Summer Rumour Mill

sage

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

When it comes to Nelson, he did perform well for Blackpool last season and just remember that Craig Forsyth looked like a top CB at this level at times last season. It’s not a high bar. 

Pennington is a good example, because he’s a player who was wrote off, laughed at and absolutely trashed whilst playing in the Championship but looks accomplished in League One. The strikers at this level aren’t great and when you get a genuinely decent one then they score goals. 

The WhoScored algorithm had him rated as Blackpool’s best player last season. 

Can’t agree more about the levels of league 1 and champ. Jch for example unbeatable in league 1 but when in champ was less than average 

If I was a betting man I'd put money on Wes Harding happening.

Paul Warne connection plus moving a bit closer to home. He even had a loan at Alfreton Town at one point. 

26 years old, right-sided centre half. Easily play Championship. Great signing for a League One club.

17 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

No because I don't watch them week in week out. I'm just looking at what I see every week. 

So then isn't it difficult to tell were our youngsters are in their development? 

How much would we get from selling them now, as opposed to developing them further and hoping we get promoted and can view them as Championship players to potentially sell.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

developing them further and hoping we get promoted and can view them as Championship players to potentially sell.

Nah, spend millions on an academy that produces small, technical, ball-playing midfielders, then appoint a manager who only wants to lump it forward and wants midfielders that just run around a lot.  Then when those players at at the lowest value they could be at, sell them for peanuts. It's the Derby way.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Nah, spend millions on an academy that produces small, technical, ball-playing midfielders, then appoint a manager who only wants to lump it forward and wants midfielders that just run around a lot.  Then when those players at at the lowest value they could be at, sell them for peanuts. It's the Derby way.

Where’s these technical ball-playing midfielders?

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see, I don't think that's in the 'Clowes Plan' for Derby though.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So then isn't it difficult to tell were our youngsters are in their development? 

How much would we get from selling them now, as opposed to developing them further and hoping we get promoted and can view them as Championship players to potentially sell.

Easier said than done though isn't it.

What if Knight has said he won't be signing a new deal next year so it's sell now or he goes for nothing?

Same with Bird. His contract is up next year too. 

I get the sentiment and it would be nice. But it just barely works like that anymore. But regardless of if they are our youngsters or not. If players do not want to be here then they should go.

18 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Not sure if you went last year, but that is not how they played at all. Of course there are some long balls, you get that even in the prem but was not all "Lump it forward"

Edited by Eatonram

9 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

You’re reducing a very complex set of circumstances that played out over a number of years, including administration, change of ownership, multiple embargoes/recruitment restrictions to a strange dig at the current ownership and manager. 

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Easier said than done though isn't it.

What if Knight has said he won't be signing a new deal next year so it's sell now or he goes for nothing?

Same with Bird. His contract is up next year too. 

I get the sentiment and it would be nice. But it just barely works like that anymore. But regardless of if they are our youngsters or not. If players do not want to be here then they should go.

But they won't go for nothing if we've offered them contracts they'd go for a compensation amount. How much to replace them, even frees will want good wages.

It's not a big gamble, they are gaining experience all the time, they are physically developing too. How much can non-Prem teams expect from their U21s/Academy players?!

I'm slightly exaggerating of course (and it's a reference to the Will Hughes/Rowett thing as much as anything), but Warne's teams at Rotherham certainly didn't play in a way which involved central midfielders getting on the ball and passing it a lot.  It was very much everyone runs forward to attack and runs back to defend, get it wide quickly and get crosses in etc.  We certainly got more like that as last season went on as well.  And I don't see where player like Max Bird (for one) fits in a team like that.

10 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

I'm slightly exaggerating of course (and it's a reference to the Will Hughes/Rowett thing as much as anything), but Warne's teams at Rotherham certainly didn't play in a way which involved central midfielders getting on the ball and passing it a lot.  It was very much everyone runs forward to attack and runs back to defend, get it wide quickly and get crosses in etc.  We certainly got more like that as last season went on as well.  And I don't see where player like Max Bird (for one) fits in a team like that.

He signed Barlaser who is a very good ball playing midfielder and he played over 100 times for Rotherham before now going to Boro. You didn’t watch Rotherham, that’s fine. Just don’t pretend you did.