Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

13 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Would any of the following players, have significantly improved our clubs attacking line ... 

Josh Gordon (Barrow) to Burton,

Cole Stockton (Morecambe) to Burton,

Danny Mayor (Plymouth) to Fleetwood,

Reeco Hackett-Fairchild (Portsmouth) to Lincoln,

Christian Saydee (Bournemouth) to Portsmouth,

Conor Shaughnessy (Burton) to Portsmouth,

Anthony Scully (Wigan) to Portsmouth,

Dan Agyei (Crewe) to Leyton Orient,

Ethan Galbraith (Man United) to Leyton Orient,

Max Sanders (Lincoln) to Leyton Orient,

Alistair Smith (Sutton) to Lincoln.

Whytte to Portsmouth

Even if you could argue that Collins is head and shoulders above this lot, they’re all streets ahead of our next recognised CF.

But you can’t really say we’ve missed out until we can compare with Warne’s signings at the end of the window.

36 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Would any of the following players, have significantly improved our clubs attacking line ... 

Whytte to Portsmouth

I have heard the names of a couple of them but maybe scooby doo will know if they will be good signings 

2 hours ago, Oldben said:

Whytte to Portsmouth

No.         

Stop Motion No GIF by Mouse

Dan Agyei could possibly have been of interest. He's had stints in League One before without much impact on the scoring charts but he's been played LW, RW, CF (+ more) and so never really had a settled role and his minutes have usually been rather limited.

However, 2020/21 in L1 saw him get 5 goals and 5 assists, playing 1280 mins (equiv 14 full games so that's actually very good) but the following season he was back to the bench and a solitary goal from 894 mins.

Needed a drop down to League Two, 14 goals last season.

There's not really any obvious reason to think he'll fare any better this time and you have to wonder why he doesn't get more game time.

Only 26 though, his career could suddenly have sprung to life.

Screenshot_2023-07-03-10-45-32-014_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.a6c8a9464762fc7d8c240cdf6c55415f.jpg

Edited by Kokosnuss

A blast from the past, but wonder what the plans are for Taden Mengi this season - a right sided centre half, good leadership qualities for a young player. Doubtful he has a genuine future at United. I wonder if he's someone who we could sign permanently and develop. 

He's just turned 21 - he would've been 19 when he signed for us and although didn't pull up any trees wasn't completely uncomfortable. 

My only concern would be his injury history at such a young age, no idea how serious that is or whether it's something that is going to continue to hamper his career. 

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Dan Agyei could possibly have been of interest. He's had stints in League One before without much impact on the scoring charts but he's been played LW, RW, CF (+ more) and so never really had a settled role and his minutes have usually been rather limited.

However, 2020/21 in L1 saw him get 5 goals and 5 assists, playing 1280 mins (equiv 14 full games so that's actually very good) but the following season he was back to the bench and a solitary goal from 894 mins.

Needed a drop down to League Two, 14 goals last season.

There's not really any obvious reason to think he'll fare any better this time and you have to wonder why he doesn't get more game time.

Only 26 though, his career could suddenly have sprung to life.

Screenshot_2023-07-03-10-45-32-014_com.android.chrome-edit.thumb.jpg.a6c8a9464762fc7d8c240cdf6c55415f.jpg

Already signed for Leyton Orient

There’s probably a reason why these players go to burton or orient either they lack ambition or are simply not considered good enough. 

Besides bar flint or Bradley or Harding I’d rather pay loan fees for all the other signings.

if we’re in need of recruitment spend the money in January.

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

There’s probably a reason why these players go to burton or orient either they lack ambition or are simply not considered good enough. 

Or they might want to get game time and experience, and prove themselves capable in League One competition. Just for the record, you do know little old Burton and Orient are playing in the same league as us this season?

for context ... i wasnt actually thinking are we missing out on certain players. I am just wondering if how many players we might at this point have missed out on, in as much as they could improve our current overall squad. i wanted to look at strikers, but may be attacking midfielders should also be looked at.

I think we probably need to sign 3 new strikers, especially as i dont consider collins as good enough or to be a player that will score a huge amount of goals in the coming season and even if he could he cant be expected to lead the line for multiple games.

The club has both a limited transfer budget and needs to rely on free agents and loan players. With that in mind are there players we have missed out on that could have improved the current squad.

Our current squad seemed exhausted towards the end of the season, not many of our players looked like contributing a lot of goals.

At the end of last season, our team was not strong enough to secure a play off place.

44 minutes ago, Oldben said:

for context ... i wasnt actually thinking are we missing out on certain players. I am just wondering if how many players we might at this point have missed out on, in as much as they could improve our current overall squad. i wanted to look at strikers, but may be attacking midfielders should also be looked at.

I think we probably need to sign 3 new strikers, especially as i dont consider collins as good enough or to be a player that will score a huge amount of goals in the coming season and even if he could he cant be expected to lead the line for multiple games.

The club has both a limited transfer budget and needs to rely on free agents and loan players. With that in mind are there players we have missed out on that could have improved the current squad.

Our current squad seemed exhausted towards the end of the season, not many of our players looked like contributing a lot of goals.

At the end of last season, our team was not strong enough to secure a play off place.

Due to long term injuries, a reluctance to use the academy, and not making full use of the loan system, we effectively had a 15 man squad for the league last season (those who played more than 100 minutes)

We will be increasing the effective first team squad from 15 to 20-22 - a considerable increase.

Warne has commented that we will aim to sign 3 'forwards'. This will almost certainly be 2 CFs and 1 AM/SS/W.

56 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Due to long term injuries, a reluctance to use the academy, and not making full use of the loan system, we effectively had a 15 man squad for the league last season (those who played more than 100 minutes)

We will be increasing the effective first team squad from 15 to 20-22 - a considerable increase.

Warne has commented that we will aim to sign 3 'forwards'. This will almost certainly be 2 CFs and 1 AM/SS/W.

thats against the backdrop of a limited transfer budget and free agents. My concern is that many of the ok striker free agents have been signed already? Given that warne is looking at signing 3 forwards

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I make it 17 first team players last season even if you don't include Springett, Davies, Chester and Stearman.  We will also no doubt have injuries next season so it's not going to be a hugely increased squad size.

Edited by Blondest Goat

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

I make it 17 first team players last season even if you don't include Springett, Davies, Chester and Stearman.  We will also no doubt have injuries next season so it's not going to be a hugely increased squad size.

Davies made the cut. The other 3 you listed didn't. Neither did Rooney or Osula, who I'm guessing you included in your 17, who onpy played for 1012 minutes combined in the league. White too? He only featured for 537 minutes.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Davies made the cut. The other 3 you listed didn't. Neither did Rooney or Osula, who I'm guessing you included in your 17, who onpy played for 1012 minutes combined in the league. White too? He only featured for 537 minutes.

I included Rooney and White, not Osula.  I'm assuming that your 20 - 22 will also include a couple of loans who could be provide minimal game time. Coupled with the inevitable injuries I'm not convinced in terms of raw numbers we'll be much better resourced this season than last.  Hope you're right and I'm wrong.