Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

2 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You've stated Hugil only scored once/didn't do a great deal at non league.

But I'll flip the coin and say the same about Liam Thompson when he went out on loan last season - Yet I'd argue he's been one of the standouts during pre season for us.

I've mentioned Waghorn because he isn't the answer moving forward - We are fixated with ex players for some reason, ex players who have never actually achieved a thing here but fans would still have them back however old they are (don't get me started on Chris Martin).

We need an exciting talent a'la El Hamdaoui, Thorne, Jordan Ibe. Someone whose raw and a relative unknown who'll offer something different and will have something to prove, whether that be with the parent club or themselves.

No more past it 33 year olds

I sort of see your point in that I think you’re championing the signing of younger players who might offer something different and exciting with longevity and resale value rather than established but older players….however using Jordon Ibe to support your point isn’t the strongest example given how he last spell turned out. Ebiowei maybe a better option?
There’s no guarantees with any signings, for every Thorne or Ebiowei there’s a Bobby Duncan or second stint Jordon Ibe. If Waghorn signs, it’s to do a job and there’s no amount of worrying or grumbling on our part that changes it, we’ve just got to trust/hope/pray he can still contribute on the pitch to our continued recovery and success as a club. 

9 minutes ago, Papahet said:

You've stated Hugil only scored once/didn't do a great deal at non league.

But I'll flip the coin and say the same about Liam Thompson when he went out on loan last season - Yet I'd argue he's been one of the standouts during pre season for us.

I've mentioned Waghorn because he isn't the answer moving forward - We are fixated with ex players for some reason, ex players who have never actually achieved a thing here but fans would still have them back however old they are (don't get me started on Chris Martin).

We need an exciting talent a'la El Hamdaoui, Thorne, Jordan Ibe. Someone whose raw and a relative unknown who'll offer something different and will have something to prove, whether that be with the parent club or themselves.

No more past it 33 year olds

Like Didzy you mean? Oh no - he was 34.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

There’s apparently now hold ups in loan moves for Jay Stansfield and Lewis Fiorini to Reading due to their embargo.

Fiorini would be a decent option for us in the #10 position if we’re looking at loans.

Reading weren't messing about in the transfer market - signing good young players so it's a bit of a godsend this second embargo. Florini has already proven himself as a very good player at this level and Stansfield grew into himself last season, finishing the season on a high. Both would've been good signings. 

16 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Reading weren't messing about in the transfer market - signing good young players so it's a bit of a godsend this second embargo. Florini has already proven himself as a very good player at this level and Stansfield grew into himself last season, finishing the season on a high. Both would've been good signings. 

Noise on Twitter suggesting the hmrc bill now paid. There’s one journalist who says it’s paid, so the embargo could be lifted and in the same tweet he says the de-registration of existing signings could happen. It’s clear as mud really what’s going on there. 😵‍💫

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Noise on Twitter suggesting the hmrc bill now paid. There’s one journalist who says it’s paid, so the embargo could be lifted and in the same tweet he says the de-registration of existing signings could happen. It’s clear as mud really what’s going on there. 😵‍💫

To me, call me mental, but if you’ve been in an embargo and then immediately do the same thing and get an embargo again, you shouldn’t be allowed to come straight back out of an embargo once again?!

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

To me, call me mental, but if you’ve been in an embargo and then immediately do the same thing and get an embargo again, you shouldn’t be allowed to come straight back out of an embargo once again?!

And that’s my point before about the EFL. There seems to be a lack of logic to the approach. 
Reading’s situation isn’t the same as ours so not comparing that as such, but the EFL’s management of both seems once again more than a little suspect.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Definitely needs to be investigating one way or another - is this something of an accounting error or something more sinister? If I was a Reading fan, either way, I would be worried about the reliance on the current owner. He's spending way beyond the club's sustainability levels and 9k season tickets doesn't get you very far. 

I don't think any club should be punished for a genuine accounting error, but equally these things should come with stipulations, i.e. fronting future costs to come out of an embargo for things like HMRC payments that have caused problems. They tried it with Wigan prior to their takeover. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Could we be after another Huddersfield striker? A 6ft 9in target man is certainly a different option to what we have. And at 23 years old might appeal to those opposing Rhodes and Waghorn 🤔 

I hope not - not sure what he's done to earn a move to League One either? 

He struggled in League Two with AFC Wimbledon and was recalled in January. He got quite a regular hammering from their fans and most of them celebrated his recall. He's probably more suited to non-league football as he seemed to do ok for Solihull the year before. 

3 minutes ago, silhillian said:

No, no and thrice no! Not even a good non-league player. Makes Kevin Francis look like Bergkamp!

Wasn’t really a genuine suggestion on my part. Just wondering if we’d be one of the 3 clubs given our recent costing up to Huddersfield. Lots of fans calling for a younger, different type of striker to those we’ve been linked with…he ticks those boxes, even if he might be a bit rubbish 😉 

10 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Wasn’t really a genuine suggestion on my part. Just wondering if we’d be one of the 3 clubs given our recent costing up to Huddersfield. Lots of fans calling for a younger, different type of striker to those we’ve been linked with…he ticks those boxes, even if he might be a bit rubbish 😉 

Frankly, if we are looking at a third striker (or 4th?) rather than a starter, it might as well be a 6ft 9 wild card than Waghorn. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I hope not - not sure what he's done to earn a move to League One either? 

He struggled in League Two with AFC Wimbledon and was recalled in January. He got quite a regular hammering from their fans and most of them celebrated his recall. He's probably more suited to non-league football as he seemed to do ok for Solihull the year before. 

He seems to be a difficult one to judge, as he hasn't really had much game time, but still has a reasonable contribution when he does.

22/23 - 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 EFL Trophy games for AFC Wimbledon, but then only given 291 minutes in the league, spread over 13 games (144 mins per contribution in all competitions)

21/22 - 5 goals in 26 games, but he only played 799 minutes (160 minutes per goal)

20/21 - 10 goals in 36 games (195 mins per goal)