Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t make me laugh. The restrictions which allowed us to sign the likes of McGoldrick and Hourihane? Most clubs in the league would kill to have our squad. It’s capable of so much more than this.

Those two you mentioned signed because they didn’t have to move house and we’re always going to be selected each week which they simply weren’t being selected for the last two seasons, They want to play and play in front of a decent crowd so for them they wouldn’t have been signing for any others in this league I would suggest 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I can accept non possession based football but I can’t accept pointless hoofball with no clear patterns of play. All I want from any manager or coach is a team that is greater than the sum of the parts. 

But that conveniently ignores the times when there is a pattern of play in what the team does. This team spent a chunk of the season being greater than the sum of its parts, it’s currently in a bad patch of form with players lacking confidence. It’s also a squad lacking in bodies in certain areas.
Your expectation is a great one, under normal circumstances, this season is not a normal one for the club and so tempering expectations can go a long way to managing frustrations. That’s what works for me anyway. I’d love us to be sweeping teams aside with flowing, passing football….and I’d love us to be blowing teams away with direct pace and power, neither of which is realistic with the imbalance of our squad. 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

Those two you mentioned signed because they didn’t have to move house and we’re always going to be selected each week which they simply weren’t being selected for the last two seasons, They want to play and play in front of a decent crowd so for them they wouldn’t have been signing for any others in this league I would suggest 

The 12k a week helped as well… let’s not pretend we’ve been hamstrung. We really haven’t.

Just now, Caerphilly Ram said:

Blatant pen surely there? Or at least a freekick on the edge of the box? McGoldrick wrestled to the ground by a falling defender as he was moving towards the ball and goal?

I saw the same thing, funny how the players didnt really react

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

But that conveniently ignores the times when there is a pattern of play in what the team does. This team spent a chunk of the season being greater than the sum of its parts, it’s currently in a bad patch of form with players lacking confidence. It’s also a squad lacking in bodies in certain areas.
Your expectation is a great one, under normal circumstances, this season is not a normal one for the club and so tempering expectations can go a long way to managing frustrations. That’s what works for me anyway. I’d love us to be sweeping teams aside with flowing, passing football….and I’d love us to be blowing teams away with direct pace and power, neither of which is realistic with the imbalance of our squad. 

We’ve got some very technically gifted players in this division. We’ve got very little power and even less pace. 

Which of the two styles should be leant towards until squad is shaped appropriately. 

I’ve not ignored patterns of play. There aren’t any. The general tactic was ‘don’t concede. Give it to McG or NML and hope they beat 2/3 players or do something special’.

2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I’ve not ignored patterns of play. There aren’t any. The general tactic was ‘don’t concede. Give it to McG or NML and hope they beat 2/3 players or do something special’.

That is total rubbish