Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Just a quick thought, warne has 3 promotions from this division and not one of them did he have didzy in his team so I’m guessing he is capable of building a promotion side without him , as I’ve said before it’s not just goals scored it’s goals scored v goals let in balance 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yeah, let's write off a 19 year old player based on half a dozen cup appearances in his first season of senior football.

He is 20 and given opportunities last season. 

Edited by Magicman

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Tyler Walker was at Moor Farm yesterday - so I was told 

out of work since leaving Coventry - wasn’t he with us a while back when his dad worked here?

No, we had his younger brother, Lewis.

2 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Think Warne’s comments on how many more we want leaves us a bit short IMO. However, I guess at full fitness he doesn’t want 4/5 senior pros not making the match day squad so understand where he’s coming from. 

The forward options is were I’m getting the most anxiety from. Collins is ok, Washington is ok, NML and Barkhuizen good in patches but need competition. We could do with 2/3 high quality players to spearhead our attack.

5 signings takes us to a 23 man squad which is the ideal squad size. That's not including Oduroh and DRobinson who have started pre-season with the first team. It'll be supplemented by the academy, with the view to make alterations or cover for long term injuries in January. 

GKx3, CB x5, WBx3, CMx5, SSx4, CFx3

Anything bigger than that and it's wasted money.

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think the 5 Warne mentioned will be permanent signings and then a few loans on top. I reckon he has down played the number a little.

Definitely not. It's 5 plus replacements for anyone we end up selling.

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

5 signings takes us to a 23 man squad which is the ideal squad size. That's not including Oduroh and DRobinson who have started pre-season with the first team. It'll be supplemented by the academy, with the view to make alterations or cover for long term injuries in January. 

GKx3, CB x5, WBx3, CMx5, SSx4, CFx3

Anything bigger than that and it's wasted money.

Definitely not. It's 5 plus replacements for anyone we end up selling.

I love reading your opinions 👻

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

out of work since leaving Coventry - wasn’t he with us a while back when his dad worked here?

Would not be against Tyler Walker coming in. Never lived up to the potential but I think he could be quite useful.

32 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

You're both wrong - he's 20.

He was 19 when last season started and the assessment was based on last season which was my point. Unlike some of that age, he hadn't been exposed to senior football and half a dozen games, in my opinion, is nowhere hear enough to then say he's not good enough.

34 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Interesting option. I remember seeing his record over the past 2 years and not being impressed by the prospect of him joining.

On checking the stats, he has only 3 goals in 37 league games for Coventry. Pretty poor to say the least. However, he played an average of just 34 minutes in those games, with a goal every 299 minutes. When he was playing regularly (2018-2021), he scored 43 in 104 league games, with a goal every 182 minutes and a goal contribution every 145 mins.

His minutes per goal contribution record in league football:
Burton, L1, 20 years old - 151 mins
Stevenage, L2, 20 years old - 139 mins
Port Vale, L1, 21 years old - 145 mins
Forest, Championship, 21 years old - 140 mins
Bolton, Championship, 22 years old - N/A (196 mins, (no contributions)
Mansfield, L2, 22 years old - 144 mins
Lincoln, L1, 22/23 years old - 126 mins
Forest, Championship, 23 years old - 132 mins
Coventry (20/21), Championship, 24 years old - 181 mins

1 minute ago, Ram1988 said:

We need more than 3 wing backs for me, as it's probably the most demanding position on the pitch physically. Unless he sees Oduroh having a role to play this season? Or Sibley playing there again at times.

Ward
Oduroh
NML
Barkhuizen
Smith

Elder
Sibley
Forsyth

Warne said there's one more WB to come in and you could make a case for it being either a RWB or LWB. There's more cover at RWB in terms of numbers, but it's maybe less experienced/less competent?

If Harding does come in at CB as well, he also has experience at RWB.

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Ward
Oduroh
NML
Barkhuizen
Smith

Elder
Sibley
Forsyth

Warne said there's one more WB to come in and you could make a case for it being either a RWB or LWB. There's more cover at RWB in terms of numbers, but it's maybe less experienced/less competent?

Id like us to bring in a LWB and then Harding as like you say he covers the RWB slot too.

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Ward
Oduroh
NML
Barkhuizen
Smith

Elder
Sibley
Forsyth

Ideally it would be somone who is able to play on either side. That's good point about Harding that I didn't think of (if we sign him).

2 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Ward
Knight
Oduroh
NML
Barkhuizen
Rooney
Smith

Elder
Sibley
Barkhuizen
Forsyth

Added a couple. In the U21s, there will also be Bardell and Moore to cover RWB, and Moloney to cover LWB.

My top pick at the moment for the WB position is Tom Hamer. Reportedly available for £200-250k. 23 years old, primarily a RB/RWB and covers all defensive positions.

With Ward averaging 70% of total playtime in the league during the last 3 years and Elder just 60% (90% in the L1 season), there's plenty of game time to be had for someone who can cover both sides. LWBs don't typically cover the right so you'll struggle to find one, whereas RWBs often cover on the left.

Players who cover both flanks and are available for free are: Colin (31 years old), Byram (injury risk), Dabo (high competition), Fisher (hardly played for 3 seasons), Mitch Clark (gambling ban).

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Added a couple. In the U21s, there will also be Bardell and Moore to cover RWB, and Moloney to cover LWB.

My top pick at the moment for the WB position is Tom Hamer. Reportedly available for £200-250k. 23 years old, primarily a RB/RWB and covers all defensive positions.

With Ward averaging 70% of total playtime in the league during the last 3 years and Elder just 60% (90% in the L1 season), there's plenty of game time to be had for someone who can cover both sides. LWBs don't typically cover the right so you'll struggle to find one, whereas RWBs often cover on the left.

Players who cover both flanks and are available for free are: Colin (31 years old), Byram (injury risk), Dabo (high competition), Fisher (hardly played for 3 seasons), Mitch Clark (gambling ban).

Turns out we're actually pretty stacked then, just not with players who are natural WBs! 😂

Hamer's a great shout. Burton also had Zac Ashworth (LWB) on loan from WBA last season, who was decent apparently.