Summer Rumour Mill

sage

19 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I honestly don't understand this "he can only get better" thing. Max Bird, Louie Sibley and Liam Thompson are all young and can only get better, but according to many on here they actually went backwards last year.

Yeah, but the trick is realising/recognising that they didn’t actually go backwards 😉 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

On 27/05/2023 at 10:22, Jram said:

Yeah I’m really embracing the excitement. Tbh, I prefer the wheeler dealer nature of our trading these days over the 2015 Mel era where you knew we would be blowing millions. It feels a lot more exciting knowing it’s low risk but you might find an Ebiowei or a Mcgoldrick and all the signings can’t really fail to meet expectations as there are none.

When we were signing Johnson et al, they were doomed from the start. I’d say in hindsight Johnson was a decent player for us but I always thought he was gash because of the price tag

Great post and agree, i was never a johnson fan. But that was probably becuase i was oh so aware we had spunked such a massive amount on him and players of his ilk we’re appearing at other clubs for a fraction of the stupid money we shelled out for him 

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Great post and agree, i was never a johnson fan. But that was probably becuase i was oh so aware we had spunked such a massive amount on him and players of his ilk we’re appearing at other clubs for a fraction of the stupid money we shelled out for him 

Yep, for sure. We've got a horrendous record when it comes to spending big, and that's across decades. We got one good season out of Vydra, and scraped a profit. Lawrence was sporadic but you could argue we got our £5m worth,but we're going all the way back to 2000 and Strupar for the last time a solid chunk of change was actually good, and he didn't even have a back.

1 hour ago, NorwichExile said:

Yep, for sure. We've got a horrendous record when it comes to spending big, and that's across decades. We got one good season out of Vydra, and scraped a profit. Lawrence was sporadic but you could argue we got our £5m worth,but we're going all the way back to 2000 and Strupar for the last time a solid chunk of change was actually good, and he didn't even have a back.

Agree, the only ones that stand out for me are shilton, saunders  and stimac… for the time and where we we’re they were all big monies but we’re worth every penny and some

7 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

That’s why there are so many clubs struggling for money in the EFL - we haven’t paid money for transfers in a long time 

3 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

All jokes aside say we sold knight and sibley bought CH and say got another scoring midfielder like Brannagan and a rb we’d be a better side overall 

Absolutely and that's the sort of stuff the manager is paid to sort out, wheeling and dealing to get a better balance overall

On 27/05/2023 at 13:48, simmoram1995 said:

It’s about rotation. The problem we stuttered to the end of the season was burn out and the ability to rotate our team.

GK - Wildsmith then I’d imagine we’d re-sign the other two maybe make loach a coach or something 

WB/RB - Clare on a free , knight maybe Harding 

CB - Cashin / Forsyth/ Bradley / Robertson or Harding  possibly Roberts on a free too 

LWB - Forsyth/ Roberts possibly a younger loan player 

CM - Knight/ Hourihane/ Sibley / Bird + maybe a new midfielder if knight or sibley goes 

FWs/W - mcgolderick if he re-signs / Collins / Rodrigues/ another striker / Mendez Laing, Barkhuizen plus another winger maybe a loan 

I’d imagine depending on who we get rid of

it will be CBS all on a free and RB on a free a LB on loan , maybe an extra midfielder on loan or for a small fee , a winger on loan , then two forwards one a free and another our biggest fee maybe Bonis or someone else 

Id leave Fozzy as a CH, he's been immense there this season....  3 Chs and 2 nippy wing backs, that can take players on and cross a ball, the Manure line up from the 90s the the Neville Bros....

Edited by RAM1966

LBs and RBs. You need those if you're going to go with a back 4. It's well known that PW prefers a back 3. Do we need to get any full backs in? Probably not. We need centre halves having just lost Chester, Stearman and Davies. If PW is going to persist with 3 at the back, it's wing backs we need, not FBs. 

IF Cashin is staying, we still need another two central defenders as well as 2 wing backs if we are going 3 at the back . Fozzie only played central last season because we had nobody else, Chester had been pencilled in to play and Curtis wasn't fit either. Rooney isn't quite ready to play week in week out and at the moment we don't have Roberts. I think we will get Roberts but I'm not sure if he will play in the 3 or at wing back  

32 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

LBs and RBs. You need those if you're going to go with a back 4. It's well known that PW prefers a back 3. Do we need to get any full backs in? Probably not. We need centre halves having just lost Chester, Stearman and Davies. If PW is going to persist with 3 at the back, it's wing backs we need, not FBs. 

I’ve seen you and others post a similar sentiment about wing backs a few times now. It is possible for a player to be capable of playing as a more typical full back in a back 4 and as wing backs in a system with 3 centre backs. I don’t get where this idea comes from that if the player is a wing back then they can’t be a full back or vice versa? 
Warne will probably favour a system with a back 3 as it has worked for him previously and he persisted with it towards the end of the season, if Warne and the club are able to recruit the right players with the ability to cover a couple of positions we will have the flexibility in the squad to play a number of systems if needed, which would be ideal. 

34 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

IF Cashin is staying, we still need another two central defenders as well as 2 wing backs if we are going 3 at the back . Fozzie only played central last season because we had nobody else, Chester had been pencilled in to play and Curtis wasn't fit either. Rooney isn't quite ready to play week in week out and at the moment we don't have Roberts. I think we will get Roberts but I'm not sure if he will play in the 3 or at wing back  

Hopefully Roberts would be the left side of a 3 rather then LWB.  I don't think his crossing is good enough to be our first choice wing back.

40 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Hopefully Roberts would be the left side of a 3 rather then LWB.  I don't think his crossing is good enough to be our first choice wing back.

Think I agree with that, roberts was good towards end of the season. Didn’t hide and tried to drive the team forward but ultimately I think I’d want more quality going forward there from a wingback.

not against him as cover for lwb or playing as one of the back three.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ve seen you and others post a similar sentiment about wing backs a few times now. It is possible for a player to be capable of playing as a more typical full back in a back 4 and as wing backs in a system with 3 centre backs. I don’t get where this idea comes from that if the player is a wing back then they can’t be a full back or vice versa? 
Warne will probably favour a system with a back 3 as it has worked for him previously and he persisted with it towards the end of the season, if Warne and the club are able to recruit the right players with the ability to cover a couple of positions we will have the flexibility in the squad to play a number of systems if needed, which would be ideal. 

No arguments from me on this post. Previous ones from several sources, have merely mentioned full backs without adding the qualifier of "capable of operating as a wing back". It's a difficult role as they are expected to have the defensive capabilities of a full back, the skill/nouse of a wing half as well as the attacking qualities a winger needs. They also need the will to play 3 roles in 1. IMO, NML lacks the defensive part somewhat plus he doesn't like the role. Same applies to Barks.

One might say we should have applied more thought and come up with your full meaning but that would would be us making assumptions on what you mean. Not something I would do. The clarification makes all clear.

In his end of season video, Warne said " No surprise, I'm going to strengthen wing backs, we need players out there, we need more choice & strength up the top of the pitch, more tens and another nine at least, trying to convince other people that their futures are here and then reacting to whoever we lose "

15 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree, the only ones that stand out for me are shilton, saunders  and stimac… for the time and where we we’re they were all big monies but we’re worth every penny and some

We did alright out of Tom Ince as well, we made a few million on him and replaced him with Lawrence at half the price, decent business overall, I thought.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

We did alright out of Tom Ince as well, we made a few million on him and replaced him with Lawrence at half the price, decent business overall, I thought.

Did alright with Seth .....had the Dirties' trousers down 🤣🤣