Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

We really missed the boat in 2013/14. In another universe, Derby beat QPR, Thorne doesn’t get injured in pre season and we easily stay up with Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick forming a comfortable PL midfield.

Even 18/19. We win that game and there's a chance we re-sign some of the loanees (maybe even upgrading our manager if Lampard still went) and sneak survival. Who knows what happens after that.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Even 18/19. We win that game and there's a chance we re-sign some of the loanees (maybe even upgrading our manager if Lampard still went) and sneak survival. Who knows what happens after that.

I think the 18/19 side would have needed a lot more work to it than the 2013/14 side. The 2013/14 side had way more potential as the wage bill was still low, and the squad in general was still young.

You look at how Bournemouth went up and easily survived for a few years.

That should have been us. 

12 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Who knows where we'd be now though? Maybe midtable championship or still league 1 after relegation and financial issues. Eventually we will get there, need to get to championship first then get a new owner with more money to take us to next level as we could be like a Preston always in midtable if don't invest with the championship being tough at the top. Possibly could get to Prem without spending alot but it's hard to do anything in the Prem without decent funds to buy players for 10+mill and offer 70k+ a week.

Hmm, a local owner with more money willing to spend silly money. Like Mel?

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Hmm, a local owner with more money willing to spend silly money. Like Mel?

Doesn't have to be local can be a Russian Oligarch just someone who will invest enough to make the club be able to compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Crystal Palace again. 

We will never establish ourselves in the Premier League which has to be the aim without significantly more investment and more than Mel could afford as well. If you have an owner with 500mill net worth that's not even rich for the Premier league you need to spend and spend smart or just be like Luton or us when we were last there and get our ass handed to us. In football money doesn't guarantee success but with how things are not enough money does guarantee mediocrity. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

3 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Doesn't have to be local can be a Russian Oligarch just someone who will invest enough to make the club be able to compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Crystal Palace again. 

We will never establish ourselves in the Premier League which has to be the aim without significantly more investment and more than Mel could afford as well. If you have an owner with 500mill net worth that's not even rich for the Premier league you need to spend and spend smart or just be like Luton or us when we were last there and get our ass handed to us. In football money doesn't guarantee success but with how things are not enough money does guarantee mediocrity. 

I’d give my left nut for the heady heights of mediocrity right now. 

4 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

i dont think people realise how much money you need to compete at that level 

clubs that are deemed as poor still drop about 70 odd million in players and to kick on you need pretty much unlimited funds or a revonutionary way of recruiting players that brighton do.

and thats all assuming you can even make it to that level to begin with as thats probably the hardest bit

21 hours ago, Ramley Apple said:

As much I hate to give anyone associated with that shower and credit you have to say Cooper has done a fantastic job there

Inevitably he'll go at some point though and they'll drop back down to where they belong

This might sound like one of those ungracious "yes, but..." answers - because it is.

Yes he has done well and other managers may not have succeeded in doing what he did (to get them up and keep them up)

but he has been well-backed financially and, like all successful clubs, his reign has coincided with a bit of fortune, particularly at key moments (play-off final, utter rubbishness of relegation rivals at the end of last season). He's also fortunate that this season looks like having the most average-or-worse Premier League teams for a long time. I had them down for 14th (sorry) before a ball was kicked and they could even go higher if all their new signings bed in.

I still wonder if he might be a stepping stone to a manager the owner thinks fit for the big-spending Notts Forest he has been putting together. You only have to look at Bournemouth and Watford to know that a lot of clubs don't worry too much about loyalty. So I'm not sure if you think they'll drop down because he'll walk/move on to better things, or he'll get sacked before, during or after the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

(I have no firm evidence that the latter will happen... just have to live in hope).

1 hour ago, Yoxoram said:

There's no denying that Cooper has done a good job. And there's always room for a little chuckle at Chelsea for losing at home.

I think he’s done an ok job, he spent over 120 million last season on about 20 players, half of which never got a game and he ended up scraping safety due to some lucky home wins and other teams being equally rubbish 

36 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

I think he’s done an ok job, he spent over 120 million last season on about 20 players, half of which never got a game and he ended up scraping safety due to some lucky home wins and other teams being equally rubbish 

I do wonder how much control he had over the incomings. What he did well was fashion a team out of them that was able to compete in the Premier League.

On 02/09/2023 at 18:48, Marriot Ram99 said:

Who knows where we'd be now though? Maybe midtable championship or still league 1 after relegation and financial issues. Eventually we will get there, need to get to championship first then get a new owner with more money to take us to next level as we could be like a Preston always in midtable if don't invest with the championship being tough at the top. Possibly could get to Prem without spending alot but it's hard to do anything in the Prem without decent funds to buy players for 10+mill and offer 70k+ a week.

Mel was supposedly taking us to the next level with his big spending. That worked out well didn’t it?! Be careful what you wish for (as we learned the hard way).

Edited by Will the Ram