Royal Mail gauge of opinion

Steve How Hard?

Tomorrow was due to be, as today,  a day of industrial action. The CWU( Communication Workers Union) has decided as a mark of respect to call off the strike.

A commendable action in the circumstances. However should Royal Mail have suspended deliveries as a mark of respect too? Dicuss. 

Edited by Steve How Hard?

13 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Tomorrow was due to be, as today,  a day of industrial action. The CWU( Communication Workers Union) has decided as a mark of respect to call off the strike.

A commendable action in the circumstances. However should Royal Mail have suspended deliveries as a mark of respect too? Dicuss. 

They might as well been on strike then?

I work at Royal mail and whilst I am not in the union, I support the strike action.

In my opinion too much of the publicity around this strike has focused on pay when the majority of people I work with feel that it is the conditions that we are asked to work under, that are the real issue. If I didn't have a family to think of I would have left my job ages ago and gone on the dole as it is far and away the worst company that I have ever worked for, however at my time of life, and with my lack of qualifications there is little or no prospect of finding alternative employment.

In view of what I have explained it would a cold day in he'll before Royal Mail made a gesture of that nature in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

As a Royal Mail employee you don't get paid for a strike day. The Royal Mail hierarchy are quite obviously putting profit and lining shareholders pockets over being respectful to the passing of our Queen.

Out of interest, do you think every other private limited company in the country should also close today as a mark of respect? The Royal Mail are no different.

I know they have “Royal” in their title but it doesn’t actually mean anything anymore.

11 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I work at Royal mail and whilst I am not in the union, I support the strike action.

In my opinion too much of the publicity around this strike has focused on pay when the majority of people I work with feel that it is the conditions that we are asked to work under, that are the real issue. If I didn't have a family to think of I would have left my job ages ago and gone on the dole as it is far and away the worst company that I have ever worked for, however at my time of life, and with my lack of qualifications there is little or no prospect of finding alternative employment.

In view of what I have explained it would a cold day in he'll before Royal Mail made a gesture of that nature in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about your situation, sounds rubbish.

The media has successfully demonised working people who dare to organise and stand up for themselves, as greedy and/or far left agitators. Doesn't really work when those striking are nurses/barristers/etc, but they just brush that under the carpet.

18 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

It’s always good to hear the real inside story rather than just what we are fed by the media. What are the sort of conditions that are the real issues? 

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Out of interest, do you think every other private limited company in the country should also close today as a mark of respect? The Royal Mail are no different.

I know they have “Royal” in their title but it doesn’t actually mean anything anymore.

It should be each companies personal choice what they do at this time. The thread was created to gauge the opinion on Royal Mails stance. 

As you sort of say, privatisation has watered down the link between the family and the company but it's still there for all to see. After such a longstanding association my viewpoint is that RM should have shown more respect to the situation. 

Admittedly my opinion is influenced by the fact that like @Loughborough Ram I'm a RM employee and we are currently entrenched in a dispute on pay and conditions but I'm open to my opinion being changed by reasoned argument.

12 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

It should be each companies personal choice what they do at this time. The thread was created to gauge the opinion on Royal Mails stance. 

As you sort of say, privatisation has watered down the link between the family and the company but it's still there for all to see. After such a longstanding association my viewpoint is that RM should have shown more respect to the situation. 

Admittedly my opinion is influenced by the fact that like @Loughborough Ram I'm a RM employee and we are currently entrenched in a dispute on pay and conditions but I'm open to my opinion being changed by reasoned argument.

My point is though that the RM are just another Public Limited Company now owned by it’s shareholders just like all the other FTSE companies. I’m happy to defer to your greater knowledge but aren’t the links to the Royal family purely historic and not really of any relevance now. As I understand it, not even the government has retained a stake let alone the royal family.

I have no knowledge of the dispute regarding working conditions which is why I asked Loughborough out of genuine interest but, I can’t help but feel your strong feelings may be overly influenced by your personal involvement. 

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Who sends things by the post? Email texting WhatsApp online billing. The only use is for stuff bought online. You’d think the employees would be looking at ways to guarantee their future rather than striking.

I receive lots of beer by post.

The brewery packs it, BPost pick it up and sort out the international shipping from Belgium to the UK, then ParcelForce handle the domestic shipping and delivery.

Last time, I received the beer just 72 hours after ordering.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The brewery packs it, BPost pick it up and sort out the international shipping from Belgium to the UK, then ParcelForce handle the domestic shipping and delivery.

Yes, but you get special treatment as you’re on a one man crusade to save the Belgian brewing industry.

Edit: one man +1 obvs ?

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

You can use other couriers though. I did say their main use is for stuff bought online. 
Not saying Hermes etc is better or worse but I don’t get many letters nowadays. The odd birthday card.

11 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Quite right my opinion is influenced by my personal involvement which is the whole point of the thread to gauge opinions of others not so closely involved. 

Apologies, this was in response to your previous post @Tamworthram. I appear not to have quoted you. 

Fair enough but I can’t help feeling you opinion is too highly influenced by your no doubt rational bitterness to your employer right now rather than whether it would actually be the right thing for a PLC to do simply because centuries ago it had links to the monarchy which is what I thought the question was really about.

Bitterness is probably the wrong word to use. Maybe I should choose my words more carefully if that's the way it's coming across. I certainly have a feeling of contempt for the way the current management are trying to run the company. I actually enjoy my job and  I am quite proud to work for the company to say it was a job I stumbled into many years ago as a stop gap. 

We seem to be  going around in circles somewhat here and looking at it from different angles. I certainly don't think the link has been broken between the company and the family. It is still there to see. The markings on the company vehicles, the Queens head on the stamps etc. 

Surely if either wanted a parting of ways then at the point of privatisation would have been the ideal opportunity for a clean break. Something may happen in that regard in the future, who knows, but for now I'll continue to tell anyone that asks what I do for a living, "Oh I work for the King."

Apologies again @Tamworthram I've forgotten to quote you again. ?‍♂️

Edited by Steve How Hard?