Kinkladze

Poynton ram

Kinkladze is one of those players who it's tough to judge without knowing the specifics of his contract. He was mercurial on his day, but that day only came around occasionally and we weren't in a position to be carrying an injury prone player on big wages. He was always one of my favourite players to watch and I'm privileged to have seen him in a Derby shirt, but it's not unreasonable to wonder if we'd have been a better team if we'd spent his considerable wages on a couple of less remarkable, but more reliable footballers.

Looking back to that team, I was so excited when Lee and Barton signed. They were utter rubbish. At least Kinkladze performed once every five, those two performed once between them the entire time they were here.

5 hours ago, Anon said:

Kinkladze is one of those players who it's tough to judge without knowing the specifics of his contract. He was mercurial on his day, but that day only came around occasionally and we weren't in a position to be carrying an injury prone player on big wages. He was always one of my favourite players to watch and I'm privileged to have seen him in a Derby shirt, but it's not unreasonable to wonder if we'd have been a better team if we'd spent his considerable wages on a couple of less remarkable, but more reliable footballers.

Looking back to that team, I was so excited when Lee and Barton signed. They were utter rubbish. At least Kinkladze performed once every five, those two performed once between them the entire time they were here.

Yes, because for the other four matches he was sat on the bench until 10 minutes to go and 2 - 0 down. 

At the time I thought we were wasting his talent, I still do but recognise that Kinkladze probably wasn't bringing his best self to the equation. Still... expecting Todd and Gregory to get the best out of one of the most gifted players of his generation was probably unrealistic on my part.

It was a pleasure to watch him play regardless.