Kinkladze

Poynton ram

Just now, enachops said:

Great for Man City. Very average for us barring a couple of flashes vs Wimbledon and Leeds. Poor signing.

Remember him being very good when we beat Leicester.  A win that should have seen us escape that season.  Remember him being not so good stuffing his face at a Donut stall in the Eagle Centre like clockwork on a Friday.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Remember him being very good when we beat Leicester.  A win that should have seen us escape that season.  Remember him being not so good stuffing his face at a Donut stall in the Eagle Centre like clockwork on a Friday.

Was that Leicester away? I thought we’d do it after that game. Gregory nearly pulled off the great escape. Overall Kinkladze was injured and only showed flashes. A luxury in a declining team. 

3 minutes ago, enachops said:

Was that Leicester away? I thought we’d do it after that game. Gregory nearly pulled off the great escape. Overall Kinkladze was injured and only showed flashes. A luxury in a declining team. 

That's the one.  Unfortunately, we had a Foletti in goal for Unsworths freekicks the week after, when we lost 4-3 to a poor Everton side who should have gone instead. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

As a young lad who wasn't particularly cultured on the nuances of the game, I absolutely adored Kinkladze. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was the last player I had on a Derby shirt too - in the 2002/03 season. 

I never understood why Gregory wouldn’t play him.  Especially when we were stood in the away end at Forest getting thrashed.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

I never understood why Gregory wouldn’t play him.  Especially when we were stood in the away end at Forest getting thrashed.

My first away game, lost 3-0 with Harewood getting a couple and the other escapes me(?) I know David Johnson played and he was their main man at the time, but don't think he actually scored. I ended in getting crushed after Forest fans charged the away end - fond, fond memories! 

I can't even remember who played for us that day, assuming Warren Barton, Rob Lee, maybe a young Adam Bolder.. certainly not enough talent to keep Kinkladze (even if he was a luxury) from starting! 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's the one.  Unfortunately, we had a Foletti in goal for Unsworths freekicks the week after, when we lost 4-3 to a poor Everton side who should have gone instead. 

Strupar's goals in that Everton game were something special.

Gregory, as a manager, would never be able to get the best from Kinkladze

15 hours ago, enachops said:

Great for Man City. Very average for us barring a couple of flashes vs Wimbledon and Leeds. Poor signing.

Oh come on. He spent a large proportion of his time on the bench or out on the wing. Spot a recurring theme, with the only thing missing being played at left back.

He also got neck ache when he was in midfield from looking up watching the ball wizzing past 3 miles in the air.

His best position was in “the hole” behind the strikers, but was only played there once - against John Gregory’s Aston Villa. He ran the match and we destroyed them. I can’t actually remember the next match, but it is highly likely that he was back on the bench for that one. 🙄

He wasn’t a poor signing, he was a wasted one.