3142 Next Season - Who will survive?

sage

23 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Key players will leave because we’re not getting promoted. Do you doubt it  ? 

Key players leaving isn’t the same as;

41 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

The players he’ll want will not be as good as several who have been playing this year and who will leave 😞 

Key players will leave, and will be replaced, that’s typically what happens. While I’d be gutted to see the likes of Sibley, Knight, Bird or Cashin leave because they have talent and potential still, plus they’re home grown and I love the romance of a home grown player doing well for the team, none of them are irreplaceable. And the reality of where we are as a club is if they were top, top players we’d sell them and lose them anyway. 

Warne might not sign players who are individually as good as a Knight or Bird or Sibley, he also might surprise us and be able to find the odd gem, Barlaser was a decent pick up for Rotherham wasn’t he? So long as the players he does bring in can combine into a successful team that is more than the sum of its parts I’d accept that some players had to move on, that’s very much the nature of football. 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Key players will leave, and will be replaced, that’s typically what happens. While I’d be gutted to see the likes of Sibley, Knight, Bird or Cashin leave because they have talent and potential still, plus they’re home grown and I love the romance of a home grown player doing well for the team, none of them are irreplaceable. And the reality of where we are as a club is if they were top, top players we’d sell them and lose them anyway. 

Warne might not sign players who are individually as good as a Knight or Bird or Sibley, he also might surprise us and be able to find the odd gem, Barlaser was a decent pick up for Rotherham wasn’t he? So long as the players he does bring in can combine into a successful team that is more than the sum of its parts I’d accept that some players had to move on, that’s very much the nature of football. 

All the things I would have said but can’t be arsed.😂

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

The players he’ll want will not be as good as several who have been playing this year and who will leave 😞 

Based on what? Most of the players we had this season didn't stand out at league one level. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Based on what? Most of the players we had this season didn't stand out at league one level. 

Oh but some on here saying our hastily assembled squad should have trounced the league and its a failure! You are totally correct mostly they didnt. I have come to love this phoenix squad for buying in to us and the rebuild but for substantial periods some were inconsistent and didnt perform at the level needed for long enough. Hence why we could pick them up probably. 
Didzy was a revelation at his stage of career but his goals and play papered over many cracks.
Early in the season someone on motd or something said Man City's general quality of play this season wouldnt be as good as the aim was to always get the ball to Haaland who undoubtedly did the business (and some) and I think we suffered from sort of the same thing whereby at the end of the season particularly there seemed a determination to always get the ball to Didzy when other options may sometimes have been better. Not saying its Didzy's fault and with finishing we saw from others perhaps understandable before people jump on my comment as being anti-Didzy!! Just a thought

9 hours ago, Foreveram said:

How about you answer my question, how do you know the players we bring in won’t be as good.

We’ve got a couple of young internationals who will be told by all and sundry that to progress they need to be playing in the championship at least. That happened with Bielik, and Knight more or less said that months ago. Basically, they are too good for div 1. Sure, I guess there is a chance that (under restrictions) we will be able to attract players coming into their prime who are too good for div 1. But I doubt it. Hope I’m wrong 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

We’ve got a couple of young internationals who will be told by all and sundry that to progress they need to be playing in the championship at least. That happened with Bielik, and Knight more or less said that months ago. Basically, they are too good for div 1. Sure, I guess there is a chance that (under restrictions) we will be able to attract players coming into their prime who are too good for div 1. But I doubt it. Hope I’m wrong 

Isn't Knight our only young full international? He will probably go sure. Let's be honest though, Knight hasn't been as good this year as we've seen from him in the past. He will be a miss, but he has not shown himself to be irreplaceable.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Isn't Knight our only young full international? He will probably go sure. Let's be honest though, Knight hasn't been as good this year as we've seen from him in the past. He will be a miss, but he has not shown himself to be irreplaceable.

I was counting Cashin as well, who has at times looked stunning this season. You are right,  Knight has not progressed or even kept his form from last season. That’s partly my point. He’s surrounded by fewer players who suit him. He looked better alongside Byrne and Jozwiak. He’s played out of position. I wonder also if he’s been demotivated by playing alongside senior players who don’t have his energy and drive. 

On 08/05/2023 at 23:12, Caerphilly Ram said:

Bang on mate

Forsyth given a one year deal gives some of that continuity we need within the side (or squad at least). The DET article announcing his new deal says the club are hoping to sign McGoldrick to a new deal too, no mention of other names. Pleased to see those conversations about the squad are underway already. 

A few assumptions:
1. Bielik is sold
2. Rooney and Tommo loaned out
3. No other players are sold
4. Loach and McGoldrick sign the deals offered

GK: Wildsmith, New, Loach
RCB: New, Forsyth
CB: New, New
LCB: Cashin
RWB: Knight, New
LWB: New, New
RCM: Bird, Smith
LCM: Hourihane, Sibley
RW: New, Mendez-Laing
LW: New, Barkhuizen
CF: McGoldrick, New, Collins

That's 5 starters and 4 squad players only really at the expense of Davies, Roberts (likely to be one of the signings) and Dobbin. 

Outgoings by minutes played (all comp.):
1. Roberts - 3184
2. Dobbin - 2548
3. Davies - 1395
4. Stearman - 939
5. Osula - 710
6. Chester - 562
7. White - 537
8. Springett - 218
9. Cybulski - 97
10. Aghatise - 14

Plus those I expect to be leaned out:
Rooney - 1150
Tommo - 842

in my opinion, 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 is doable. Think free roam of the front 3 would be key tho. Whomever plays up top with mcgoldrick/collins  needs pace tho

wildsmith

new cb              forysth            cashin

New rwb                   Knight /smith           Bird/hourihane      Roberts / new lwb

Mendez laing   Mcgoldrick  New winger/barkuizan 

or 

wildsmith

new cb              forysth            cashin

New rwb                   Knight /smith           Bird/hourihane      Roberts / new lwb

Mendez laing

Mcgoldrich                         Collins