Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I like the idea of getting in two new midfielders as I don't particularly rate any of central midfielders. 

However, i agree that the addition of two more bodies would leave us bloated. Especially as it would appear that Thompson is looking the part.

Smith gives us cover at RB, so can't see him leaving. Unless we're adamant in bringing a new RB in. 

Ironically, that's just what we've got. Bodies. They're not a functional midfield. Bring anyone we can in to improve the team or we won't achieve a thing. Smith isn't good enough anymore, Hourihane isn't good enough anymore, could we potentially mask their deficiencies with some more athletic players around them? Maybe, but they're both gone at the end of the year regardless.

Just now, Srg said:

Ironically, that's just what we've got. Bodies. They're not a functional midfield. Bring anyone we can in to improve the team or we won't achieve a thing. Smith isn't good enough anymore, Hourihane isn't good enough anymore, could we potentially mask their deficiencies with some more athletic players around them? Maybe, but they're both gone at the end of the year regardless.

Amazes me so many are upset about potentially signing 2 new midfielders! 
Do people enjoy us being 💩

4 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

If we went say 4 at the back maybe not. Ward/Wilson/Smith Nelson Bradley Elder

Rooney and Fozzy cover both fullbacks and CB positions.

a compact back 4 might suit Bradley more than being exposed in this this wide back 3 we’ve been trying.

Not given the availability record of some of those defenders. Of the 6 who aren't out for at least 2 months (14 games):
Smith - played 40 league games in a season only once since 17/18
Nelson - only 27 league games in 22/23, and 30 in 21/22
Bradley - only 19 league games in 22/23, and 24 in 21/22
Elder - 29 league games in 22/23, 28 in 21/22
Rooney - only played in 10 career league games
Forsyth - other than last season, the most league games he's played in since 14/15 is 31

Warne still hasn't trusted Rooney to play the full 90 in back to back games yet either.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Once Bird is fit, that would be:
CMs: Bird, Hourihane, New, Smith, Thompson
AMs: New, Sibley

Possibly Bird played further forward as per the games so far this season. Either way, that's one body too many

I can't disagree, purely from a numbers point of view. It is one too many. 

Based on what I've seen so far this season, my feeling is that it is required. Sibley, obviously, hasn't had a chance to showcase himself which is a problem because if he comes out flying then you're fine there but with such limited time left of the window then you have to make a decision. 

This is under the assumption we are playing 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1. If the system changes, so do the requirements. 

My concern is we have certain positions where we have bodies now, but still lack quality. We need the players here to step up - which is great that Rooney and Thompson were able to at the weekend and play their part. 

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

6 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Amazes me so many are upset about potentially signing 2 new midfielders! 
Do people enjoy us being 💩

Then Warne should sell players who aren't part of his plans rather than make false promises. We're working to a tight budget, so any player not getting minutes of the pitch is a waste. Smith and Hourihane's roles should be reduced to squad players. With the injury to Bird, that means one of them would step up to a more regular role until he's back.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Then Warne should sell players who aren't part of his plans rather than make false promises. We're working to a tight budget, so any player not getting minutes of the pitch is a waste. Smith and Hourihane's roles should be reduced to squad players. With the injury to Bird, that means one of them would step up to a more regular role until he's back.

You've got to find teams to take them first. Don't know who would want them based on their wages, output and age.

I'd let Collins go if Shrewsbury want him and sell either Cashin or Bird (or both) and splash the money and wages that frees on a pacy forward, an athletic centre mid and if Cash goes bring in a Stearman type signing as cover.  

That's cost neutral and surely gives us better balance and suits Warne's philosophy better.  If we can't find those players when we have money to spend and should be an attractive club in this division then it's a major indictment of our recruitment dept -we all know the difficulties in making signings but it's the same every year for everyone yet somehow other clubs manage it. 

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bird, Wilson and Ward all out for 8 weeks. Then they have to get fit so Smith could well be playing right back. So that’s 2 of those midfielders you’ve listed not in midfield. Then Bird could go in January. Warne never signed and of the midfielders to be fair to him.

On 17/08/2023 at 22:01, Justa said:

I’ve heard PW has spoken to Tyrese Fornah today - believe he was on loan at Reading last season.

No idea how much truth is in it tbh.

I’ve heard that Tyrese Fornah has passed his medical and should be announced shortly.

Fingers crossed 🤞 

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

Would happily see us shift Hourihane and his presumed high wages. You play him 46 matches he'll come back with half decent numbers, but defensively he's not good enough and when the chips are down i don't have confidence that he'll score a worldie like he appeared to do at Barnsley and Villa.

4 minutes ago, 8Leeds said:

New players made improve the squad but it’s the tactics that need to be addressed. 

You could have whatever tactics you want with our current personnel and we would still be bad.