Derby City Council

Vienna

Not from Derby so not totally sure what, if anything, the City Council are doing to help?

Without DCFC surely the city (and the council) lose millions - appreciate not everyone in Derby has an interest in Derby but the loss of the club without doubt impacts on everyone in some way. Got to be more that they can do, even if only short term loans?

9 minutes ago, Vienna said:

Not from Derby so not totally sure what, if anything, the City Council are doing to help?

Without DCFC surely the city (and the council) lose millions - appreciate not everyone in Derby has an interest in Derby but the loss of the club without doubt impacts on everyone in some way. Got to be more that they can do, even if only short term loans?

I read that DCFC is worth over £100m annually to the local economy, so yes they certainly do have a financial interest in helping us to survive.

47 minutes ago, Vienna said:

This is a tricky one, The Council leader Chris Poulter is also a season ticket holder at DCFC, They do put their hands in the funds they have, But to put in millions even if a loan someone or something will have to take a back seat.

Derby County DOES bring in much needed cash and are a huge asset to the community, This would have to have cross party support for a loan, I just don't see this happening

1 hour ago, Vienna said:

Not much the council can do. They aren't exactly flush with cash. They have however been vocal in their support and involvement with the save Derby campaign.

15 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

This is a tricky one, The Council leader Chris Poulter is also a season ticket holder at DCFC, They do put their hands in the funds they have, But to put in millions even if a loan someone or something will have to take a back seat.

Derby County DOES bring in much needed cash and are a huge asset to the community, This would have to have cross party support for a loan, I just don't see this happening

I think they should be prepared to assist if MM will not. Problem is, are they allowed to under their constitution?  does anyone know ? 

1 hour ago, Vienna said:

They've come together with MPs, Marketing Derby and big employers like RR, Toyota as "Team Derby" to support the administrators and exert pressure where they can. 

Leader of Council set up the meeting with Mel Morris that probably paved the way  for Mel's statement yesterday.

Very supportive with the walk - Mayor and lots of employees there as well as councillors.

If you read the Derby County updates thread, the John Forkin posts give more details about what Team Derby are doing.

40 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think they should be prepared to assist if MM will not. Problem is, are they allowed to under their constitution?  does anyone know ? 

Below is the make up of DCC, The Tories hold power in a minority council, Like Westminster, Councils are no different, Politics will get in the way of what would be common sense, Spend a few million to keep generating 10s of millions

I'm pretty sure most Councils have money tucked away over the years from Council house sales but need the Governments permission to release those funds, Also Pensions, Money invested in Art and so fourth, But if they dip in to those funds they lose out on Government pay outs.

So a Catch22 ?‍♂️

Conservative: 21 seats

Labour: 13 seats

Liberal Democrats: 8 seats

Reform Derby Group: 6 seats

Independent: 3 seats

Don’t know what the restrictions are on Council activities (sure there are many) but would be interesting to know in what extreme circumstances, for the good of the city, they could utilise their available  borrowing facilities?

From financial statements…
“In 2020/21 the Council had an authorised limit for external debt of £880.0m that compares to the actual level of debts outstanding at 31 March 2021 of £432.7m.”

25 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

If it came to it I think the council could agree a loan to help keep DCFC alive. I'm fairly sure the cross party thing wouldn't be an issue.

As @angieram has said, the council have shown support and are an integral part of Team Derby along with local business etc.

I would like to think that the council would agree a loan to the club if needed to keep our club alive. Afterall it's a fundamental part of our community in Derby and the club brings a large amount of revenue to the city.

Could those of us who live in Derby perhaps write a letter to the City Council to ask/request  this.

Edited by Ram1988

Taken from Annual Report - surely DCFC fall into all 3 objectives. This is more relevant than the “national picture” (most aren’t giving / won’t give any thought to Derby) - people of Derby need to demand immediate, REAL, action from their City Council (not just a couple of signs!!)

“The Council's delivery plan has the following themes:

A city with big ambitions - where the focus is on culture, economy, regeneration, skills and transport.

A city of health and happiness - where the focus is on children and adults, health and wellbeing, housing, leisure and neighbourhoods.

A council focussed on the things that matter - where the focus is on delivering for Derby, engaged, modern and efficient and value for money.”

3 hours ago, Vienna said:

Taken from Annual Report - surely DCFC fall into all 3 objectives. This is more relevant than the “national picture” (most aren’t giving / won’t give any thought to Derby) - people of Derby need to demand immediate, REAL, action from their City Council (not just a couple of signs!!)

“The Council's delivery plan has the following themes:

A city with big ambitions - where the focus is on culture, economy, regeneration, skills and transport.

A city of health and happiness - where the focus is on children and adults, health and wellbeing, housing, leisure and neighbourhoods.

A council focussed on the things that matter - where the focus is on delivering for Derby, engaged, modern and efficient and value for money.”

100%

15 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I would like to think that the council would agree a loan to the club if needed to keep our club alive. Afterall it's a fundamental part of our community in Derby and the club brings a large amount of revenue to the city.

Could those of us who live in Derby perhaps write a letter to the City Council to ask/request  this.

Why doesn’t the city  indemnify the club against the claims and allow the sale to proceed. If they do that I doubt the claims would even be brought. Preferable for MM to do it of course  

15 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

Aren't all local councils totally borassic? Nottingham City Council being a prime example. 

19 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

In an ideal world I think they might help out financially to help out the economy of the city, but as you say, it's a tricky one. With rumours of council taxes going up, care homes closing, it might be a contentious issue. I agree with you, btw.

On 05/02/2022 at 20:57, kevinhectoring said:

Why should they when they are a creditor and the council tax payers of Derby City Council will have to make up the shortfall