Chatted to a Leeds fan this weekend

Ram Logan Josh

Stayed with some good friends in York this weekend.  Met Paul's stepson for the first time.  He's in his early 30s and a Leeds season ticket holder.  We had a good lengthy chat. Some things that arose:

• He giggled when I mentioned 'Dirty Leeds'.
  • He was desperately worried about Leeds's current position in the Prem. (He should be so lucky!)
  • Knew we'd had a points deduction but didn't realise it was 21.
  • Wanted to beat us every game but didn't agree with the 'party when we die' sentiment.
  • Thought our demise in the public's sympathy began with the sacking of Keogh.
  • Knew nothing of our soft and hard embargo issues.  Loved Jagielka!
  • Thought Rooney was our manager at the time of the play-off semi, not Lampard.  Didn't know Cocu had ever been manager.
  • Didn't approve of the Morris selling the stadium to himself trick.
  • Wondered if Morris (hadn't heard of Pearce) was still on the EFL board.
  • Interestingly, was confident we'd survive and League 1 wasn't the end of the world.  Apparently Ken Bates put Leeds into administration part way through a match when the score meant relegation was inevitable!  He was trying to ensure any points deduction would be whilst they were technically still in the Championship and they'd be able to start League 1 on zero points.  The EFL took a dim view of this and forced a 15 point deduction when starting League 1.  They still reached the play-off semis that first season.  I'd forgotten all this.
  • Agreed the EFL weren't fit for purpose.
  • Loved Bielsa, but thought his stubborn refusal to adapt his style even slightly cost him his job.

Interesting to get an outsider's view of our situation.

I hope you remembered to sanitize after.

Couple of interesting observations, yes the Keogh affair was bad optics, in light of seemingly bending over backwards for Lawrence but trying to shuffle Keogh out to avoid paying him.

I remember Leeds spent that whole season crying about that deduction, kept putting the "when we get our points back" table in the match program, endless legal challenges, never thought they'd done anything wrong. They acted like they were more victims than Liverpool...

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

29 minutes ago, Boycie said:

How can he forget the Lampard saga ?  Spy gate and then the playoff semi final at Belend Road?

Weird?

Repressed memories.

In 15 years there's going to be therapists from Dewsbury to Wetherby saying "it's ok to cry now, let it all out, jack Marriott isn't going to hurt you anymore"

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I stopped reading when you said you spoke to a Leeds fan. Why would anyone in their right mind wanna do that?!

He could be the barman. I only resort to unintelligible grunts and pointing (as opposed to speaking) when approaching the end of a session.

3 hours ago, Ram Logan Josh said:

Stayed with some good friends in York this weekend.  Met Paul's stepson for the first time.  He's in his early 30s and a Leeds season ticket holder.  We had a good lengthy chat. Some things that arose:

• He giggled when I mentioned 'Dirty Leeds'.
  • He was desperately worried about Leeds's current position in the Prem. (He should be so lucky!)
  • Knew we'd had a points deduction but didn't realise it was 21.
  • Wanted to beat us every game but didn't agree with the 'party when we die' sentiment.
  • Thought our demise in the public's sympathy began with the sacking of Keogh.
  • Knew nothing of our soft and hard embargo issues.  Loved Jagielka!
  • Thought Rooney was our manager at the time of the play-off semi, not Lampard.  Didn't know Cocu had ever been manager.
  • Didn't approve of the Morris selling the stadium to himself trick.
  • Wondered if Morris (hadn't heard of Pearce) was still on the EFL board.
  • Interestingly, was confident we'd survive and League 1 wasn't the end of the world.  Apparently Ken Bates put Leeds into administration part way through a match when the score meant relegation was inevitable!  He was trying to ensure any points deduction would be whilst they were technically still in the Championship and they'd be able to start League 1 on zero points.  The EFL took a dim view of this and forced a 15 point deduction when starting League 1.  They still reached the play-off semis that first season.  I'd forgotten all this.
  • Agreed the EFL weren't fit for purpose.
  • Loved Bielsa, but thought his stubborn refusal to adapt his style even slightly cost him his job.

Interesting to get an outsider's view of our situation.

At least they agreed EFL are not fit for purpose