Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Re the chances of an actual collision between any given two stars, that's negligible. Sure, the combined number of stars would be around 1.5 trillion, but the galaxies themselves occupy an awful lot of space. The Milky Way galaxy occupies 6.7 X 10^(51) km^3, and Andromeda at least double that.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/andromeda-milky-way-galaxy-black-hole-collision-simulation

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1420882/brian-cox-new-force-nature-fourth-gravity-albert-einstein-theory-black-hole-spt

Edited by The Last Post

11 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Out in force today throwing orange powder over a biodiversity garden to protest about damage to the planet.

Personally I thought it was quite clever. Certainly easier to grasp the point they were making than when they did it at the snooker

"I'm just here for a short while and all I want to do is have a nice time and enjoy the plant life on display, so why do these awful people insist on taking such selfish actions to ruin that. I'm furious about it."

But enough about climate change , I've just heard that some protesters have thrown a bit more orange paint at the Chelsea Flower Show

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Personally I thought it was quite clever. Certainly easier to grasp the point they were making than when they did it at the snooker

"I'm just here for a short while and all I want to do is have a nice time and enjoy the plant life on display, so why do these awful people insist on taking such selfish actions to ruin that. I'm furious about it."

But enough about climate change , I've just heard that some protesters have thrown a bit more orange paint at the Chelsea Flower Show

I'll be Michael Miles so...Take your pick 😁

Die deutsche Polizei spielt nicht herum

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-25/germany-raid-climate-protesters-criminal-organisation/102389278

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ap-berlin-olaf-scholz-munich-italian-b2344662.html

This is from the Mail online...so swipe left

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12119821/While-British-cops-German-police-raid-properties-response-fury-protesters.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65693412.amp

8 hours ago, The Last Post said:

All I can see is an extreme group of people who have decided they are right and hold some self appointed moral high ground to bypass democracy and force they’re mayhem on ordinary decent people going about they’re lives , they constantly liken themselves to the suffragette s when actually they are far more guy Faulks , stand for election if you want change 🤷🏻‍♂️

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think it was the height of stupidity and they should be shipped off to a gulag the bohemian fairyland living t****.

6 minutes ago, Archied said:

All I can see is an extreme group of people who have decided they are right and hold some self appointed moral high ground to bypass democracy and force they’re mayhem on ordinary decent people going about they’re lives , they constantly liken themselves to the suffragette s when actually they are far more guy Faulks , stand for election if you want change 🤷🏻‍♂️

The use of Orange powder to support their cause...ie World Snooker/Chelsea flower show is for publicity, What I have an issue with is the blocking of public highways when folk want/need to go about their business.

There's a video/story of the man who assaulted stop oil protesters by throwing them to the floor, 2 police officers arrested him, While letting stop oil to carry on walking and slowing traffic down.

137Penalty For Wilful Obstruction.E+W

(1)If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine

I doubt that stop oil notified the police about their protest at Black Friars Bridge, As their brief is to hit the public without notice, My issue is the Police let this protest carry on knowing they are breaking the law, Yet arrested no one except for the aggressor, The police are getting pelters after the debacle of Charlie being crowned King and innocent by standers getting arrested for being in the wrong place at the wrong time 🙄

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Why don’t these protesters go to the main oil producing countries like Russia Saudi Arabia or USA and try to make a real difference. Targeting a country that produces next to nothing is a waste of everyone’s time.

These protestors are funded by the fuel/oil producers. We are being scammed, conned and ripped off by them.

BP, Shell etc have made record profits while you and me have had to pay the highest rates in our lifetimes for gas and electricity.

Do you know what gets me, the price of wind energy is tied to the price of gas. Governments controlled by the energy companies will not drop prices even if most of their energy is produced from renewables because that would affect the price of oil and gas.

We're fcked. Totally controlled by billionaires who's only driving force is share value and profit.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

These protestors are funded by the fuel/oil producers. We are being scammed, conned and ripped off by them.

BP, Shell etc have made record profits while you and me have had to pay the highest rates in our lifetimes for gas and electricity.

Do you know what gets me, the price of wind energy is tied to the price of gas. Governments controlled by the energy companies will not drop prices even if most of their energy is produced from renewables because that would affect the price of oil and gas.

We're fcked. Totally controlled by billionaires who's only driving force is share value and profit.

One day

20ixHA.gif

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

You are right.

When the gas price went up wind didn’t become more expensive nor nuclear power. It is one big fix an weas the working class suffer because the price increases lower our living standards.

It doesn’t matter who is in power nothing will change like you said it’s a stitch up.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

And the U.K. importing the fossil fuel it needs rather than getting its own from the North Sea changes this how ?
even if you go along with all this world is comming to an end fear inducing propaganda 

the U.K. going nut s zero changes anything how ?

