Andy Rourke - RIP

BaaLocks

Probably the most under rated member of the most over rated band in recent times.

I liked The Smiths but I do feel they haven't aged at all well, and Mozza has tainted any good memories I could have had. But those walking basslines, that style, that originality - Rushholme Ruffians, The Headmaster Ritual, ThIs Night Has Opened My Eyes, How Soon Is Now, Barbarism Begins At Home and so many more.

They would have been nothing, even for all of Johnny Marr's genius, without him.

Edited by BaaLocks

13 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Probably the most under rated member of the most over rated band in recent times.

I liked The Smiths but I do feel they haven't aged at all well, and Mozza has tainted any good memories I could have had. But those walking basslines, that style, that originality - Rushholme Ruffians, The Headmaster Ritual, ThIs Night Has Opened My Eyes, How Soon Is Now, Barbarism Begins At Home and so many more.

They would have been nothing, even for all of Johnny Marr's genius, without him.

Another sad loss to the music world , as you said Andy Rourke was very under rated  RIP

Spot on - pancreatic cancer is a swift and ruthless disease. I know too many people already that have been taken too young by it

Musically, it's a real travesty that he was over-shadowed by Marr's guitar work, because as you say - stop and listen to his bass lines and he was a phenomenal and original talent

one of the bands of my formative years, amused that @BaaLocks states "Recent Years" given they packed up about 36 years ago!

I always feel bad when I think of Joyce and Rourke as it was written that in those 5/6 years, they were only ever paid as session musicians and never really made the kind of money they should've made.

Rourke himself battled Heroin addiction and beat it, absolute legend for me musically. RIP

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

one of the bands of my formative years, amused that @BaaLocks states "Recent Years" given they packed up about 36 years ago!

I always feel bad when I think of Joyce and Rourke as it was written that in those 5/6 years, they were only ever paid as session musicians and never really made the kind of money they should've made.

Rourke himself battled Heroin addiction and beat it, absolute legend for me musically. RIP

True, most concerts I go to now it's a wonder if any of the original band members have a hair on their head remaining. Hatful Of Hollow was probably my student album though - at the time I just loved it.

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I think only Morrissey hasn't aged well. He is under-developed psychologically, his implied political stances and his contemptuous refusal to explain them or refute them are  unpleasant and his solo work steadily got worse after a few good uns.

The Smiths music still sounds great to me, especially the remastered versions!

Agree about Andy Rourke though, terrific bass player.

51 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Really sad news. Any tribute from Morrissey, suspect not? 😞

The singer of the band, Morrissey, who has gone on to lead a solo career, issued a statement. He said: "He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else.

"His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

50 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

The singer of the band, Morrissey, who has gone on to lead a solo career, issued a statement. He said: "He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else.

"His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

I stand corrected, thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You decided to cut out the bit at the end then? "And while I have your attention, Britain for the British, send all the smelly ones back where they came from and ban all politics anywhere left of Thatcher till at least the end of the next millenium. By the way, I wrote it all you know."

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

You decided to cut out the bit at the end then? "And while I have your attention, Britain for the British, send all the smelly ones back where they came from and ban all politics anywhere left of Thatcher till at least the end of the next millenium. By the way, I wrote it all you know."

Nah, none of that was on there.

Don't think he's much of a Thatcher fan.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/morrissey-margaret-thatcher-was-barbaric-189837/

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

23 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

You certainly post according to your name . Morrissey is and always will be the G.O.A.T.

15 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Zzzzzzzzz 

8 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

Zzzzzzzzz 

I'm somewhere in the middle... I love The Smiths and my kids like them too.

Prolific output of amazing tunes in such a short space of time.

Hard to quantify the impact they had. Totally generational band...up there with anyone. Made being a nerd, vegetarian, pacifist etc a statement rather than naff (I was none of those myself tbh).

Having read most of his autobiography (I couldn't plough through it all) it does seem Morrissey was a bit of a plank and not as clever as he thought. 

I Know It's Over is in my list of favourite songs of all time. Live it was unsurpassable.

Anyone who was part of that is part of something major.  Always seemed a decent bloke, happy to be in the shadows.

No age. Awful illness. Massive shame.

Terrible news. Not sure how you can say they were over-rated and haven’t aged well - they were outstanding and still sound wonderful today. Timeless like all good music. He was a brilliant bass player and his lines weaved wonderfully into Marr’s guitar work. Sadly missed like Martin Duffy before him. RIP