The Rugby Union Thread

Comrade 86

England seem to have a disproportionately high number of stupid players.

They give away so many needless penalties and show aggression in all the wrong ways.

Many of the players were the golden generation we had hopes for years ago. If they haven’t done it yet they never will.

There is so little cohesion in the team and that’s been the case for a while.

I may be being unreasonable but I’d love to see England actually trying to score a try by passing to each other rather than doing an impression of a group of horny cows.

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

England seem to have a disproportionately high number of stupid players.

They give away so many needless penalties and show aggression in all the wrong ways.

Many of the players were the golden generation we had hopes for years ago. If they haven’t done it yet they never will.

There is so little cohesion in the team and that’s been the case for a while.

I may be being unreasonable but I’d love to see England actually trying to score a try by passing to each other rather than doing an impression of a group of horny cows.

Do you take your 🎩 off when you play Smoggy 😬

On 20/08/2023 at 23:04, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I keep seeing TikToks bemoaning the state of English rugby union at club level. Could someone please enlighten me what's going wrong?

Clubs going bust, English clubs being outbid for top talent by overseas clubs, often French.

Prices for games have skyrocketed and crowds are dwindling.

The clubs used to be real community hubs but as the sport has become increasingly commercial,they are more like franchises. Some moving away from their heartlands eg wasps (a London club) moving their home games to Coventry.

It happens.

Still, good for Fiji though.

It's always nice for the smaller unions to get a result over one of the big ones, even though it's a warm up match it's still a good moment for them.

do all the pacific island rugby unions still have to fend off the all blacks taking all the good players, or has that been curbed these days?

On 26/08/2023 at 21:29, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still, good for Fiji though.

It's always nice for the smaller unions to get a result over one of the big ones, even though it's a warm up match it's still a good moment for them.

do all the pacific island rugby unions still have to fend off the all blacks taking all the good players, or has that been curbed these days?

Their families move whilst they're still kids, like Mr and Mrs vunipola.

• 2 weeks later...

So the WC is almost upon us and borthers has picked his starting 15 for the pumas 

Mitchell and Ford as the half backs are probably the pick of a very limited bunch

Curry straight back in having missed all of the warm up.

Dan Cole back in the scrum.

Johnny May and the plodding Steward back as well.

So how do we feel, what do we think?

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So the WC is almost upon us and borthers has picked his starting 15 for the pumas 

Mitchell and Ford as the half backs are probably the pick of a very limited bunch

Honestly?

bail abandon thread GIF

I do think that it will be a wonderful world cup though, so in all honesty, I'm just not going to worry about England and simply enjoy some of the choice match-ups on offer. France Vs the Kiwis already has me salivating like a starving puppy in a steakhouse.

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

Honestly?

bail abandon thread GIF

I do think that it will be a wonderful world cup though, so in all honesty, I'm just not going to worry about England and simply enjoy some of the choice match-ups on offer. France Vs the Kiwis already has me salivating like a starving puppy in a steakhouse.

Gonna miss that one, but sadly will be home in time for England v the pumas.....

28 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think Mitchell and Ford will move the ball a bit quicker but then Marchand and Tuilagi will run into the pack. You’d hope Johnny May would take the opportunities that come his way, but he is more likely to be bored.

Dan Cole is a bit of a depressing pick.

11 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

South Africa will bludgeon their way to the final.  Ireland will totally dominate Wales at some point in the tournament and go out to a horrendous decision that will be reviewed after the event.  

Think Ireland could only get Wales in the final (on account of the draw), but agree the Boks look rather fearsome. With all of the top sides lumped together in the top half of the draw though, could they already be punch drunk by the KO stages...

Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Id like England to do well but can't see it.

I prefer the style of France or Scotland to that of South Africa or Ireland.

Very open. Could be a lot of tight games. Cards could become a key part and sadly for England some of our players just seem perpetually dumb.

Ireland are crafty and a bit sly and I'd like to see refs picking up on that.

Well the real France turned up on Friday night, as I think we probably all expected. They just look so in control when they are firing and as VDM says, they are the best side to watch, bar none. If they can even get close to matching the Boks upfront, they have the firepower to put any team away right now. Even stripped of Ntamack and Danty, they've so many elite players these days it's frightening.

Now for England...

🙈