Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Honest assessment by Warne on Waghorn which settles my mind that he won't be the striker target but sounds like he's hoping to leave enough in the budget to keep him around for the season - Waghorn seems open to sticking around for now.

It also sounds like Thompson will be starting against Wigan and he's changed a few opinions around the club with his preseason. Great for him. 

The only other thing that surprised me was describing Korey Smith as a key player - perhaps we will be seeing a lot of him this season.

On Smith, I’ve thought from a lot of the pre season stuff that he’s been prominent, not necessarily on the pitch but it the promo pics, and training videos and the like. Playing a leadership role perhaps? 

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

On Smith, I’ve thought from a lot of the pre season stuff that he’s been prominent, not necessarily on the pitch but it the promo pics, and training videos and the like. Playing a leadership role perhaps? 

To be honest,  when u look at the demographics of our squad and the need to show ‘inclusivity’….👍

I have a feeling Waghorn will sign a deal, Listening back to Warnes interview he said how he really likes him as a guy. Which he constantly talks about as being imperative for him when signing someone, aswell as keeping round for a week I’m sure we’re doing lots on tactics etc. 

Edited by Eoghan1884

Just now, Eoghan1884 said:

Has anyone watched Warnes interview on YouTube, at the start there’s a player to his left in the jersey, you can only see the sleeve and looks like they’re having pictures taken in the kit. Wonder if it’s just an existing player or if it could be something else.

I would guess at it being the normal promo pics...

11 minutes ago, taggy180 said:

Smith holding gets the best out of hourihane and max bird so it's a no brainer. You only have to watch the first half against Stoke they showed glimpses of quality together 

I agree in possession. It’s out of possession that I worry. Smith is glacial across the turf. 

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

I agree in possession. It’s out of possession that I worry. Smith is glacial across the turf. 

I think this is going to be a problem in general all season.

The 3 of Smtih Hourihane and Bird looks great to me, at home when you are dominating possession. 

Its when we go away and need someone to a) put in a tackle and b) control the tempo a bit.

Its something we’ve been missing for years, barring the odd game Bielik wasn’t broken. 

Due to the 4 injured players ( Elder, Sibley, Barkhuizen & Washington), who wont be match fit, and the fact we have no other new players signed as of yet,  the team v Wigan picks itself..apart from Cashin or Fozzie?

If no other injuries:

Wildsmith

Nelson      Bradley      Cashin

Ward Bird Smith HourihanThompson

Mendez- Laing  Collins

Subs:

Vickers Forsyth Rooney Wilson Robinson Waghorn Brown

Edited by valakari
Forgot Robinson

Just now, valakari said:

Due to the 4 injured players ( Elder, Sibley, Barkhuizen & Washington), who wont be match fit, and the fact we have no other new players signed as of yet,  the team v Wigan picks itself..apart from Cashin or Fozzie?

If no other injuries:

Wildsmith

Mendez- Laing  Collins

Subs:

Vickers Forsyth Rooney Wilson Johnson Waghorn Brown

Warne said in his interview earlier that Barkhuizen and Washington started training this week so I guess there’s a chance they make the bench against Wigan.

He also said Elder should train next week but Sibley is out for a bit longer. 

5 minutes ago, valakari said:

If no other injuries:

Wildsmith

Mendez- Laing  Collins

Subs:

Doubt Johnson will be on the bench for the first team? Robinson more likely

2 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Doubt Johnson will be on the bench for the first team? Robinson more likely

Johnson isn’t even registered for the first team for league games, so he definitely won’t be. 

8 minutes ago, valakari said:

If no other injuries:

Wildsmith

Mendez- Laing  Collins

Subs:

On paper, that should still be enough to get past Wigan.

Bird needs to be the one playing further forward as well.

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Almost 3 weeks gone since a signing was last made, almost a week to go until the big kick off. 

I am guessing things aren't quite going to plan (attacking signings wise) and if they are, I'd love to know what the plan is.

Well I guess the plan as it stands with the players we have is to play two lads up front who have got 90 goals and two promotions between them at this level. Seems solid enough to me.