Edited by Archied

3 hours ago, Archied said:

And the U.K. importing the fossil fuel it needs rather than getting its own from the North Sea changes this how ?
even if you go along with all this world is comming to an end fear inducing propaganda 

the U.K. going nut s zero changes anything how ?

Well obviously that would be of no help at all. 

I think the report talks about our climate heading into 'uncharted territory' and there being 'serious repercussions for our civilization' rather than the world coming to an end.  

The impact of the U.K. going net zero would be a small reduction in CO2-eq emissions globally, but then the UK contains less than 1% of the world's population, so that's to be expected.

Edited by Highgate

6 hours ago, Highgate said:

Well obviously that would be of no help at all. 

I think the report talks about our climate heading into 'uncharted territory' and there being 'serious repercussions for our civilization' rather than the world coming to an end.  

The impact of the U.K. going net zero would be a small reduction in CO2-eq emissions globally, but then the UK contains less than 1% of the world's population, so that's to be expected.

That’s my point , these loons are running round making peoples lives a misery, inflating they’re oversized fake halo s demanding stuff that clearly will not make a blind bit of difference in fact it will make for more pollution 🤷🏻‍♂️, I see your argument as far more reasoned and has more honesty,

if I’m honest and think about it I’m actually quite stunned that at this stage of our evolution we really havnt come up with the solution to cheap clean energy and I don’t mean regressive windmills or massive solar power stations as both are intermittent , raw material finite and as such really not geared for the energy needs of modern countries or countries fighting they’re way out of the dark ages , I mean we have innovated weapons powerful enough to destroy the world 1000 times over , we can land on the moon , we have satellites circling the world that can give me turn by turn directions to pride park , why it’s almost as if cheap clean energy would destroy the gravy train and I include this massive lastest take make throw away drive along with fossil fuels in that thinking

Edited by Archied

8 hours ago, Archied said:

That’s my point , these loons are running round making peoples lives a misery, inflating they’re oversized fake halo s demanding stuff that clearly will not make a blind bit of difference in fact it will make for more pollution 🤷🏻‍♂️, I see your argument as far more reasoned and has more honesty,

if I’m honest and think about it I’m actually quite stunned that at this stage of our evolution we really havnt come up with the solution to cheap clean energy and I don’t mean regressive windmills or massive solar power stations as both are intermittent , raw material finite and as such really not geared for the energy needs of modern countries or countries fighting they’re way out of the dark ages , I mean we have innovated weapons powerful enough to destroy the world 1000 times over , we can land on the moon , we have satellites circling the world that can give me turn by turn directions to pride park , why it’s almost as if cheap clean energy would destroy the gravy train and I include this massive lastest take make throw away drive along with fossil fuels in that thinking

Yeah, I'd agree with you that we should have been spending money on the problem of cheap clean energy years ago.  The US congress was clearly informed of the climate issue in the 1980s.  Imagine if they had decided just to spend 10% of their military budget on finding a clean energy source in the 40 years since.  Obviously, they still would have been the overwhelming military superpower on the planet and we might have had a replacement for fossil fuels everywhere by now, who knows maybe even Nuclear Fusion would be a reality if that sort of money had been spent. 

Wind and solar power are intermittent, that's true. But that's when you only consider it from a local perspective. Globally, the sun is always shining and the wind always blowing somewhere.  So if you interconnect your national grids, it can make intermittent energy production less of a problem.  Also, these days there is the option of grid scale battery storage, that can store the power when it's produced (from renewables for example) and keep it for when it's needed. An added benefit of these facilities is that their power can simply be switched on and off, meaning it's available instantly whenever the grid needs it...making it a dream come true for those people who operate national grids. 

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I'd agree with you that we should have been spending money on the problem of cheap clean energy years ago.  The US congress was clearly informed of the climate issue in the 1980s.  Imagine if they had decided just to spend 10% of their military budget on finding a clean energy source in the 40 years since.  Obviously, they still would have been the overwhelming military superpower on the planet and we might have had a replacement for fossil fuels everywhere by now, who knows maybe even Nuclear Fusion would be a reality if that sort of money had been spent. 

Wind and solar power are intermittent, that's true. But that's when you only consider it from a local perspective. Globally, the sun is always shining and the wind always blowing somewhere.  So if you interconnect your national grids, it can make intermittent energy production less of a problem.  Also, these days there is the option of grid scale battery storage, that can store the power when it's produced (from renewables for example) and keep it for when it's needed. An added benefit of these facilities is that their power can simply be switched on and off, meaning it's available instantly whenever the grid needs it...making it a dream come true for those people who operate national grids. 

