Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

What was the death toll of the 1953 floods?

The 1953 flood is the most recent large coastal flood in Europe. The storm surge hit The Netherlands, the east coast of England, Belgium and Germany. Over 2.100 people died, of which more than 1.800 in The Netherlands.

Will just post a couple in the interest of balance

n little over a week, two hurricanes passed by Southern New England in August 1955 producing major flooding over much of the region. Hurricane Connie produced generally 4-6 inches of rainfall over southern New England on August 11 and 12.

Where was the flood of 1951?

July 13, 1951, can be rightly designated as the single day of greatest flood destruction in Midwestern United States history to that date. On July 13, the Kansas River crested at all official gaging stations, from Manhattan to Bonner 

The 1956 Murray River flood was the then largest flood ever recorded in South Australia. Heavy rains in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria eventually caused exceptional flooding along the length of the Murray River in South Australia.

All the above is true really (apart from the Ark 😄).  Devastating floods have always happened and will continue to do so. Human activity,  such replacing woods and wetlands with farmland and urban areas have made floods worse and our continued lamentable habit of building on long established flood plains will keep putting people in harms way. 

And the warming atmosphere will also increase the probability of severe flooding events occurring.  For every increase of 1 C, the atmosphere can hold roughly 7% more moisture. More moisture in the air increases the potential for more intense rainfall and therefore more severe flooding.  

All those things can be true simultaneously. 

25 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Devastating floods have always happened and will continue to do so. Human activity,  such replacing woods and wetlands with farmland and urban areas have made floods worse and our continued lamentable habit of building on long established flood plains will keep putting people in harms way. 

And the warming atmosphere will also increase the probability of severe flooding events occurring.  For every increase of 1 C, the atmosphere can hold roughly 7% more moisture. More moisture in the air increases the potential for more intense rainfall and therefore more severe flooding.  

All those things can be true simultaneously. 

almost as if we live in a planetary ecosystem

I know it's human nature to assume that the ecosystem will always balance itself out in the end, and I think that's actually very true.

The planet will survive ....and the remaining bacterial life will have a lovely old time. 

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I know it's human nature to assume that the ecosystem will always balance itself out in the end, and I think that's actually very true.

The planet will survive ....and the remaining bacterial life will have a lovely old time. 

I've been on this planet for 67 years so in 1956 the worlds population was...2,801,002,631 which took quite a while...circa 6million years to get there from when man/woman stood upright and started shagging each other.

Today in those 67 years it's increased to 8,045,311,447 almost trebled in my time on this planet.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/WLD/world/population

dads-were-doomed.gif 😁

11 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

circa 6million years to get there from when man/woman stood upright and started shagging each other.

which in scheme of the earth's timeline is the tiny pink bit at the top. To quote Bill Hicks - "We're just a virus in shoes"

image.png.80559e1e474077e807f9b7bdf3510bb4.png

29 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

We have been very lucky with the climate for the last 10,000 years, which has allowed us to develop our civilization.  Lucky to the point of complacency it seems. 

I can't see us being wiped out by climate change, but rather things will just get more inhospitable to our species. The extent of the change, ranging from manageable to disastrous depends our collective action over the next several decades. 

Either way I think the bacteria and Archaea will have little to worry about. 😄

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

OH yeh, in circa 3 billion years, The Milky Way and Andromeda will collide, 100billion+ suns on either side ready to make a larger Universe and maybe another species 🤷‍♀️

And for those above who are still in bed because they forgot to put their watches forward will be the lucky ones...as it goes bang in their sleep 😁

8 hours ago, Highgate said:

We have been very lucky with the climate for the last 10,000 years, which has allowed us to develop our civilization.  Lucky to the point of complacency it seems. 

I can't see us being wiped out by climate change, but rather things will just get more inhospitable to our species. The extent of the change, ranging from manageable to disastrous depends our collective action over the next several decades. 

It’s about sensible well thought out balanced change for me , we now live much longer , better, healthier lives and that’s not for no reason , the biggest problem I believe is that we are still driven by greed and that greed is getting worse , as I’ve said before , take me back 35 years when we started to care about the planet and green issues and I was right there with it , now I just see us hurtling into another blind alley which will prove in the long term to be no better for the planet than where we are now but will have kept us ordinary folk on the hamster wheel while making the usual subjects very much richer and more in control , imagine the panic 35 years ago when people were really getting on board with stopping the mad manta of growth growth growth on a planet that stays the same size , stopping filling our seas with plastic , stopping the take make throw away circle madness , it all made sense then ,now we are not just being encouraged to throw away and spent , we are being forced to with laws and taxes and at a rate of knots that will cause real hardship and poverty in the countries that could and should be sharing wealth and innovation with the poorer third world countries, but hey what do I know , I’m just a climate change denier 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-65648245

I think we can all also condemn this violence against peaceful protesters right?

Why would anyone not ? Because I don’t agree with these protesters and they’re actions I could easily do what others do very often when I pose a question and deflect by blaming the police for not sorting it out which somehow excuses or decreases the man’s behaviour but I won’t because the behaviour of the person is WRONG

On 11/05/2023 at 15:56, The Last Post said:

OH yeh, in circa 3 billion years, The Milky Way and Andromeda will collide, 100billion+ suns on either side ready to make a larger Universe and maybe another species 🤷‍♀️

And for those above who are still in bed because they forgot to put their watches forward will be the lucky ones...as it goes bang in their sleep 😁

Nobody will still be in bed - it will be far too hot. The current estimate, bearing in mind the increase of the Sun's luminosity, is that the surface of the Earth will be too hot to sustain liquid water in around 1 billion years.

Re the chances of an actual collision between any given two stars, that's negligible. Sure, the combined number of stars would be around 1.5 trillion, but the galaxies themselves occupy an awful lot of space. The Milky Way galaxy occupies 6.7 X 10^(51) km^3, and Andromeda at least double that.

The stars, relative to the actual galaxies, equate to the equivalent number of ping pong balls 150 km apart. A lot of space between them.