Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

1. Indeed. We used, IIRC, 21 players last season. All we had if you discount the 2nd and 3rd keepers. No chance to rotate players who needed a rest. No chance to rotate a player to prevent him being in need of a rest.

2. If you discount Loach and Oduroh, we currently have 14 senior players. 5 or 6 new players? We need between 10 and 12 or we'll be back in the same situation we were in last season, running out of steam.

Rosenoir knew that to field a team derby had to have a minimum number of players, agree or disagree with who he brought in, he still managed to sign a lot of players in a very short time. PW has got a lot more experience than Rosenoir, so i would have expected at least 1 signing in the days since the window opened. 

Last season we missed out on a number of free agents signings before we came to the table, the window between when Rosenoir began to sign players and when PW signs his first player is narrowing. Rosenoir in my opinion was left with having to sign any player he could find that was willing to sign, and not looking at building at a particular formation. As a tactic it appeared to get us very close to the play offs at least, i admit PW was largely responsible for the tactics, but it was largely Rosenoirs selection.

The players Rosenoir signed, i dont think, were told that they they had to be a certain type of player to be able to play.

24 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Rosenoir knew that to field a team derby had to have a minimum number of players, agree or disagree with who he brought in, he still managed to sign a lot of players in a very short time. PW has got a lot more experience than Rosenoir, so i would have expected at least 1 signing in the days since the window opened. 

Last season we missed out on a number of free agents signings before we came to the table, the window between when Rosenoir began to sign players and when PW signs his first player is narrowing. Rosenoir in my opinion was left with having to sign any player he could find that was willing to sign, and not looking at building at a particular formation. As a tactic it appeared to get us very close to the play offs at least, i admit PW was largely responsible for the tactics, but it was largely Rosenoirs selection.

The players Rosenoir signed, i dont think, were told that they they had to be a certain type of player to be able to play.

If a player signs today, can they train with their teammates sooner than if they sign next Monday? Or Tuesday? Or even next Friday? 
You are complaining about a problem that doesn’t exist based on your own personal expectations 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:.

2. If you discount Loach and Oduroh, we currently have 14 senior players. 5 or 6 new players? We need between 10 and 12 or we'll be back in the same situation we were in last season, running out of steam.

I wouldn’t include Loach or Oduroh, both will get their minutes in the u21s next season.

For whatever reason Loach is not fancied and will be a training Gk again next year I think and if you watched any of the u21s games Oduroh is nowhere near first team ready. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What sort of game time are you expecting him to get if he stays? Historically, Warne has mostly used just 4 CBs throughout a season, with 5th choice rarely getting over 500 minutes on the pitch in all competition.
It would be in his best interests to go out and play every game for another side. Add a recall clause for January so we can reassess his development and look to making him a regular in our first team. At the moment, he's not good enough to be a regular in a top 2 side.

I think he needs to be one of those 4 CBs, or we move him on.  If he's the 4th choice CB and maybe starts 10-15 games there, has another 10+ sub appearances, and maybe gets some game-time at right wingback or in midfield, then I think that's fine for his development, with a view to him being one of the first choice 3 the season after.

If he goes out and plays a bunch of games for a lesser side, is he going to come straight back in and play for us? Probably not this season, if we've signed someone else to be that 4th choice CB.  And if we go up, then does he come in and play regularly at Championship level? Probably not.  So what are we actually holding on to him for?  We end up with a 22 year old player who's not established himself and we move him on anyway.  League One should be the perfect chance to really blood youngsters like him.

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

I know that 4 that are done/ very close to done

I guess you don't want to break confidences.....but that's a Guinness book of world records carrot for us all there.  Without revealing names, do we get even a little bit excited or will we just shrug and say oh well, guess he's not a complete donkey.........?

36 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

League One should be the perfect chance to really blood youngsters like him.

Not really if you're hoping to finish top two.  Let him go out on loan and learn from his mistakes at another club.  He could come back in January or next season a much better player.

39 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Turning out to be a distinctly underwhelming acquisition, sadly. Too early to write him off completely, but it's not looking great as things stand.

Warnes "we don't have a right back at the club" comment didn't improve the lads confidence then?  🤔 

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne says a few mins in that he can’t say who but we are close to announcing a few signings

🤞🤞

I feel announcing a couple will put people's anxieties to ease that we are in the market and meaning business.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

What sort of game time are you expecting him to get if he stays? Historically, Warne has mostly used just 4 CBs throughout a season, with 5th choice rarely getting over 500 minutes on the pitch in all competition.
It would be in his best interests to go out and play every game for another side. Add a recall clause for January so we can reassess his development and look to making him a regular in our first team. At the moment, he's not good enough to be a regular in a top 2 side.

I am not so sure. He hasn’t had enough games in a row to judge that. He did have a couple of games where he got a bit caught, a bit in the headlights, but in terms of consistency, for a young player, I thought he did well overall whenever he was used. He also has physical stature which this team is a bit short of. Good point I suppose if you are using the “top 2 side” filter but while we may want to be top two, we aren’t and the full make up of the current squad isn’t. Jake is no worse or better than anything we have. If he was in our starting team for the first game of the season I wouldn’t worry one bit. He is more than capable.