4-2-3-1

Curtains

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Have we the players to play this system .

Whats wrong with 4-3-3 or the old 4-4-2 at times 

4-4-2 with the players we have seems to make most sense. Mcgoldrick and Collins up top. 

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Agree with this, which is basically what 4-2-3-1 is.

My main issue is the midfield balance, I don't think a central 2 of Bird & Hourihane is working, we need Korey Smith back to replace one of them.

It was a shame he got injured and you make a very good point .

10 minutes ago, Carnero said:

My main issue is the midfield balance, I don't think a central 2 of Bird & Hourihane is working, we need Korey Smith back to replace one of them.

He's played 3 games for us and was slated for the first two. Now he's our saviour.

Like it or not Football teams play a style and in systems .

Players have to fit into systems .

For instance Forsyth wouldn’t play CF or Collins CB .

Liam has to get the whole team playing in a fluid dynamic system to win games .

We have seen flashes of very good football so the players we have can do it .

Being  consistent is also important week in week out as are training methods.

Im not a fan of playing out from the back all the time but it has its merits .

Looking forward to Wycombe Saturday and hoping we win 

24 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Agreed 

1 hour ago, sage said:

He's played 3 games for us and was slated for the first two. Now he's our saviour.

What an odd response.

He wasn't slated by me, I've seen enough of him over the years to know what type of player he is, and I've not said he's our saviour, but he would offer something different to the current 2 especially when we're out of possession.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Have we the players to play this system .

Whats wrong with 4-3-3 or the old 4-4-2 at times 

We have the players to play 442 and play it well - sure we are a bit weak at right back but hey oh 

Wildsmith 

Onurah       Davies.           Cashin     Forsyth 

NML            Knight.           Smith.      Barkhauzen     
                        Collins  McGoldrick 

players like Sibley and Dobbin can drop in for MG whilst Bird and Hourihane can step in when the time is right whilst Rooney looks good enough to step in anywhere from right back central defence or central midfield. 
that’s a very experienced and no longer slow side. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

He's played 3 games for us and was slated for the first two.

He's started 3 games, played 5. 

His first 2 he was "slated" because he was playing the 10 when he's much more effective playing a little bit deeper. Solid game against West Brom when he played as a DM in a 2 and did very well when he came on vs Peterborough as the main progressor. 

30 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We have the players to play 442 and play it well - sure we are a bit weak at right back but hey oh 

Wildsmith 

Onurah       Davies.           Cashin     Forsyth 

NML            Knight.           Smith.      Barkhauzen     
                        Collins  McGoldrick 

players like Sibley and Dobbin can drop in for MG whilst Bird and Hourihane can step in when the time is right whilst Rooney looks good enough to step in anywhere from right back central defence or central midfield. 
that’s a very experienced and no longer slow side. 

Very good post .

Really didn’t t see that but could work for sure .

No harm in rotation of players or even changing the system 

Bird and hourihane as a two has not worked the last 3 games. We have not controlled the midfield and they are often overrun and can’t seem to get a hold of the game - but the bigger issue is that we also struggle to get the ball to them.

We end up just passing round the back for ages and then lumping it to the wingers in the hope they will work a bit of magic. Tuesday night nearly everytime the ball was lumped to the wingers it went out of play or they were tackled. Atm it’s so easy to set up against us, press the cbs and get tight on the wingers ready for the long ball and we are essentially nullified. We need to become less predictable. 

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

What an odd response.

He wasn't slated by me, I've seen enough of him over the years to know what type of player he is, and I've not said he's our saviour, but he would offer something different to the current 2 especially when we're out of possession.

It wasn't aimed at you and tbf I should have mentioned that in my post 

My point stands though. He got loads of stick on here. Then when we lose without him, he turns into Roy Keane

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

He's started 3 games, played 5. 

His first 2 he was "slated" because he was playing the 10 when he's much more effective playing a little bit deeper. Solid game against West Brom when he played as a DM in a 2 and did very well when he came on vs Peterborough as the main progressor. 

He wasn't a 10. He played as part of a midfield three and pressed a lot. 

Took my mum to the last home game against Plymouth (63 years of age and clueless about football, this was her take on things)

Mum “what does that short lad keep doing (cashin) with the goalkeeper?”

Me “oh, so rather than take a goal kick and attempt to get the ball up the field, we play a little game where the players at the back kick it to each other to see how long it takes for the opposition to get the ball.”

Mum “Derby are very slow aren’t they, especially that bloke up front. Why isn’t anyone running at people and going forwards, the goal is that way (points)?”

Me “oh, that’s Colins. That’s what your supposed to do Mum, but we just panic and kick it back to the goalkeeper again.”

Dad chips in “you can’t play in this league with two in midfield, you need to win second balls, it’s never going to work, you need people to hold the ball and put a tackle in like Johnson used to do.”

3rd Plymouth Goal goes in … 

Dad “No no no Derby”