For me wind and solar located on the planet will only ever be bit part and also the kind of magnitude of battery storage needed to make it the power source needed to run the developed world and build the undeveloped world given that the materials for batteries is also finite makes me believe it’s regressive and very much not the future ,but hey plenty disagree with my opinion on that, that’s partly why I’m very much against another mass take make throw away cycle that makes the poor poorer and is a blind alley 

I’m so opposed to these eco loons because it’s just madness to think we plunge backwards with energy supply which really has made our lives longer and better and sustains us , just because we grant licenses to explore for new fossil fuel in the North Sea doesn’t mean we can’t go all out to develop BETTER options and stop production of fossil fuels at the drop of a hat if/ when we achieve that , I may be a bit of a conspiracy theorist here but I don’t believe there is any real political and commercial will to do that , money ,power and tax revenue 

it’s like turkey s voting for Christmas 

I was on the side of climate protestors for a long time. Over the past year or so, their tactics to promote their campaigns are getting very tedious and becoming a nuisance to people who might well be eco aware, however they're disrupting their daily lives. 

What grinds my gears more is the level of hypocrisy. This is from all sides. The oil/gas companies making huge profits from a humantiaran crisis in Ukraine. The same goes with supermarkets. All have exploited the situation, "followed the market" and made their shareholders very happy. And then you have climate protestors filming all their content on brand new phones made in China, a diet which has a bigger carbon footprint than a regular balanced diet, because the vast amounts of importing from their food. I can't get behind any of these groups. I feel like I can't stand all sides of the debate.

Having watched Clarksons Farm, besides the larking about, it raised genuine concerns about issues with buying local produce, lack of support for local farmers and the vast problems within the UK food industry. I wouldn't mind if the climate groups actually joined together with UK farmers to promote the benefits of buying food grown from our own shores. There must be a carbon footprint saving, rather than the constant streaming of imports. We save the planet and it's more money for farmers. But sadly I can't see this happening, because of the horrible lack of comprise we've seemingly have forgotten about.

I understand buying British food is more expensive, it does come at the price of a higher shopping bill. If many UK families stopped eating fast food once or twice a week, which is the current average, that would cover the additional expenses of having to buy more expensive local food. Also, if we are to be more sustainable, we need to go back to eating seasonally. I feel like the vast amount of choice is damaging us because we've become so lazy and we can pick whatever we want, whenever we want. I'm not an old fart either, I've only realised recently to becoming more conscious about my lifestyle and wanting to see future generations not struggling because of our stupid decisions.

Sacrifices need to be made at some point, a shame many of the stakeholders from all sides can't have a grown up debate to sit down and discuss what we go doing forward to save the planet.

51 minutes ago, SSD said:

I was on the side of climate protestors for a long time. Over the past year or so, their tactics to promote their campaigns are getting very tedious and becoming a nuisance to people who might well be eco aware, however they're disrupting their daily lives. 

What grinds my gears more is the level of hypocrisy. This is from all sides. The oil/gas companies making huge profits from a humantiaran crisis in Ukraine. The same goes with supermarkets. All have exploited the situation, "followed the market" and made their shareholders very happy. And then you have climate protestors filming all their content on brand new phones made in China, a diet which has a bigger carbon footprint than a regular balanced diet, because the vast amounts of importing from their food. I can't get behind any of these groups. I feel like I can't stand all sides of the debate.

Having watched Clarksons Farm, besides the larking about, it raised genuine concerns about issues with buying local produce, lack of support for local farmers and the vast problems within the UK food industry. I wouldn't mind if the climate groups actually joined together with UK farmers to promote the benefits of buying food grown from our own shores. There must be a carbon footprint saving, rather than the constant streaming of imports. We save the planet and it's more money for farmers. But sadly I can't see this happening, because of the horrible lack of comprise we've seemingly have forgotten about.

I understand buying British food is more expensive, it does come at the price of a higher shopping bill. If many UK families stopped eating fast food once or twice a week, which is the current average, that would cover the additional expenses of having to buy more expensive local food. Also, if we are to be more sustainable, we need to go back to eating seasonally. I feel like the vast amount of choice is damaging us because we've become so lazy and we can pick whatever we want, whenever we want. I'm not an old fart either, I've only realised recently to becoming more conscious about my lifestyle and wanting to see future generations not struggling because of our stupid decisions.

Sacrifices need to be made at some point, a shame many of the stakeholders from all sides can't have a grown up debate to sit down and discuss what we go doing forward to save the planet.

Pretty much covers my opinion on what green used to be before it was hijacked , made me smile the other day when the co founder of xr was pulled for driving her diesel car to Waitrose and filling her shopping trolley with fancy expensive imported trendy planet saving food stuff , they defended that she was a single parent and her food and vehicle choice were forced by affordability and she was really struggling financially,,,,,,, got to tell them that single parents who are REALLY struggling ain’t shopping in Waitrose 🤷🏻‍♂️

I say bring back real green aims that make sense and reject the new green that magically needs spend spend spend , tax tax tax ,throw away throw away throw away , I really wish that well meaning people would just take a little look at whether we are not just being a little bit scammed , there is a middle ground and a balanced way forward and what we have from both sides of this debate is very much not that , wanting a better planet does not mean we can’t question what we are being told will produce that

Edited by Archied

• 5 weeks later...