Do we need to work on set peaces

B4ev6is

The way we play - all possession and seemingly not much penetration. With other teams sitting back and waiting for us to tire and therefore to counter attack … all that means that we get few chances and have to take them when we can … and we get a lot of corners. We HAVE to be better at corners. Statistically, I believe teams score 1 in 25 corners. I’d be surprised if our record is any better than that … but it needs to be. It really does. So I totally agree B4, practice, practice, practice corners. And at the point you think you’ve practiced too much, practice more!!! We need goals from corners and goals from free kicks. 

I think we should try and block the keeper and put the ball in the 6 yard box from corners.  You have to accept that the keeper will probably catch the majority of them but when they don't they can go anywhere.  Opener against Barnsley being a prime example.

The best spell weve had with corners recently was when Byrne was taking them and almost curling them directly in.  Teams struggled to deal with them but we stopped doing them after a few games.

Pet hate is those over-hit corners that travel way past the back post.  Total waste of time in my opinion.

Edited by Blondest Goat

51 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Pet hate is those over-hit corners that travel way past the back post.  Total waste of time in my opinion.

why do the guys taking corners stick two arms up in the air before hitting the long ones, as if it's some sort of secret squirrel code ? I mean how long would it take for 11 fit and alert young men to learn 'front post' and 'back post' in say Cantonese ? 

Edited by kevinhectoring

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

why do the guys taking corners stick two arms up in the air before hitting the long ones, as if it's some sort of secret squirrel code ? I mean how long would it take for 11 fit and alert young men to learn 'front post' and 'back post' in Cantonese ? 

Maybe two arms is front post and one arm back post, but we’re just not very good at the execution 

17 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

Maybe two arms is front post and one arm back post, but we’re just not very good at the execution 

But seriously we need a load of different options. So in recent seasons I’ve not seen us try that one Spurs (Kane) scored with on Saturday. When Given was with us our set pieces were excellent. We are just SO STATIC 

I’ve been watching Derby most of this century - and we’ve virtually always been s*** at set pieces. Barring the odd exception anyway - like when Harry Wilson was here, and Idiakez (though I was very young back then). So this really isn’t a “this season problem” - it’s pretty much in the DNA of Derby County. Our goals conceded to goals scored from set pieces ratio must be around 10:1, it’s that ludicrous - particularly when you include goals conceded on the counter from our own set pieces, which we’re especially guilty of.

We’ve got Conor Hourihane who’s a superb set piece taker, and it’s still as bad as ever. It’s like we’re cursed, and break every player who puts a ball down next to the Pride Park corner flag. I don’t know whether it’s coaching or what, but somethings up. It’s so frustrating when you have 12,13,14 corners a game and barely even muster a shot from one. Way too easy for the opposition to just give away corners and free kicks, because they know we’re no threat from them. 

Personally I think the players in the box need to do more with deliveries put in as well. No one ever really seems to have that desire to be the one who wins the ball and puts it in the back of the net. Don’t know whether it’s a confidence thing or what, but we just seem to lack belief that we can score from a ball into the box. We almost just stand there and wait for the opposition to clear it. I want to see players making that ball theirs - it’s only when we battle stronger than the opposition that we’ll score goals. All about desire and belief.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Personally I think the players in the box need to do more with deliveries put in as well. No one ever really seems to have that desire to be the one who wins the ball and puts it in the back of the net. Don’t know whether it’s a confidence thing or what, but we just seem to lack belief that we can score from a ball into the box. We almost just stand there and wait for the opposition to clear it. I want to see players making that ball theirs - it’s only when we battle stronger than the opposition that we’ll score goals. All about desire and belief.

This. The only players in the team who are desperate to score, who would run through a brick wall to get a goal, are Collins, Sibley and Cashin. And maybe Mendez-Laing. Collins is starved of service, Sibley is overlooked as a starter and Cashin's a centre half. Everyone else is static and doesn't expect to ever score. 

Our only players who regularly shoot are Collins (16), Sibley (12) and Mendez-Laing (11). Hourihane's probably next with 8.

50 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’ve been watching Derby most of this century - and we’ve virtually always been s*** at set pieces. Barring the odd exception anyway - like when Harry Wilson was here, and Idiakez (though I was very young back then). So this really isn’t a “this season problem” - it’s pretty much in the DNA of Derby County.

