The Baseball Ground, home to Derby County 1895 to 1997

loweman2

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

In all honesty, I went for the atmospheric nature of the photo (I loved night games there) and didn't fully appreciate the significance.
A quick Google explains that it was a tad before my time (my defence!) and also the reason for your pain... for which I apologise... but it's fair to say, neither DCFC or the BBG are/were perfect, and I'm a great believer in allowing the bad times to make you appreciate and embrace the good times more.

So apologies for your pain (and for the tears of others' reactions), but no apology for an otherwise sexy, moody, classic BBG night shot!  

?

I was only pulling your leg, in all honesty I was only two at the time so any pain has only been formed from that of my old man’s pain, and of course Alan H, you are correct, those evenings when you could see the steam coming off the players and the mist (what ever it was ?) blowing in from Leys chimneys, the smell of the turf aswell, all very mesmerising and atmospheric, also the way you could hear the players calls to each other, there’s another penno !

E9734979-62A6-4BB8-93E7-C75BA9D1AEB6.jpeg

Does anyone else remember the unofficial "bike park" in the backyard of a house in Colombo Street, where the residents charged something like a shilling to look after them? My Dad and me used to cycle to games for a couple of seasons in the early 70s, before I started going with mates, and it was dead handy. 

Fantastic photo's and memories, the night of nights at the BBG must have been that must win game against Liverpool in 1971/1972 to stand a chance of winning our first title.

Can anyone find the film of John Mcgovern,s goal ?

My memory Mcgovern received the ball on the D of the penalty and it felt like slow motion with Clemence sprinting out of his goal, all of us were screaming shoot, Mcgovern was so composed as he waited for Clemence to come then he chipped the ball over Clemence and the ball bounced into the centre of the net, what composure under such extreme pressure.

34 minutes ago, JJs dms said:

With all thats happening around the club at the moment this thread not only brings back great memories but shows exactly why we should 'fight till the end' Derby COUNTY WE'LL SUPPORT YOU EVERMORE

There was a similar story on the bbc football site about the sale of DC memorabilia, found in the house of a Derby director from the 1930s-1950s, fascinating items.

13 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Went to two that season - 3-2 v Portsmouth and v 3-0 Reading. Then next season win v West Ham and a draw with Southampton after the Man U win I think. So not many games at that stage but I got used to Derby winning or at least not losing! 

Me too mate, first game was free tickets from Richie Williams football training against Southend Utd (think it was 0-0, only remember Ricky Otto), must have been 1994/95 followed by a whole load of games the following season, when we were winning obviously 

2 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Fantastic photo's and memories, the night of nights at the BBG must have been that must win game against Liverpool in 1971/1972 to stand a chance of winning our first title.

Can anyone find the film of John Mcgovern,s goal ?

My memory Mcgovern received the ball on the D of the penalty and it felt like slow motion with Clemence sprinting out of his goal, all of us were screaming shoot, Mcgovern was so composed as he waited for Clemence to come then he chipped the ball over Clemence and the ball bounced into the centre of the net, what composure under such extreme pressure.

John-McGovern.jpg

Edited by loweman2