Summer Rumour Mill

sage

23 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Whatever way you look at it, Clowes’ comments about our budget weren’t true. Would rather he just have told the truth and admit we haven’t got that much. 

This seems to be the popular urban myth on this forum.

What precisely did Clowes publically state about our budget this season.

As I'm sure for quite understandable reasons it was left as being purposely non specific and open to interpretation.

11 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

He'd make my starting 11. One of the top performing players in League 1 last season.

I think he’d be best suited to the left side of a 4 man midfield. He needs to stay left to make the most of his crossing ability and leave the centre to more mobile players. 
He would look an absolute star if we had someone who could head the flippin ball. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As I'm sure for quite understandable reasons it was left as being purposely non specific and open to interpretation.

He said the embargo on transfer, loan and agents fees have been lifted. We are now able to pay modest fees for players.

Whilst open to interpretation, you'd have to be a real pessimist to think it meant where we are now.

46 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

When the club you support has nearly ceased to exist then that outcome would be utterly depressing. 

Signing League 1 players isn't anywhere near that level. 

But I respect that different people have different levels of tolerance or stress or trigger points. 

It’s a hyperbolic statement for sure but that doesn’t change the point that if, and it’s a big if (but I’ve no reason to doubt big trav), our budget has been used up with what has already come in then it leaves us really short. 

I won’t refer to anyone who isn’t concerned as a happy clapper but at the same time it’s fine to be worried about the direction of the playing squad despite the fact that we nearly went out of existence because we cannot remain in league 1 for too much longer.

The one big positive for Clowes when running the club has been the volume of fans through the door. I’ll be there in future seasons regardless of what division we’re in but plenty won’t stop around for midtable scraps in league 1. 

My hope is that there’s a lot going on behind closed doors for recruitment into the older ages of the academy meaning that as these players start to be integrated into the team they’ll supplement these older free transfers in the next 18-24 months. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

He said the embargo on transfer, loan and agents fees have been lifted. We are now able to pay modest fees for players.

Whilst open to interpretation, you'd have to be a real pessimist to think it meant where we are now.

Im genuinely not trying to be argumentative or deliberately objectionable (for a change) but can't you see the semantics or weasel words or qualifiers or whatever the proper name is in DCs statement?

We are now able to pay modest fees for players doesn't say that we will be doing so though. Only that we are able to now. 

I totally admit I am a lot more cynical then then next person so when I read words like competitive or read quotes that really guarantee nothing then I basically interpret them as exactly that. Just words. Not guarantees of anything. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Im genuinely not trying to be argumentative or deliberately objectionable (for a change) but can't you see the semantics or weasel words or qualifiers or whatever the proper name is in DCs statement?

We are now able to pay modest fees for players doesn't say that we will be doing so though. Only that we are able to now. 

I totally admit I am a lot more cynical then then next person so when I read words like competitive or read quotes that really guarantee nothing then I basically interpret them as exactly that. Just words. Not guarantees of anything. 

When you announce that change but nothings changes it looks disingenuous.

I'm not reacting entirely to you, just engaging in opinions generally.

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Agree here, suggesting we can is far from suggesting we will. It may be that the budget is barely in 6 figures, it may be that Clowes will want every other avenue exploring before a fee is spent, and then spend only on the closest thing you can get to a 'sure bet' in football. Clowes isnt particularly wealthy in football club owner terms, he certainly doesn't strike me as a rash spender, so yeah he could offer us some manna in suggesting we could pay fees, but in real terms its not really going to happen.

Are we still in the bodies through the door stage? If so demonstrating that we pay fees now may make that job more expensive. A couple more windows and maybe we'll start seeing modest fees on the final few peices of the jigsaw.

Warne et al will say they expect promotion, they kinda need to when speaking about a club like Derby, but the rebuild is going to be massive and take years. I too fall for the sin of over expectation, but I wont be stunned if we stay in L1 for a bit and even have our lowest ever finish until we have fully found our feet.

Edited by Chopper

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Agree here, suggesting we can is far from suggesting we will. It may be that the budget is barely in 6 figures, it may be that Clowes will want every other avenue exploring before a fee is spent, and then spend only on the closest thing you can get to a 'sure bet' in football. Clowes isnt particularly wealthy in football club owner terms, he certainly doesn't strike me as a rash spender, so yeah he could offer us some manna in suggesting we could pay fees, but in real terms its not really going to happen.

