense tonight wasn't he. Not seen a defensive set like this from England since the semifinal in 2019 when the Kiwis ran into walls all night, I was at the Fiji game and we are absolutely unrecognisable. I'm not complaining!

Argentina were poor, but even so, this was some performance.

Good effort from England tonight. That performance has been long overdue. 👏 

Massive missed opportunity for the Argies. 

I thought the Aussies looked decent, and perhaps Ireland have timed their pre world cup preparations better than I thought by regarding the Romania game as a warm up. 

As for tomorrow, I'd take the boks to win by +15 points, and Wales to beat Fiji. 

9 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Immense tonight wasn't he. Not seen a defensive set like this from England since the semifinal in 2019 when the Kiwis ran into walls all night, I was at the Fiji game and we are absolutely unrecognisable. I'm not complaining!

Argentina were poor, but even so, this was some performance.

Would we have played a different game with 15 on the pitch?, Our kicking game where the ball was lumped back into the Argentina half made them start all over again, Cheika must have been pulling what little hair he has left with the amount of penalties they gave away and Fords kicking was superb.

Was the sending off right, I know that the rugby authorities are trying to keep head injuries out of the game...but christ on a bike when you have 30 big and very fit men challenging for the ball...there's going to be some head contact at some time.

Is there any chance of an appeal now we have the "bunker" system with us?

I get the yellow because he mistimed his tackle and that’s not safe. However, why would anyone set out to injure an opponent with the side of their head?

We’ve seen some dangerous play with deliberate shoulders into the face and they absolutely need to be clamped down on. I’m not sure Curry had plans to do anything other than tackle the guy.

Loved the way Ford led England. Hope that means no more Farrell mediocrity. He sure as hell would get another red in the current environment.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I get the yellow because he mistimed his tackle and that’s not safe. However, why would anyone set out to injure an opponent with the side of their head?

We’ve seen some dangerous play with deliberate shoulders into the face and they absolutely need to be clamped down on. I’m not sure Curry had plans to do anything other than tackle the guy.

Loved the way Ford led England. Hope that means no more Farrell mediocrity. He sure as hell would get another red in the current environment.

I don’t profess to understand all the rules of rugby union especially the latest changes but, presumably you don’t have to set out to injure an opponent with the side of your head for the tackle to be deemed dangerous or reckless. I don’t doubt that Curry’s only intent was to tackle the guy but he seems to have got it all wrong thus causing a potentially dangerous collision. 

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t profess to understand all the rules of rugby union especially the latest changes but, presumably you don’t have to set out to injure an opponent with the side of your head for the tackle to be deemed dangerous or reckless. I don’t doubt that Curry’s only intent was to tackle the guy but he seems to have got it all wrong thus causing a potentially dangerous collision. 

Yes, I guess I think that it’s a lot to process when the ball is coming over your shoulder and a sixteen stone man is flying towards your face. 

If he’d done nothing everyone would’ve been up in arms. He waited for the guy to land but was about two feet too far forward to have time to dip.

I saw other players ‘making a back’ in front of a leaping player and that was deemed good play.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Sadly, in making changes to the ruling, lack of intent is pretty much irrelevant, which is a bit of a nonsense to be fair. Where intent is shown, the red will result in an extended ban in serious cases, so that element does at least makes sense. Sending players off does not however, prevent accidental head clashes which are part and parcel with rugby as anyone who has played will tell you. It's a shame to see games ruined by purely accidental fouls, but rugby is a concussive injury timebomb that is already starting to blow up and changes had to be made. The rule needs refining, but I think the world rugby will always err on the side of caution.

Edited by Comrade 86

8 hours ago, Stockport Ram said:

The common theme with the current great nations these days is that they generally keep possession far far better than good teams of a decade ago. We simply don’t - we kick far too much generally.

Excellent post which summarises things really well but ref the above, nobody kicks more than South Africa and they are the reigning champions. Done well, it's a powerful tool. Sadly, we've not done it well since RWC2019, least until yesterday.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

South Africa having the best of the first half but not much to show for it on the scoreboard at 6-3.

Wonderful commentary in rugby after Scotland get a penalty after a few scrums in succesion: "those are the intracies of rugby that only the purist gets." It was said like it's a good thing.

Why was the draw done for this World Cup done in 2020? Ireland, Scotland and South Africa ranked in Top 5 and all in same group. Then this group meet the French and NZ in Quarter Finals. 

England could now make the semis with no real hard games left, to play say Ireland who have had to beat Scotland, SA and France already!

22 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wonderful commentary in rugby after Scotland get a penalty after a few scrums in succesion: "those are the intracies of rugby that only the purist gets." It was said like it's a good thing.

Why was the draw done for this World Cup done in 2020? Ireland, Scotland and South Africa ranked in Top 5 and all in same group. Then this group meet the French and NZ in Quarter Finals. 

England could now make the semis with no real hard games left, to play say Ireland who have had to beat Scotland, SA and France already!

Another thing they need to look at as it makes no sense at all. It's really based on 2019 form and while the Saffas are in good trim, England have gone backwards and yet still find themselves effectively seeded 2.

Needs fixing, but the silliness of the system has manufactured some huge games in every round, so from a viewer's' perspective, it's cracking sport.