The Baseball Ground, home to Derby County 1895 to 1997

loweman2

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Brilliant pictures, all of them, but did you have to slip in the reminder of Tommy Docherty?

He is as much of our history as Clough and Taylor but for the opposite reasons, the ying to their Yang yes we had an ageing team but he blew it to pieces and got it so spectacularly wrong in every way.

2 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Great memories of the BBG but for me 2 matches stand out both European Cup ties against Benfica and Real Madrid what magical nights they were. When you thought Derby were going to be great forever and ever. 

where did you sit / stand for those games ? did they feel different to the league games, in the first european run we had gone from playing carlisle and bury in division two to becoming Englands representatives against Benfica and Juventus in four seasons, a different class of opposition, to go through winning the second division, then the first division and tehn getting to the semi fianl of teh european cup must have been amazing to be caught up in that whirl wind of success !!

Some amazing memories Loweman2.

That iconic picture of Bobby D wheeling away after scoring pretty much sums up my BBG memories. Perhaps my favourite BBG match, for so many reasons, was beating Palace to clinch promotion. Robbie Van der Laan you legend!

I'm just interested. One of your comments suggested you were, like me, just too young to remember the glory years of the league titles (apologies if I'm mistaken), so what is your favourite BBG memory, and what's your favourite bit of memorabilia?

28 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

That iconic picture of Bobby D wheeling away after scoring pretty much sums up my BBG memories. Perhaps my favourite BBG match, for so many reasons, was beating Palace to clinch promotion. Robbie Van der Laan you legend!

I'm just interested. One of your comments suggested you were, like me, just too young to remember the glory years of the league titles (apologies if I'm mistaken), so what is your favourite BBG memory, and what's your favourite bit of memorabilia?

funny you should say that @Addingham Ram just like you my greatest memories revolve around Bobby Davison, the way he would surge forward on a break, especially his partnership with Phil Gee in the promotion season of 1987, i was 17 in those days, just started work, life was all about girls, drinking, mates, away days and home games ! great days to be alive and after all it was also the 80s, what a decade !! me second greatest memory is also of that van der laan header at the back post, i was in the ossie end in the seats on the front row and leapt over the "window" onto the terrace below and just about killed someone who i landed on and sprained my ankle aswell for my efforts. then of ocurse there was the Plymouth game to secure our place as champions !!!  best piece of memorabilia ?? , its got to be the second division champions medal along with Bobbys shirt and also Phil Gees shirt !!

49 minutes ago, Addingham Ram said:

Got to agree that picture of Bobby Davison has it all. Is there a colour version of it? would love a copy of it on my wall.

Great photos, great memories. Thanks loweman! Some memories of the Boys Enclosure, Normanton End, 9d entry, packed in like suffocating sardines:

1959 Cup 3rd Round Derby v. 1st Div Preston. 2-2, Jack Parry and George Darwin scored our goals. We were winning til Albert Mays conceded a daft penalty. The late great Tom Finney took their corners. In the Boys Enclosure, we were close enough to smell his embrocation. 

61-62 season. Derby 2 Shankley's LIverpool 0. Bill Curry flicked the ball over his and Big Ron Yeats's shoulders, ran round him like he was a stone post and scored a stunning goal. Pitch invasion at the end.

62-63 season. Derby 2 Sunderland 2. Jack Parry scored with an incredibly brave header, diving through a forest of legs and swinging boots. At the Normanton end, right in front of us. 

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

funny you should say that @Addingham Ram just like you my greatest memories revolve around Bobby Davison, the way he would surge forward on a break, especially his partnership with Phil Gee in the promotion season of 1987, i was 17 in those days, just started work, life was all about girls, drinking, mates, away days and home games ! great days to be alive and after all it was also the 80s, what a decade !! me second greatest memory is also of that van der laan header at the back post, i was in the ossie end in the seats on the front row and leapt over the "window" onto the terrace below and just about killed someone who i landed on and sprained my ankle aswell for my efforts. then of ocurse there was the Plymouth game to secure our place as champions !!!  best piece of memorabilia ?? , its got to be the second division champions medal along with Bobbys shirt and also Phil Gees shirt !!

Nice one.

Special days, like you say.

We never saw the League winning teams, but we had those Arthur Cox years.

I think that's why everyone loved the BBG. Different generations had different memories, each special to them.

I have grown fond of Pride Park over the years, but only as much as its where we now call home.

The South Stand can be amazing at times, but my spiritual home will always be the Popside, watching Booby D banging them in.

11 hours ago, loweman2 said:

where did you sit / stand for those games ? did they feel different to the league games, in the first european run we had gone from playing carlisle and bury in division two to becoming Englands representatives against Benfica and Juventus in four seasons, a different class of opposition, to go through winning the second division, then the first division and tehn getting to the semi fianl of teh european cup must have been amazing to be caught up in that whirl wind of success !!

I sat in The Ley Stand with my neighbour who got me into watching Derby because I was only 11 in 1972/73 season, it was only as I got older 16 that I stood on The Pop Side.