Kinkladze

Poynton ram

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Nah.  For the ability he had we saw little bar 5 or 6 games.  A midfield of Burley, Lee and Kinkladze with Ravanelli, Christie and Carbone up top as options shouldn't be getting relegated.

What game were you watching at the time.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Nah.  For the ability he had we saw little bar 5 or 6 games.  A midfield of Burley, Lee and Kinkladze with Ravanelli, Christie and Carbone up top as options shouldn't be getting relegated.

A midfield of Burley, Lee and "other" until Kinkladze was sent on to try and recue a point with 15 minutes to go. We've pulled that stunt on numerous talented players who allegedly never showed their true worth,  but in reality were hardly ever given the chance.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Oh come on. He spent a large proportion of his time on the bench or out on the wing. Spot a recurring theme, with the only thing missing being played at left back.

He also got neck ache when he was in midfield from looking up watching the ball wizzing past 3 miles in the air.

His best position was in “the hole” behind the strikers, but was only played there once - against John Gregory’s Aston Villa. He ran the match and we destroyed them. I can’t actually remember the next match, but it is highly likely that he was back on the bench for that one. 🙄

He wasn’t a poor signing, he was a wasted one.

I think you’re letting his reputation cloud your views. In a Rams shirt he was average. He was always injured and never got a proper run of games. Looking at him now, he wasn’t disciplined enough to look after himself.  A luxury as we knew he was. He didn’t really produce the goods. We went down and the cycle continued, despite him winning POTY in the champ, we were terrible that year and were near the bottom.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

A midfield of Burley, Lee and "other" until Kinkladze was sent on to try and recue a point with 15 minutes to go. We've pulled that stunt on numerous talented players who allegedly never showed their true worth,  but in reality were hardly ever given the chance.

He played 90 games. He was given a chance. He was substitute a lot because he was never fit. When he did play, he didn’t produce the Man City magic much at all.

22 hours ago, Ambitious said:

My first away game, lost 3-0 with Harewood getting a couple and the other escapes me(?) I know David Johnson played and he was their main man at the time, but don't think he actually scored. I ended in getting crushed after Forest fans charged the away end - fond, fond memories! 

I can't even remember who played for us that day, assuming Warren Barton, Rob Lee, maybe a young Adam Bolder.. certainly not enough talent to keep Kinkladze (even if he was a luxury) from starting! 

one of the only things i remember about that game is everyone singing 'goodbye john gregory' once the third went in

12 hours ago, sage said:

Told this before on heree.

He used to live in South Normanton and had a swimming pool. 

I can neither confirm nor deny that I was one of several youths who when we were away in August or May used to climb over his fence and have a swim.

Is there a house in South Normanton with a swimming pool? Photo or it never happened.

Most naturally talented player I've seen play for Derby. His dribbling and close control was ridiculous. Fairly well documented that he's faced personal demons during and after his career that have held him back.

When he won the Jackie Stamps trophy in 02/03 he only made 28 league appearances. The fewest ever made by a winner. We didn't see enough if him and when we did see him it wasn't always great but he's one of those magical players that can be worth the admission fee with a piece of magic like the free kick he hit against Rotherham in 02/03 like a penalty, passed it into the top corner. 

Only player I've seen where the hairs on the back of my neck have stood up upon him recieving the ball. 

9 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Is there a house in South Normanton with a swimming pool? Photo or it never happened.

It's on Broadmeadows about a quarter of the way from the cricket ground to the A38. Google earth it 

Having grown up there, I can confirm it was unique 

Unbelievable player at City in the 90s, he's worshipped there.

Like Ravanellli, arrived here past his best and happy to sit on 30k a week (his wageslip leaked years back), picking up injuries left and right.

Pretty sure he threw his toys out the pram on numerous occasions too if I remember.

On 30/03/2023 at 20:57, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's the one.  Unfortunately, we had a Foletti in goal for Unsworths freekicks the week after, when we lost 4-3 to a poor Everton side who should have gone instead. 

Drove up from Bristol for that Everton game.  Was my young son's first time watching the Rams. Still remember the buzz of being in a crowd where everyone was wearing Derby shirts and didn't think I had a strange Northern accent!

Strupar's wonder goal masks a pretty woeful performance from us.  Losing a 6-pointer at home was a bitter pill.  Did Foletti ever play again?

8 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

Drove up from Bristol for that Everton game.  Was my young son's first time watching the Rams. Still remember the buzz of being in a crowd where everyone was wearing Derby shirts and didn't think I had a strange Northern accent!

Strupar's wonder goal masks a pretty woeful performance from us.  Losing a 6-pointer at home was a bitter pill.  Did Foletti ever play again?

No that was it apart from one sub appearance previously.

36 minutes ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

No, think it was just the one. That was enough

16 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Remember him coming on for the last 10 mins of the Sheffield Wednesday 3-3 game. First touch was a cross on the head of Strupar who scored, that’s the difference he could make.

On 01/04/2023 at 07:28, CrapSince99 said:

Most naturally talented player I've seen play for Derby. His dribbling and close control was ridiculous. Fairly well documented that he's faced personal demons during and after his career that have held him back.

When he won the Jackie Stamps trophy in 02/03 he only made 28 league appearances. The fewest ever made by a winner. We didn't see enough if him and when we did see him it wasn't always great but he's one of those magical players that can be worth the admission fee with a piece of magic like the free kick he hit against Rotherham in 02/03 like a penalty, passed it into the top corner. 

Only player I've seen where the hairs on the back of my neck have stood up upon him recieving the ball. 

Remember Taribo Wests ball control.  Why clear it from the box when I drag it back and beat you 3 times first.  Bloke used to make me s*** my pants 10 times a match with that carry on.