The Ukraine War

Day

11 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

With little to no real air support on that eastern flank I finding baffling the AFU can keep clawing back territory. Kremina would be a nice achievement before the NY. 

Looks like there’s some truth to it.

Ukrainian recon units are very close to the city boundaries and the Russian military command for the area have withdrawn from the city and relocated to Rubizhny.

One to watch

If I was a Russian and criticized Putins War...I wouldn't stay in a high rise hotel in a foreign land ?

Russian politician who criticised Putin's war in Ukraine dies in India

Russian citizens Pavel Antov and Vladimir Bidenov have died in unusual circumstances in a hotel in Odisha, India. The two were co-travellers and died two days apart.

Mr Antov, 65, was a lawmaker and had recently criticised Russian President Vladimir Putin for the war in Ukraine but soon retracted it.

He died after falling from the third floor of his hotel. He was found lying in a pool of blood outside the hotel on Saturday 24 December.

Police said they suspected it to be suicide as he was reportedly depressed after his friend's death.

Mr Bidenov had been found lying unconscious in his room on Thursday 22 December and was declared dead by doctors at the district hospital.

The Russian embassy said Odisha police have not yet found any criminal link in the death of two of its citizen at the same hotel in the state.

Local media reports speculated of a hit-job as a number of critics of President Putin have died in similar ways in Russia.

4 hours ago, The Last Post said:

If I was a Russian and criticized Putins War...I wouldn't stay in a high rise hotel in a foreign land ?

Russian politician who criticised Putin's war in Ukraine dies in India

Russian citizens Pavel Antov and Vladimir Bidenov have died in unusual circumstances in a hotel in Odisha, India. The two were co-travellers and died two days apart.

Mr Antov, 65, was a lawmaker and had recently criticised Russian President Vladimir Putin for the war in Ukraine but soon retracted it.

He died after falling from the third floor of his hotel. He was found lying in a pool of blood outside the hotel on Saturday 24 December.

Police said they suspected it to be suicide as he was reportedly depressed after his friend's death.

Mr Bidenov had been found lying unconscious in his room on Thursday 22 December and was declared dead by doctors at the district hospital.

The Russian embassy said Odisha police have not yet found any criminal link in the death of two of its citizen at the same hotel in the state.

Local media reports speculated of a hit-job as a number of critics of President Putin have died in similar ways in Russia.

The number of prominent Russians that have died via “falling out of windows” must be well into double figures now.

You’d think all these mega rich oligarchs would be able to afford less dangerous windows?

27 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

The number of prominent Russians that have died via “falling out of windows” must be well into double figures now.

You’d think all these mega rich oligarchs would be able to afford less dangerous windows?

To answer my own question, there’s actually a wiki page on it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_businessmen_mystery_deaths

Ukraine hits a Russian army training base in Donetsk with HIMARS.

Suppoself there was rockets stored next to the building leading to the building being leveled.

Ukriane claiming there were up to 700 troops in building/immediate area. 

US intelligence think up to 400 could have been killed.

Russia says 60 odd dead.

I’m betting a conservative estimate is they’ve wiped out 200-300 troops.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/putin-is-terminally-ill-with-cancer-ukraine-military-claims-132326848.html

Interesting that that Ukraine brings this story back the day before Orthodox Christmas and on the back of Putin’s silly ceasefire games.

Not sure I agree with Budanov‘s assessment that things will improve once Putin is gone.

There’s some very nasty lunatics waiting in the wings, with Yevgeny Prigozhin currently going all out to prove his credentials in Bakhmut with a brutal WW1 style assault of the town.

Things could get even worse if they give power those that crave it most.

On 02/01/2023 at 18:17, Ramarena said:

Ukraine hits a Russian army training base in Donetsk with HIMARS.

Suppoself there was rockets stored next to the building leading to the building being leveled.

Ukriane claiming there were up to 700 troops in building/immediate area. 

US intelligence think up to 400 could have been killed.

Russia says 60 odd dead.

I’m betting a conservative estimate is they’ve wiped out 200-300 young, terrified, working class conscripts.

ftfy.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Working class people will die in battle and/or be left in abject poverty while the billionaires and oligarchs will create more wealth for themselves.

We never learn.

Agree with the sentiment, but I think this is more to do with a power-crazed Putin's need to leave a lasting legacy, at any cost. Far from restoring the Union to former perceived glories though, he's decimating a generation of young men and plunging Russia into economic crisis. It's a genuine tragedy.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is it only the “working class” that are being conscripted?

The old adage is...Wars are fought by the working classes, And orchestrated by the elite, I would have thought those wealthy Russians who got wind of the conscription would have bailed and took their loot with them ?‍♀️

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

The old adage is...Wars are fought by the working classes, And orchestrated by the elite, I would have thought those wealthy Russians who got wind of the conscription would have bailed and took their loot with them ?‍♀️

I agree about the wealthy but I suspect there are plenty of middle class young men (and women?) amongst the terrified conscripts.

I think the more pertinent question is : are the majority of the new conscripts still drawn from the poorer, remote republics a long, long way from Moscow, or are recent recruits now more drawn from 'European' Russia? If it's the latter, that's more likely to affect public opinion overall than the former if there continues to be heavy casualties.