WE ARE DERBY COUNTY, AND WE ARE STAYING UP, ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!

Day

17 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Guys! Please! .... Scansion!

I love, love, love the song and the spirit, but the first line is doing my head in: it has too many syllables. You can't hear it very well, because everyone jumbles out "twenty one points" in a rush.

MUCH better if "points" was dropped and the line was "They docked us twenty one" - the same syllables and rhythm as "Allez allez allez" and you can finish the line on a good long "ooone".

Please amend accordingly and report for singing practice at the Riverside Stadium at 15:00 on 12 March.

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I agree with your OCD in this matter! "they docked us 21" would be better.

What does scansion mean?

The current lyrics sound right to me. Probably because they have the same amount of syllables as the original Liverpool version: “We’ve conquered all of Europe…”

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Not sure about the apostrophe. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's correct grammar, though? 

I've used 'til since I first picked up a crayon... but Googled it the other day, (as one does!) and it appears I have spent decades kidding myself...

Until indicates when something will happen, begin, or end.
Till means the same thing as until.
Till is not an abbreviation of until—it’s actually older than until—and it should not be written with an apostrophe.
’Til turns up now and then, but major usage dictionaries and style guides consider it an error, so it’s best to avoid it.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/until-till-til/

To avoid getting my head kicked in by the NE Corner Massiff, I now consciously sing the lyrics "We're Derby County.  We'll fight TO the end".

?