4-2-3-1

Curtains

1 hour ago, sage said:

It wasn't aimed at you and tbf I should have mentioned that in my post 

My point stands though. He got loads of stick on here. Then when we lose without him, he turns into Roy Keane

Fair enough, I've deliberately avoided the forum this week given the OTT reaction we get after every defeat, so if people have been doing that then I've not seen it.

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Fair enough, I've deliberately avoided the forum this week given the OTT reaction we get after every defeat, so if people have been doing that then I've not seen it.

OTT reaction.  We can’t score in 4 away games and we lose to Lincoln who haven’t won all season. We have 2 points from 12 available from the likes of Fleetwood. Shrewsbury and Lincoln

33 minutes ago, Curtains said:

OTT reaction.  We can’t score in 4 away games and we lose to Lincoln who haven’t won all season. We have 2 points from 12 available from the likes of Fleetwood. Shrewsbury and Lincoln

??????
Its the same issue we’ve had since Rooney and Liam took over here. The crowd at home are 100% an extra man on the field of play. When we’ve travelled we have been awful and lacking direction for the entire period results and goals scored support this.

On 15/09/2022 at 11:40, Sparkle said:

We have the players to play 442 and play it well - sure we are a bit weak at right back but hey oh 

Wildsmith 

Onurah       Davies.           Cashin     Forsyth 

NML            Knight.           Smith.      Barkhauzen     
                        Collins  McGoldrick 

players like Sibley and Dobbin can drop in for MG whilst Bird and Hourihane can step in when the time is right whilst Rooney looks good enough to step in anywhere from right back central defence or central midfield. 
that’s a very experienced and no longer slow side. 

I don't like 442.

It's a demanding formation that requires discipline and hard work all over the pitch. 

First, wide midfielders must be able to mount quick counterattacks and carry the ball quickly, but they also must track back and protect their full-backs.

The defensive central midfielder needs discipline and skill because he's often outnumbered in key areas. 

Box-to-box midfielders need a lot of energy and stamina, and forwards must be able to press hard, hold the ball, and bring midfielders into play. 

There are no passengers in 4-4-2.

4-4-2 can make it difficult for teams to maintain game control, especially when it comes to dominating possession. 

They must often surrender the ball to the opposition for long stretches of the game, waiting for the right moment to pounce. 

So much defensiveness can frustrate and stifle creative midfielders who would rather dominate the ball higher up.

The biggest weakness of this formation is that it can be overrun in midfield. 

When 2 central midfielders face a 3-man midfield, it can be hard to win the central battle and stop easy passing. 

If you want to dominate in midfield, this system isn't going to work.

On 15/09/2022 at 09:50, sage said:

If you play 433 where do Sibley and McGoldrick play?

Wildsmith

Oduroh    Davies     Cashin/Chester      Forsyth/Roberts

Bird/Smith/Rooney/Hourihane

Knight    Sibley

Mendez-Laing/Dobbin     McGoldrick/Collins/Osula     Barkhuizen

4-3-3 is the perfect formation to get the best out of Sibley and I think works well for McGoldrick.

Wildsmith

Oduroh    Davies     Cashin.  Forsyth      
                         Roberts

Bird.  Knight

Mendez-Laing McGoldrick Barkhuizen

5-2-3 innit?

Free up Bird and Knight. Provide extra protection for Cash and Curtis.

Some freedom for the full backs to roam 

On 15/09/2022 at 11:40, Sparkle said:

We have the players to play 442 and play it well - sure we are a bit weak at right back but hey oh 

Wildsmith 

Onurah       Davies.           Cashin     Forsyth 

NML            Knight.           Smith.      Barkhauzen     
                        Collins  McGoldrick 

players like Sibley and Dobbin can drop in for MG whilst Bird and Hourihane can step in when the time is right whilst Rooney looks good enough to step in anywhere from right back central defence or central midfield. 
that’s a very experienced and no longer slow side. 

Don’t know why but I read that as Oh Norah! ?

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Wildsmith

Oduroh    Davies     Cashin/Chester      Forsyth/Roberts

Bird/Smith/Rooney/Hourihane

Knight    Sibley

Mendez-Laing/Dobbin     McGoldrick/Collins/Osula     Barkhuizen

4-3-3 is the perfect formation to get the best out of Sibley and I think works well for McGoldrick.

Would probably help Collins too if he was finally used as a target man and starts seeing more of the ball,rather than doing the headless chicken act chasing g it around the pitch.

12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Would probably help Collins too if he was finally used as a target man and starts seeing more of the ball,rather than doing the headless chicken act chasing g it around the pitch.

Why use someone's head just because he's scored goals with it for 12 years.  He needs more than 'one string to his bow' and needs to learn the new way with 3 years of his career left.  That means running around aimlessly dropping deeper and deeper into midfield like Marriott used to, whilst we time waste ourselves for 30 minutes a game at the back.  PFFTTTT get with the XG.

1-2-3-4! The attacking revolution!

Curtis

Bird ---------Rooney

Knight-------Sibley--------Connor

NML------Collins-----------Dobbin--------Berkz

Knight into midfield - check

2 strikers? - check

Hoolie further forwar? - check

Sibley in the team? - check

I cannot see how this team could fail.

56 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Why use someone's head just because he's scored goals with it for 12 years.  He needs more than 'one string to his bow' and needs to learn the new way with 3 years of his career left.  That means running around aimlessly dropping deeper and deeper into midfield like Marriott used to, whilst we time waste ourselves for 30 minutes a game at the back.  PFFTTTT get with the XG.

Really? Got to say there's been no hint of him being any good with his head so far.

6 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That requires good free kicks, corners and the occasional longer out ball  Were deficient in all 3, including numbers of, as you get them with quick play and using a midfield to go forward on occasion.

Not looked any good challenging for 'punts down the middle' and nowhere at corners etc. We have had some you know.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not looked any good challenging for 'punts down the middle' and nowhere at corners etc. We have had some you know.

We don't do punts down the middle do we, Wildsmith kicks them out wide or straight through 10 yards too long.   Got his head to loads against Oxford playing central.  After an hour we dropped him deeper.  He's been there since.   We do get corners but since Given left they seem to be s***.

22 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We don't do punts down the middle do we, Wildsmith kicks them out wide or straight through 10 yards too long.   Got his head to loads against Oxford playing central.  After an hour we dropped him deeper.  He's been there since.   We do get corners but since Given left they seem to be s***.

We done this since Liam became involved in the team...everything out to the left and right nothing through the middle....which becomes extremely predictable.

I used to blame Rooney for it,but it would appear to be roseniors modus operandi.