Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

29 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Sorry if it's basic knowledge, but I'm not too sure on the youth leagues. With both u18's and u21's bottom, what happens for relegation? Is there a relegation? If so, to what league? And is it catastrophic for the recruitment and development of the young players?

There is no relegation from the U18 leagues. They are split into two divisions, but North and South.
There is only relegation from U21 Division 1. We were relegated last season and are now in Division 2 where there is no relegation.

There are numerous factors which youngsters will consider when choosing an academy. League & position of the first team and league position and strength of the academy teams will be factors so both will have an impact on who we can attract. However, each person will put a different priority on different factors. Location and quality of coaching would be higher in my own priorities. 

48 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is no relegation from the U18 leagues. They are split into two divisions, but North and South.
There is only relegation from U21 Division 1. We were relegated last season and are now in Division 2 where there is no relegation.

There are numerous factors which youngsters will consider when choosing an academy. League & position of the first team and league position and strength of the academy teams will be factors so both will have an impact on who we can attract. However, each person will put a different priority on different factors. Location and quality of coaching would be higher in my own priorities. 

Appreciate the breakdown - hopefully the academy can regroup itself and try to recover from the catastrophy of the last couple of seasons. They've had some fantastic recruitment from players released by the big boys and those plucked from Ireland. Hopefully we can get back on track soon.

15 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I didn't think that we have an under 21s anymore. Aren't they under 23s? Or is that only for the leagues?

It's the other way round Rich. The PL no longer has an U23 league - it's now U21 and U18 but some over age players are allowed. For the Derbyshire Cup there is not an age barrier and we could play any of our players - it's just that we enter as the U21 side.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

22 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

It's the other way round Rich. The PL no longer has an U23 league - it's now U21 and U18 but some over age players are allowed. For the Derbyshire Cup there is not an age barrier and we could play any of our players - it's just that we enter as the U21 side.

Just recovering from COVID. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF