Underrated Rams Moments

DarkFruitsRam7

10 hours ago, r4derby said:

So many of the suggestions on the first page were not underrated - people suggesting anything from the playoffs is a bit ridiculous!

2 from me:

home against Colchester under Billy - think we won 5-1 with Lupoli scoring a good volley

Also when we beat Blackpool in 13/14, think we went behind before winning 5-1, good fun that match

I know what you mean but the playoff thing is an odd one. As one of the lucky folk who was there it seemed destined to live long in the mind as we were well and truly under the cosh at the time but we scored a flowing counter-attack from deep in our own half, but several hours later Billy's constant whining on interviews all the way home ground a fair bit of the joy out of it for me and I remember eventually switching the radio off in irritation. I think it IS probably underrated in the sense that had it led to something less painful than THAT season then we'd probably think more fondly of it, it was a cracking goal in a massive game but doesn't generally get much love from fans because of what came after.

Derby County v Manure while Paul Clement was the manager. He had us playing sideways and backwards and hiding in our penalty area all match. Then suddenly Chris Martin and George Thorne said “stuff this!” and created a two man multi-pass move that ripped United apart with a stunning goal. 

It never ever happened again under Clement . ?

Steve Howard's goal at Southampton away in 2007 (league game). Remember it being a huge top of the table clash.

They had some great players and quite a few good chances, it was a bit of a smash-and-grab if I remember.

Steve Howard, 81st minute, roof of the net. Fans behind the goal go mental!

On 08/03/2022 at 10:15, Alty_Ram said:

I know what you mean but the playoff thing is an odd one. As one of the lucky folk who was there it seemed destined to live long in the mind as we were well and truly under the cosh at the time but we scored a flowing counter-attack from deep in our own half, but several hours later Billy's constant whining on interviews all the way home ground a fair bit of the joy out of it for me and I remember eventually switching the radio off in irritation. I think it IS probably underrated in the sense that had it led to something less painful than THAT season then we'd probably think more fondly of it, it was a cracking goal in a massive game but doesn't generally get much love from fans because of what came after.

Agree... It will always be associated with Billy Davies and THAT season. The foul weather that day foreshadowed what was to come. I remember very little from that game but one thing which sticks out for me which I would put forward as under-rated - was the spontaneous roar from all the Derby fans towards the end of the match. Unreal wall of noise and a true hair stand up on the back of yer neck moment.

Fair enough. For me, that night is up there as one of my favourite nights in football. When asked about my fave games, it’s one of the first ones I go to. My interpretation is a game that I don’t automatically think of until someone else mentions it, to which you go “oh yeah!”

Yes, bit of a bugger was that that.  Bit unfair as well to the board.  We had 35 million ? that following season but the first thing they had to do was clear a 15 million overdraft with the co- op .  That on top of paying 16 million to get the ground back our previous owners had borrowed to spend on themselves and clear the other 15 million owed to the co-op the previous year.  46 million in debt 16 years ago in this division- yet we can't get a buyer now- anyway I digress.  They also had an average promotion bonus of 500k per player including those who hadn't kicked a ball that year.  That money was basically gone at the final whistle.

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The time when Johnny Russell/Martyn Wahgorn were through one on one with the keeper and didn't fluff the chance needs special mention.....actually can someone remind me when that was please as my memory ain't that great....

negative sci fi GIF