Summer Rumour Mill

sage

7 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Dom on bbc radio derby said today they’ve heard noise from the club we’re “very close to a couple midfielders”

So I’d imagine we’re going to announce 2 in the same day to get the fans more excited

I'll be very annoyed if it's 2 as it'll be a waste of budget. It means Thompson will drop down to 6th choice CM/AM, then down to 7th when Bird returns from injury - behind Hourihane, New, New, Smith, Sibley.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'll be very annoyed if it's 2 as it'll be a waste of budget. It means Thompson will drop down to 6th choice CM/AM, then down to 7th when Bird returns from injury - behind Hourihane, New, New, Smith, Sibley.

You must be content with a midfield that got outplayed by Wigan, Blackpool reserves, Burton for a good hour and Oxford then. Midfield is so important and we are getting beat in that area way too often for my liking. 
Hopefully we get 2. Smith can cover right back we know he can do a job there.

8 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

You must be content with a midfield that got outplayed by Wigan, Blackpool reserves, Burton for a good hour and Oxford then. Midfield is so important and we are getting beat in that area way too often for my liking. 
Hopefully we get 2. Smith can cover right back we know he can do a job there.

Why would I? I was adamant that Thompson should have been brought into the side for matchday 2 and should have started every game since. I also would introduce Sibley to the starting lineup once fit

The flaw wasn't having a midfield of Smith, Hourihane and Bird and asking them to play in such a way which leave every single one of them and the defence exposed to counters. A change in style would have addressed that problem.

I have not said we shouldn't sign one midfielder, quite the opposite. I have said I would be annoyed if we signed two midfielders when we already have: Bird, Hourihane, Smith, LThompson and Sibley, with DRobinson and Radcliffe waiting in reserve. Two signings would further compound the short sightedness of this entire summer transfer window.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we get a DCM with pace and a creative number 10 I'll be happy with 2 midfielders.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm not sure - it's clearly an area of concern when it shouldn't be but if we bring in two more that can't differentiate themselves from the others then that will be an issue. A defensive one and an attacking one would be ideal IMO. Two defensive ones absolutely help no one. I agree. 

6 minutes ago, sage said:

If we get a DCM with pace and a creative number 10 I'll be happy with 2 midfielders.

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not sure - it's clearly an area of concern when it shouldn't be but if we bring in two more that can't differentiate themselves from the others then that will be an issue. A defensive one and an attacking one would be ideal IMO. Two defensive ones absolutely help no one. I agree. 

Once Bird is fit, that would be:
CMs: Bird, Hourihane, New, Smith, Thompson
AMs: New, Sibley

Possibly Bird played further forward as per the games so far this season. Either way, that's one body too many

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why would I? I was adamant that Thompson should have been brought into the side for matchday 2 and should have started every game since. I also would introduce Sibley to the starting lineup once fit

The flaw wasn't having a midfield of Smith, Hourihane and Bird and asking them to play in such a way which leave every single one of them and the defence exposed to counters. A change in style would have addressed that problem.

I have not said we shouldn't sign one midfielder, quite the opposite. I have said I would be annoyed if we signed two midfielders when we already have: Bird, Hourihane, Smith, LThompson and Sibley, with DRobinson and Radcliffe waiting in reserve. Two signings would further compound the short sightedness of this entire summer transfer window.

Would it though? Hourihane and Smith are both nearly 33 (both in last there last year aren’t they) Bird will have half a season left when he’s fit again until he probably leaves on a free if not in January if we want anything for him, leaving those few young lads. 

1 minute ago, McMuffin said:

Would it though? Hourihane and Smith are both nearly 33 (both in last there last year aren’t they) Bird will have half a season left when he’s fit again until he probably leaves on a free if not in January if we want anything for him, leaving those few young lads. 

Sell (or release) before you buy

1 minute ago, McMuffin said:

Rather have a pacy striker or even winger. But what would we do with a winger? Okay a pacy striker.

Just now, McMuffin said:

Maybe one or both is coming on loan 

Then we'd still have 7 players for 3 positions during the final two thirds of a season. [Bird's currently pencilled in to return after 14 games and will be available for the next 32 games, or more if we progress in the cup or finish in the playoffs].

It's a waste of wages when it would be better spent on forwards (either one extra, or a higher quality player)

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Plus another centre back of course.

If we went say 4 at the back maybe not. Ward/Wilson/Smith Nelson Bradley Elder

Rooney and Fozzy cover both fullbacks and CB positions.

a compact back 4 might suit Bradley more than being exposed in this this wide back 3 we’ve been trying.

I like the idea of getting in two new midfielders as I don't particularly rate any of central midfielders. 

However, i agree that the addition of two more bodies would leave us bloated. Especially as it would appear that Thompson is looking the part.

Smith gives us cover at RB, so can't see him leaving. Unless we're adamant in bringing a new RB in.