Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, David said:

Fair play to them yesterday, managed to make Cricket more entertaining in 30 seconds than it has ever been since the first ball was bat.

Quite surreal watching JB march off the field with one of them tucked under his arm. 

image.thumb.png.54715c54a50f1774638473910f8911e5.png

The fact that so many people saw that image is probably suiting the protesters goal perfectly. It seemed a risky thing to do to carry a protester off like that, if they struggled it could have turned into an unpleasant situation quite rapidly. Thankfully they didn't and it all worked out. 

I still worry that this sort of thing is all counter-productive for their cause. Plenty of people are only too eager to label the whole climate change campaign a pointless hoax and idiotic.  I fear running around throwing orange powder at things isn't really changing too many minds for the better. 

There’s no doubt that we need to revisit how we heat our planet and how we get from A to B.

The protesters are highlighting an important issue but unfortunately causing disruption to events people have spent a lot of money to watch won’t help them.

The way forward is to educate people and to encourage them to protest too (in a positive way perhaps in front of parliament)

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

The fact that so many people saw that image is probably suiting the protesters goal perfectly. It seemed a risky thing to do to carry a protester off like that, if they struggled it could have turned into an unpleasant situation quite rapidly. Thankfully they didn't and it all worked out. 

I still worry that this sort of thing is all counter-productive for their cause. Plenty of people are only too eager to label the whole climate change campaign a pointless hoax and idiotic.  I fear running around throwing orange powder at things isn't really changing too many minds for the better. 

To be honest it’s even losing its irritability factor , it’s getting like train strikes where nobody much is interested and the more the names of these people and they’re position in life comes out the more people see them as 99% posh twxts on a break from uni and the purple hair elderberry wine set with bugger all else to fixate on , drama/ anxiety addicts 

theyre diversity and inclusivety policy needs looking at too

Edited by Archied

It was interesting at a family birthday last weekend, and this topic came up. Everyone of my generation (ie 40 and over) was of much the same opinion as a lot of people here - that these protests were counter-productive and annoying.

However, all the youngsters (ie the 25 and unders) were the total opposite. They all thought it was brilliant that people were making a stand, and brilliant that the older generations were so annoyed by it. I sat and listened to them and there was an overwhelming sense of helplessness. All they see is corrupt governments that aren't fit for purpose - not giving a damn about saving the planet, unless it's a net zero thing which can make them and their mates super rich regardless of what good it does to the climate change issue

They see the older generations as apathetic because we'll all be dead before it matters anyway, but for them and their kids it's a very real issue and they don't see ANYONE doing anything meaningful about it. What else can they do but encourage public protest? Write a letter? hahahahahaha

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

It is counter productive as these big corporations they say are the target of the protests, they are not the ones having to clean orange paint off the buildings, they are not the ones being blocked on their way to work, school etc. 

All it's achieving is pissing off the public who they need the support from for the cause.

As you say, some will say it's a hoax which you may as well just ignore, others will agree with the points they are making yet couldn't support them due to the manner in which they protest.

Wouldn't be surprised if those at the top of the organisation know it's a lost cause yet lining their pockets from the millionaires that are bankrolling them.

Those on the frontlines, fresh out of college/Uni going through their rebellious stage loving the attention it's bringing, not thinking about the criminal records and what that could mean in 10 years time when it's time to find a job.

28 minutes ago, David said:

Those on the frontlines, fresh out of college/Uni going through their rebellious stage loving the attention it's bringing, not thinking about the criminal records and what that could mean in 10 years time when it's time to find a job.

image.thumb.png.7c9013b35164edeaedd7b355c5e5239f.png

The Just Stop Oil hardcore protesters fall into these categories:

Rich young people who claim they're doing it for the greater good of the planet, whilst using their brand new Chinese built phone technology. The chap who trashed the snooker is the son of a multi millionaire. Probably never worked in his life or needs to worry about money again.

Rich old people who have got nothing better to do, getting a criminal record means nothing to them. Oh, and it turns out most of them drive gas guzzler 4x4 cars.

Students going through the angry phase of life and think they're invincible. Prison and a criminal record will wreck many chances in life.

Instead of trying to ruin the ordinary working person's life, why don't they all head to the US, India and China and tell them to stop polluting the planet, being the biggest offenders. They won't though, because they haven't got the nerve to do it.

