Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

Think we need a real big and strong forward able to win crosses in the box since that seem to be one of our main goal threats if I understand what Warne is aiming for this season. To have a big 'un up top who actually has a 50/50 to win a header against a CB is a bit underrated in todays game. It does'nt have to be more complicated than a good ball into the box, get on to it and have some eager runners around to exploit the chaos. Sad to say our crosses during the last seasons have been L2 level at best though.

Edited by InstaRam

15 hours ago, InstaRam said:

Think we need a real big and strong forward able to win crosses in the box since that seem to be one of our main goal threats if I understand what Warne is aiming for this season. To have a big 'un up top who actually has a 50/50 to win a header against a CB is a bit underrated in todays game. It does'nt have to be more complicated than a good ball into the box, get on to it and have some eager runners around to exploit the chaos. Sad to say our crosses during the last seasons have been L2 level at best though.

If we are going all in on the wing backs and crossing wide players then two centre forwards on the pitch is a must and one of them has to win headers - it’s the third division just get Andy Carroll in because if he gets the service he will win games in half an hour which would be the average he would play anyway 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If we are going all in on the wing backs and crossing wide players then two centre forwards on the pitch is a must and one of them has to win headers - it’s the third division just get Andy Carroll in because if he gets the service he will win games in half an hour which would be the average he would play anyway 

He's got another year at Reading, like you say could be a problem for L1 unfortunately won't be with us!

59 minutes ago, YouRams said:

He's got another year at Reading, like you say could be a problem for L1 unfortunately won't be with us!

Looking at their situation they would probably let him leave I suspect and he may well want too, currently we have no one to win hardly any headers in open play 

55 minutes ago, Magicman said:

I prefer a young big striker on loan to complete the forward line. Doubt we play 2 up front much. Get a creative midfielder in for a fee and the Bristol WB to complete the defensive unit. 

Do you know of any of those forwards? That would be allowed into league one. I thought the whole idea of having wing backs was to play two centre forwards and cross the ball to them.

33 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Do you know of any of those forwards? That would be allowed into league one. I thought the whole idea of having wing backs was to play two centre forwards and cross the ball to them.

We had Osula last year . I would play a no10 behind no 9 hence NML & Washington. 

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

We had Osula last year . I would play a no10 behind no 9 hence NML & Washington. 

Osula never headed a football and managed nothing apart from Accrington away in the league - he was in fact very poor. So you would currently be having the ball go to collins where the defender heads it 30 yards into our half ?

There's only so much you can divine from statistics. Sometimes players contribute to goals with no credit attached to them.

This is a perfect example:

Collins' run takes both Barnsley's centrebacks away from the ball, giving NML the freedom of the postcode.

Does Collins get an assist? No. Has he contributed to the goal? Yes.

From what I've seen, it appears Washington's an enabler. He's said himself he wants to be running at players, running in behind is his favourite thing to do - if he's doing that and giving space for Collins etc. then that's perfectly okay with me.

I think we need 1 more up front, more in the 23-28 age range, then I'm hoping that Brown can step up too to give us 4 options. May as well be him than a loanee, he has a lot of attributes that we'd want from a loanee anyway. The rest of the budget would be better in the creative department. Don't trust Barkhuizen, NML is good but you don't want him playing as many minutes as last season. Kind of only leaves you with Sibley in those attacking midfield positions.

I wondered who players like Sam Smith and Wes Harding (frees that have been suggested a fair few times) are actually linked to. I had a bit of a browse online and I can't actually see any solid links anywhere, which is pretty strange given that it's been nearly a fortnight since their contracts expired with their old clubs.

The more I look into it, the more I think Sam Smith would be a really good option for us. In his last two seasons in League One, he's missed 1 game. That's very impressive on his own. He's managed 28 goals over two seasons, so you're looking at around 1 in 3. He's played for Cambridge United in both seasons, who finished 20th last season, surviving by 1 point, and 14th the season before, so faring a bit better. Last season he scored 13 of Cambridge's 41 goals, that's more than twice as many as their second highest scorer managed (6). He pretty much kept them up single-handedly.

He's a player who came through at Reading but never really got a chance there, and was shipped around to 6 different clubs on loan over 5 years and didn't have a great scoring record at any of them. As soon as he found a new home as the main man, he's been impressive and he definitely deserves a chance at a better side than Cambridge now.

He's 25 and the kind of player where 1 or 2 good seasons would see the opportunity to make a decent profit on him. His strength is listed as finishing, and his weakness as offside awareness, so clearly he's a player who will look to run behind and take any chances he gets, he sounds like a very good option to rotate with Washington.

He's also capable of scoring goals like this, which is worth a punt just on its own.

26 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I wondered who players like Sam Smith and Wes Harding (frees that have been suggested a fair few times) are actually linked to. I had a bit of a browse online and I can't actually see any solid links anywhere, which is pretty strange given that it's been nearly a fortnight since their contracts expired with their old clubs.

The more I look into it, the more I think Sam Smith would be a really good option for us. In his last two seasons in League One, he's missed 1 game. That's very impressive on his own. He's managed 28 goals over two seasons, so you're looking at around 1 in 3. He's played for Cambridge United in both seasons, who finished 20th last season, surviving by 1 point, and 14th the season before, so faring a bit better. Last season he scored 13 of Cambridge's 41 goals, that's more than twice as many as their second highest scorer managed (6). He pretty much kept them up single-handedly.

He's a player who came through at Reading but never really got a chance there, and was shipped around to 6 different clubs on loan over 5 years and didn't have a great scoring record at any of them. As soon as he found a new home as the main man, he's been impressive and he definitely deserves a chance at a better side than Cambridge now.

He's 25 and the kind of player where 1 or 2 good seasons would see the opportunity to make a decent profit on him. His strength is listed as finishing, and his weakness as offside awareness, so clearly he's a player who will look to run behind and take any chances he gets, he sounds like a very good option to rotate with Washington.

He's also capable of scoring goals like this, which is worth a punt just on its own.

Completely agree with you and would be shocked (and a bit disappointed) if he is not under consideration.

saying that, @Kokosnusswill be along shortly to tell you why you’re wrong about Smith 😉