The Baseball Ground, home to Derby County 1895 to 1997

loweman2

One thing I loved about the BBG was its complete lack of symmetry, its awkward angles and differing heights and levels. it was a story of gradual evolution. But what a place to go, starting at age 8 in 1968, every experience you can imagine in that place, including a measure of "fear" as me Dad insisted on us standing in the Pop Side Columbo where increasing numbers of away supporters stood as the 70s progressed. Also, the final whistle "journey" to the exit in the Ossie End corner was not for the feint hearted, you could start off together but the swirl of people would lift a kid off his feet and move you about 10 yards away. My Dad used to say, if we get separated, I will meet you near the Hot Dog stall, on the Corner of Columbo Street and Shaftsbury.

But the situation changed a bit when more of the Derby "vocal"support moved to the Ossie End, as their exit was next to the exit for most away supporters leaving the Pop Side........it was often "interesting" there or as we say today "tasty"

30 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

A great montage of memories which would be absolutely phenomenal if they were painted onto a timeline that stretched around the concourses of Pride Park; a timeline of memories. 

Yes that would be good. At the last home game I had a look at the photographs of our history on the fence behind the south stand. I was a bit surprised to see that it seemed to miss out the Arthur Cox years, probably my most enjoyable time as a fan.

On 04/12/2021 at 10:01, Eatonram said:

One thing I loved about the BBG was its complete lack of symmetry, its awkward angles and differing heights and levels. it was a story of gradual evolution. But what a place to go, starting at age 8 in 1968, every experience you can imagine in that place, including a measure of "fear" as me Dad insisted on us standing in the Pop Side Columbo where increasing numbers of away supporters stood as the 70s progressed. Also, the final whistle "journey" to the exit in the Ossie End corner was not for the feint hearted, you could start off together but the swirl of people would lift a kid off his feet and move you about 10 yards away. My Dad used to say, if we get separated, I will meet you near the Hot Dog stall, on the Corner of Columbo Street and Shaftsbury.

But the situation changed a bit when more of the Derby "vocal"support moved to the Ossie End, as their exit was next to the exit for most away supporters leaving the Pop Side........it was often "interesting" there or as we say today "tasty"

I used to stand in the ossie corner, by the floodlight pylon, loved it there.

I was amazed at how far the sound could travel from the BBG even in later years. I remember living just off Friargate and being able to clearly hear Chelsea fans from the back garden, I think it was a sat afternoon cup game mid/late 80’s and they scored a few. It must have travelled so much further with 40,000 in! Also loved to see the glow over the city from the floodlights. Not quite the same with PP but can hear the crowd from Darley Park if the wind is from the south.