2 minutes ago, SSD said:

Instead of trying to ruin the ordinary working person's life, why don't they all head to the US, India and China and tell them to stop polluting the planet, being the biggest offenders. They won't though, because they haven't got the nerve to do it.

Or, form a political party and start campaigning to get a voice in the House of Commons if they are serious about their aims.

35 minutes ago, David said:

It is counter productive as these big corporations they say are the target of the protests, they are not the ones having to clean orange paint off the buildings, they are not the ones being blocked on their way to work, school etc. 

All it's achieving is pissing off the public who they need the support from for the cause.

As you say, some will say it's a hoax which you may as well just ignore, others will agree with the points they are making yet couldn't support them due to the manner in which they protest.

Wouldn't be surprised if those at the top of the organisation know it's a lost cause yet lining their pockets from the millionaires that are bankrolling them.

Yeah I think you are probably right.  I do wonder what sort of protest may in fact be beneficial, i.e raise awareness but not alienate the general public too much.  Perhaps @Anag Ram's idea of protesting in front of parliament might be the way to go.

I did think the school children striking was something that might eventually get governments to take some notice.  And I'd imagine it's not to difficult to motivate school children to take a day off school for a good cause. They do have the most to lose regarding climate change after all.  

42 minutes ago, SSD said:

Students going through the angry phase of life and think they're invincible. Prison and a criminal record will wreck many chances in life.

I do find it funny that you're the second person to bring up the idea of these protesters getting a criminal record that will potentially lead to them having a bleak future 😂

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

It was interesting at a family birthday last weekend, and this topic came up. Everyone of my generation (ie 40 and over) was of much the same opinion as a lot of people here - that these protests were counter-productive and annoying.

However, all the youngsters (ie the 25 and unders) were the total opposite. They all thought it was brilliant that people were making a stand, and brilliant that the older generations were so annoyed by it. I sat and listened to them and there was an overwhelming sense of helplessness. All they see is corrupt governments that aren't fit for purpose - not giving a damn about saving the planet, unless it's a net zero thing which can make them and their mates super rich regardless of what good it does to the climate change issue

They see the older generations as apathetic because we'll all be dead before it matters anyway, but for them and their kids it's a very real issue and they don't see ANYONE doing anything meaningful about it. What else can they do but encourage public protest? Write a letter? hahahahahaha

It’s quite sad in my view but probably predictable and as it ever was , the young don’t realise yet that governments and corporations con the arse out of everyone , grizzled old buggers like me have seen this kind of dance danced time and time again and the young will look at it in twenty years time and wonder how they’re good intentions were so easily manipulated when it turns out that oops most of the stuff governments and corporations were forcing / pushing are actually not much better or sustainable than what we had but hey no probs plenty got rich from it 🤷🏻‍♂️, even now they are trying to sell it all as growth growth growth , green jobs , be at the front of the new Industrial Revolution to those who are realising the cost v benefit ratio

then a new plan will be formulated that keeps the money flowing up and so the dance begins again

this vince chap with the green football club is classic , interviewed on radio he couldn’t say how much he pays to just stop oil , whether they’re tax affairs are in order , how they money is used ( law breaking ?) and he makes his millions from his green energy company which also gets grants from the gov ie us tax payers , no conflict there me thinks 😂

Edited by Archied

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Have you been drinking before posting this or been on some momentum website? 😂

Edited by cstand

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I do find it funny that you're the second person to bring up the idea of these protesters getting a criminal record that will potentially lead to them having a bleak future 😂

If you accept a charge, that's on you for 11 years, there are some jobs out there that wouldn't touch anyone with something flag up.

Some of these less than bright sparks will no doubt accept multiple charges.

https://climate.copernicus.eu/record-breaking-north-atlantic-ocean-temperatures-contribute-extreme-marine-heatwaves?utm_source=press&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pr-CBjune23

It's the potential for unwanted positive feedback loops that is the most disturbing aspect of all this.  Namely those that will occur if Artic ice continues to melt or the methane deposits on the ocean beds. 

32 minutes ago, Highgate said:

https://climate.copernicus.eu/record-breaking-north-atlantic-ocean-temperatures-contribute-extreme-marine-heatwaves?utm_source=press&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pr-CBjune23

It's the potential for unwanted positive feedback loops that is the most disturbing aspect of all this.  Namely those that will occur if Artic ice continues to melt or the methane deposits on the ocean beds. 

do you mind? I'm trying to watch the tennis