Are we still in the bodies through the door stage? If so demonstrating that we pay fees now may make that job more expensive. A couple more windows and maybe we'll start seeing modest fees on the final few peices of the jigsaw.

Warne et al will say they expect promotion, they kinda need to when speaking about a club like Derby, but the rebuild is going to be massive and take years. I too fall for the sin of over expectation, but I wont be stunned if we stay in L1 for a bit and even have our lowest ever finish until we have fully found our feet.

Good luck to Warne if this is the case.

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If Hourihane is our top paid player and isn't making most peoples starting 11 I'd argue it's not just this summers spending which is hampering the budget!

James Collins too I guess, given the fact he still had a year to go on his Cardiff contract before it was mutually cancelled.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

He said our budget was a good one and when asked if it was bigger than rival clubs he said yes and then chose to say, Its big enough to get out this division.

Not sure there was anything to misinterpret 

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He said our budget was a good one and when asked if it was bigger than rival clubs he said yes and then chose to say, Its big enough to get out this division.

Not sure there was anything to misinterpret 

"Paul's been given a budget. I think it's a reasonably good budget for League One. I think it's good enough to get us out of the league. Now whether it does or not, this is football nothing is guaranteed"

Is it sizeable compared to other clubs in this league?

"It is, yes"

---

Nothing about rival clubs at all.

sizeable

/ˈsʌɪzəbl/

adjective

fairly large.

"a sizeable proportion of the population"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fy119y?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Podcast link, budget discussed at 43 minutes for anyone who prefers facts to people's own warped interpretations.

Ps. Come on @Caerphilly Ram this is supposed to be your job not mine! 😂

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

"Paul's been given a budget. I think it's a reasonably good budget for League One. I think it's good enough to get us out of the league. Now whether it does or not, this is football nothing is guaranteed"

Is it sizeable compared to other clubs in this league?

"It is, yes"

--- Nothing about rival clubs at all.

All other clubs in this league are our rivals aren't they?

46 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Didn’t Clowes talk about it taking 5 years somewhere? Perhaps worst case scenario but also perhaps showing he’s a realist. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

It’s a hyperbolic statement for sure but that doesn’t change the point that if, and it’s a big if (but I’ve no reason to doubt big trav), our budget has been used up with what has already come in then it leaves us really short. 

I won’t refer to anyone who isn’t concerned as a happy clapper but at the same time it’s fine to be worried about the direction of the playing squad despite the fact that we nearly went out of existence because we cannot remain in league 1 for too much longer.

The one big positive for Clowes when running the club has been the volume of fans through the door. I’ll be there in future seasons regardless of what division we’re in but plenty won’t stop around for midtable scraps in league 1. 

My hope is that there’s a lot going on behind closed doors for recruitment into the older ages of the academy meaning that as these players start to be integrated into the team they’ll supplement these older free transfers in the next 18-24 months. 

I thinks Clowes is trying to demonstrate that Derby have learnt from their financial mistakes and are a well run prudent club. 
would you rather have that than no club. The club will be here long after we have all gone, we need to make sure it’s in a fit state . Support Warne and the lads COYRs 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

All other clubs in this league are our rivals aren't they?

"Sizeable compared to other clubs in this league" is quite a bit different to stating "bigger than rival clubs" as was claimed.

Do you always have to focus in on the least relevant part of what somebody has posted?

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

"Sizeable compared to other clubs in this league" is quite a bit different to stating "bigger than rival clubs" as was claimed.

Do you always have to focus in on the least relevant part of what somebody has posted?

It was the most relevant part wasn't it - you were pulling the poster up on 'sizeable' when they'd put 'rivals'. So no it isn't quite a bit different. 

Edited by RoyMac5

23 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I thinks Clowes is trying to demonstrate that Derby have learnt from their financial mistakes and are a well run prudent club. 
would you rather have that than no club. The club will be here long after we have all gone, we need to make sure it’s in a fit state . Support Warne and the lads COYRs 

Nothing I’ve said is a dig at Clowes. Just to make clear. 

He sets the budget he doesn’t decide how to use the budget.