Summer Rumour Mill

sage

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Another reason why I suspect we are trying hard for Wes Harding

Only issue with that is the height of our centre backs. We’d have the tallest at 6ft, and the other two not even that. 

27 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Any thoughts on who you would like or think may come in to provide the goals?

Pennington was my preferred option, but he's just joined Blackpool instead.

Harding is the obvious one. Worked woth Warne before so knows what he wants. Also covers RWB.

I thought Josh Knight looked like a very promising CB when at Wycombe in the Championship. Hasn't quite looked the same since joining Peterborough but is now available on a free.

Michael Rose is available on a free since his contract at Coventry is expiring. A good ball playing CB and fairly good in the air.

43 minutes ago, Srg said:

Only issue with that is the height of our centre backs. We’d have the tallest at 6ft, and the other two not even that. 

Yes agreed - could be an issue, especially in this division

You’d imagine Warne is aware though. If we’re going to play 3 at the back I think we need to sign 2 more centre halves anyway, so perhaps one of those will be a taller player. 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes agreed - could be an issue, especially in this division

You’d imagine Warne is aware though. If we’re going to play 3 at the back I think we need to sign 2 more centre halves anyway, so perhaps one of those will be a taller player. 

Warne said in his interview earlier we'll only be signing 1 CB

8 hours ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith Vickers 

Ward Rooney 

Elder  x 

Fozzie Cashin Nelson x 

Bird Smith Thomo Robinson Hourihane 

Sibley Knight Barkhusien NML x 

Collins x x 

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More like...

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
CB: ???, Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth, Rooney
WB: Ward, Elder, ???
CM: Bird, Hourihane, Knight, Smith, Tommo, DRobinson
SS: ???, Sibley, Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen
CF: ???, ???, Collins

Kwaku Oduroh was in pre-season training today with the first team squad as well.

Warne mentioned he was looking for 5 more players, without outgoings. I assume Bielik wasn’t even a consideration as he hasn’t been here since we were in the Championship. I do think 5 more, with outgoings replaced, leaves us still quite short. 

GK - Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach. 

DF - Cashin, Nelson, XXX, Forsyth, Rooney.

WB - Elder, Ward, XXX, Oduroh.

CM - Bird, Knight, Hourihane, Smith, Thompson.

AM - XXX, Barkhuizen, NML, Sibley. 

ST - XXX, Collins, XXX

Not too bad if we can keep everyone fit. The U21s are going to be revamped so hopefully they bring in some talent we can lean on. I’d definitely look at bringing in an additional bodies, perhaps on loan, to lean on. 

Think Warne’s comments on how many more we want leaves us a bit short IMO. However, I guess at full fitness he doesn’t want 4/5 senior pros not making the match day squad so understand where he’s coming from. 

The forward options is were I’m getting the most anxiety from. Collins is ok, Washington is ok, NML and Barkhuizen good in patches but need competition. We could do with 2/3 high quality players to spearhead our attack.

32 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Theo Walcott is training with Reading . Near the end of last season he was causing Prem teams problems. He would get 25 goals in our division.With the Beilik money now available he should be on our wish list. 

That would be like going out of the frying pan into the fire Jim, Walcott would probably want similar wages to Bielik and spend as much time on the treatment table

48 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Theo Walcott is training with Reading . Near the end of last season he was causing Prem teams problems. He would get 25 goals in our division.With the Beilik money now available he should be on our wish list. 

Reading have signed the Ex Southampton manager Ruben Selles...so only guessing here, Doing Walcott a favour or looking to see if he fits Reading FC, If Walcott moves to Reading it shows his standing has fallen so far that no one in the Championship sees him as a good deal...and how much would he be on...I believe Reading are short of a Loot🤷‍♀️

54 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think the 5 Warne mentioned will be permanent signings and then a few loans on top. I reckon he has down played the number a little.

I hope so.  Another five and some loans will make it feel a lot more like the rebuild I was expecting and Warne hinted at in his post season interview.  

The signings we've made have been decent but losing Didzy means there is barely any goals in the squad based on the way we finished last season.  Will feel much happier once this has been addressed.  

Edited by Blondest Goat