Summer Rumour Mill

sage

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Don’t think that qualifies your statement of “what a joke”.

It is what it is, a joke would be not having the depth we now do, not having cover in key positions, not having options to play different formations. We do at least have that with the current playing staff, it could be better yes, but it’s not a joke.

Also, Warne’s comments about the squad not being top 2 (3 was what he actually said I think?) predated the signings of the two Ty’s 

Does anyone really think the two Ty's put us into top 2 territory?  

Calling it a joke is probably a bit harsh but if we don't bring anyone else in the summer window has fallen well short of my expectations in terms of re-building the squad to address last year's deficiencies.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whether it’s a genuine comment or a bit of cuteness on Barker’s part, what makes you say “what a joke?”

With the signings made last week we’ve now got a squad of 23 first team players when everyone is fit, and some options in the u21s for cover/cup games etc. I’d say things aren’t as bleak as they were earlier in the summer. Could we do with a couple more? Probably, but I don’t think it’s “a joke” to go with what we’ve got at this point.

Agreed - Fornah and John-Jules were important to bolstering the squad. We now seem to have a plethora of options despite the injuries. Vaulks makes a lot of sense - a high end performer in League One who can fill a number of positions.

One or two more would be nice, of course. Vaulks would be a smart pick up. Realistically speaking, we now have enough bodies within the squad. We just need to find a solution within them. 

I like how we have six players - Rooney, Wilson, Fornah, Thompson, Sibley & John-Jules - now coming of age looking to nail down a first team spot. These six in particular are critical to pushing the experienced pros throughout the season. We've got what feels like a decent mix and now we've got to focus on enhancing performances within the group. I would personally like Vaulks to come in - I feel that he can compliment the likes of Hourihane, Bird, Thomoson and Fornah really well.

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

Calling it a joke is probably a bit harsh but if we don't bring anyone else in the summer window has fallen well short of my expectations in terms of re-building the squad to address last year's deficiencies.

We need to find solutions within the squad, which is at the feet of the coaching staff. We need to find a way to get Bradley and Elder up to speed and comfortable so they can showcase why we brought them to the football club on seriously good money. 

Still wouldn't surprise me if Ladapo came in on loan. Ipswich have just singed Scarlett which will put him further down the pecking order. With rumours of Collins going then a 4 of Waghorn , Wash , TJJ & Ladapo SHOULD be enough to get us out of this league.

Vaulks would be a good addition , someone who knows the league and knows how to get out of it. Breaks up play very well and loves a yellow card. Something I think we need , a bit of bite in midfield. 

1 minute ago, Blondest Goat said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but no I don’t think their addition makes us a top 2 squad. However I’m ok with that as my expectation this summer has never been that we’d have a top 2 squad.

I won’t lose any sleep over a lack of further reinforcements tomorrow if that is what transpires. I think there’s a better depth and balance to the squad as a collective than there was last season, despite the loss of some talented individuals. I might be wrong in that conclusion but that’s where I’m at and if we go into the season with this squad as it currently is I’ll accept that rather than being annoyed by something I have no control over.

1 minute ago, BLB said:

Still wouldn't surprise me if Ladapo came in on loan. Ipswich have just singed Scarlett which will put him further down the pecking order. With rumours of Collins going then a 4 of Waghorn , Wash , TJJ & Ladapo SHOULD be enough to get us out of this league.

Vaulks would be a good addition , someone who knows the league and knows how to get out of it. Breaks up play very well and loves a yellow card. Something I think we need , a bit of bite in midfield. 

Vaulks would be a good addition though a creative midfielder would have been nice.

If I was Barkhuisen I think I’d be looking for a move. Can’t really see regular football for him at Derby.

1 minute ago, dcfcjj said:

Are people not taking into account with what Barker has said, they themselves aren’t expecting anything?

Barker has downplayed expectations, so if nothing happens people should be aware that was a possibility, and if something does happen with the “irons in the fire” then it’s an added bonus.

I’m happy to say at this point I’d rather the window close with the squad we have, not losing a Bird or Cashin. Then it’s over to Warne and co to deliver the results with what they’ve got (a different discussion available on other threads). If Cashin is sold then I’d expect a replacement to sign. 

2 minutes ago, Topram said:

Didn’t expect much, thought we might get 1 more but we’ve signed 10 this summer, we only look a little weak due to injuries, not looking forward to the 11pm meltdown tomorrow 

Free agents can be signed after the deadline too right? So if there are a couple out there Warne has met who are holding out for champ moves, they could be added after the deadline.

Barker makes a very valid point that the deadline being tomorrow night is stupid. Lots of clubs and their players will have travelled for games etc, the deadline should be tonight