Best GK Performance against Derby

Mick Harford

I always thought that Paul Reece for Oxford was amazing, but I also seem to remember Kevin Pressman being brilliant in a ZDS? cup match once, any of you guys remember a stunning performance against us.

This was Reecey, spoke to him a year or so ago and he explained that he had to buy his own gloves (Sondico Spink Pro) for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCtR6YyLIA&t=309s

1. Shilton for Leicester at the BBG in the early 70s - it was us vs him and he was at the top of his game. 

2. Gary Walsh for Bradford City at PP, 1999. This was the game that Fuertes got sent off for elbowing Weatherall in the head (should've got a medal really) Bradford fluked a goal (an o.g by Bazooka) and, despite only having ten men, we laid siege to the Bradford goal but couldn't force an equaliser due to the brilliance of Walsh that day. 

13 hours ago, Premier ram said:

I remember a game in 2004 against Crewe at PP, finished 0-0 , absolute one way traffic , Derby bombarded their goal but their keeper had a worldie , Clayton Ince was his name

This one always stands out for me too. No idea how we didn't score that day.

30 minutes ago, Red_ram said:

This one always stands out for me too. No idea how we didn't score that day.

Brian Clough was at that one .  Reichs debut and he reckoned it was the best debut he'd seen from any player and Derby had the signed the best player in the division on a free if he was used properly.  It was good but the best debut I've seen from a player was Gary Charles in the Sunderland 5-0

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

1. Shilton for Leicester at the BBG in the early 70s - it was us vs him and he was at the top of his game. 

2. Gary Walsh for Bradford City at PP, 1999. This was the game that Fuertes got sent off for elbowing Weatherall in the head (should've got a medal really) Bradford fluked a goal (an o.g by Bazooka) and, despite only having ten men, we laid siege to the Bradford goal but couldn't force an equaliser due to the brilliance of Walsh that day. 

Was about to suggest Shilts, was it the game where we won 3-0 in the championship season?

I stood behind the Ossie End net for this game (with the late lamented Crompton Cables boy's), It should have been about 12-0 to Derby and would have been if it wasn't for PS.

On the Crompton Crew, one tried to nick his cap and gloves etc when Shilts was concentrating on the game upfield. Shilton noticed and chased him back off the pitch. Sigh happy days.

Sorry Boycie, Uncle Alberts' back!

Edited by I DONT MIND

4 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

Was about to suggest Shilts, was it the game where we won 3-0 in the championship season?

I stood behind the Ossie End net for this game (with the late lamented Crompton Cables boy's), It should have been about 12-0 to Derby and would have been if it wasn't for PS.

On the Crompton Crew, one tried to nick his cap and gloves etc when Shilts was concentrating on the game upfield. Shilton noticed and chased him back off the pitch. Sigh happy days.

Sorry Boycie, Uncle Alberts' back!

Could well have been that one - both him and Pat Jennings were the main obstacles to beating their teams in those days. I also remember Gordon Banks putting in a fine display for Stoke in a 0-0 draw at the BBG early in 69/70 season. The top Goalkeepers really dominated their areas in those days.

On 20/04/2022 at 16:53, Mick Harford said:

I always thought that Paul Reece for Oxford was amazing, but I also seem to remember Kevin Pressman being brilliant in a ZDS? cup match once, any of you guys remember a stunning performance against us.

This was Reecey, spoke to him a year or so ago and he explained that he had to buy his own gloves (Sondico Spink Pro) for this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCtR6YyLIA&t=309s

Didn't we have something silly like 23 shots actually on target in that game ?