Same and ive watched us 30 odd years. Its in our DNA no matter what division or year it is... that we have on average shorter players than the other teams. Dont ask me why. only one or 2 managers (usually not been here long) have tried to address this.

B4 - we've not had a single set piece in any league game that allows a shot on target. Bit harsh to have a go on this one.

As for corners, since the Charlton match, 200% better. If you actually watch, we've gone short, long,under the brand provider a lot of variety. Oh and scored one of our goals from one.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

This. The only players in the team who are desperate to score, who would run through a brick wall to get a goal, are Collins, Sibley and Cashin. And maybe Mendez-Laing. Collins is starved of service, Sibley is overlooked as a starter and Cashin's a centre half. Everyone else is static and doesn't expect to ever score. 

Our only players who regularly shoot are Collins (16), Sibley (12) and Mendez-Laing (11). Hourihane's probably next with 8.

The daft thing is, at times we’re cutting the opposition open at will. The finishing touch is just never there. Nobody seems to be taking responsibility, and believing “I’m going to score today”. When we shoot, it seems to be more in hope than anything else, rather than truly striking the ball knowing it’s going to hit the back of the net. It’s clearly a confidence thing, and it needs resolving fast, because the lack of goals so far is a concern. The belief and desire to score needs to be instilled right from the top - with the coaching team.

38 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Same and ive watched us 30 odd years. Its in our DNA no matter what division or year it is... that we have on average shorter players than the other teams. Dont ask me why. only one or 2 managers (usually not been here long) have tried to address this.

You’re right in that I can’t really remember a player the size of an Aden Flint or Peter Crouch ever playing for us, that would give us that advantage on set plays. But we’ve had enough players who are aerially dominant who should have been more of a threat. Think Matt Clarke, one of the best headers of a football I’ve seen in a Derby shirt, only scored one goal. It’s crazy really.

Need to send Bucko a video of Tony Adams from the 90's at corners, used to be beyond the back post so he could attack deep corners running towards goal instead of away as it goes over our heads, every corner I'm screaming for someone to be deep and run in towards goal, will always have the advantage as the defenders stay between the posts and so would be back tracking or static jumping.

The lack of free kicks in shooting positions I think is down to style of football, you need to run at the defence in the middle of the pitch but we look to pass around them constantly, (get Sibley and/or Dobbin central maybe)  plus, I think it is clear that this season refs are letting more go in all divisions, and always have in the lower ones anyway so less challenges given as fouls. 

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

You’re right in that I can’t really remember a player the size of an Aden Flint or Peter Crouch ever playing for us, that would give us that advantage on set plays. But we’ve had enough players who are aerially dominant who should have been more of a threat. Think Matt Clarke, one of the best headers of a football I’ve seen in a Derby shirt, only scored one goal. It’s crazy really.

It’s heading in general. Watch the teams we play against. They not only win headers, they direct them to team mates. We seem to put all our effort into heading it hard and it goes straight to the opposition.

That’s been the case for a while.

We should try getting bodies to the near post for a flick on. Can’t see any of the current team winning headers from a long ball.

9 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

I think we should try and block the keeper and put the ball in the 6 yard box from corners.  You have to accept that the keeper will probably catch the majority of them but when they don't they can go anywhere.  Opener against Barnsley being a prime example.

The best spell weve had with corners recently was when Byrne was taking them and almost curling them directly in.  Teams struggled to deal with them but we stopped doing them after a few games.

Totally agree. Sibley can do those incurling corners too, but on Saturday we just had the same delivery after delivery from Hourihane.

He missed Sibley standing on the edge of the box unmarked several times. Then finally pulled one back to Sibley after Fleetwood had put a man on him! 

I used to get frustrated that Lawrence pulled rank on everyone to dominate set pieces, without much end product. Seems we have just replicated that situation with Hourihane. 

Variety, please.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s heading in general. Watch the teams we play against. They not only win headers, they direct them to team mates. We seem to put all our effort into heading it hard and it goes straight to the opposition.

That’s been the case for a while.

We should try getting bodies to the near post for a flick on. Can’t see any of the current team winning headers from a long ball.

To be fair can't criticise the defenders. Getting distance on headers take the ball out of danger areas. 

Maybe we miss Curtis for his offensive threat at corners. We did score from a corner against Barnsley mind you it was an own goal.