The Baseball Ground, home to Derby County 1895 to 1997

loweman2

First match... January 96. Top of the league v Reading. Won 3-0 Derby fans singing ‘we are top of the league.’ The worst thing was the view- I was too small. Could barely see. Loved the experience. The smells, the match day programme, the walk to the ground, the noise. Brilliant. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

12 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

First match... January 96. Top of the league v Reading. Won 3-0 Derby fans singing ‘we are top of the league.’ The worst thing was the view- I was too small. Could barely see. Loved the experience. The smells, the match day programme, the walk to the ground, the noise. Brilliant. 

My first match cup match against chelsea 1968,night match with all smell and smoke from leighs foundry. Atmosphere was electric, hooked from that night.

7 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

My first match cup match against chelsea 1968,night match with all smell and smoke from leighs foundry. Atmosphere was electric, hooked from that night.

Brilliant ! This is the ball from that actual game, the night that the Clough & Taylor train changed up a gear ! One of the greatest nights and atmospheres at the BBG !

40E3D9CF-8493-482E-B4DF-6313EC485795.jpeg

28B094CD-C560-4EF6-A3BE-6CE8224EA7A8.jpeg

7BEF8D8B-F634-42B4-8793-6BCAA5D76E31.jpeg

1FFA9559-8B1F-464D-B8A3-C0CA508B45F3.jpeg

34 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Same - couldnt see either when I first went standing with the fences but loved every second. My first season there was when we went down to the third tier last time. Looking at these pictures does bring back that feeling of walking to the ground - cant remember it properly but the BBG was  like that opening line of Bagpuss - saggy old cloth cat worn at the edges but Emily loved him

Edited by CBRammette

8 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Same - couldnt see either when I first went standing with the fences but loved every second. My first season there was when we went down to the third tier last time. Looking at these pictures does bring back that feeling of walking to the ground - cant remember it properly but the BBG was  like that opening line of Bagpuss - saggy old cloth cat worn at the edges but Emily loved him

Another favourite memory,beating spurs 4 0 i think it was, and seeing a player like greavsie playing there. Record attendance 40,000 plus. Think george best was the best player i saw there, but there again i could have been dazzled by his looks.??

9 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Funny thing was it was seating when I first went.... but tall people in front made it tricky! Think maybe some parts of the ground were not as steep as Pride Park.(although vaguely remember either Ossie or Normanton end upper being very steep at another match unless I got that wrong)  Would have had zero chance in the terraces, at least I got a glimpse of some action! Loved the 96 team- Gabbiadini Robert Sturridge Igor VanderLaan Chris and Darryl Powell Willems etc 

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Funny thing was it was seating when I first went.... but tall people in front made it tricky! Think maybe some parts of the ground were not as steep as Pride Park.(although vaguely remember either Ossie or Normanton end upper being very steep at another match unless I got that wrong)  Would have had zero chance in the terraces, at least I got a glimpse of some action! Loved the 96 team- Gabbiadini Robert Sturridge Igor VanderLaan Chris and Darryl Powell Willems etc 

Yes if only we had a few of them now!

11 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Oooh that one hurts ?

In all honesty, I went for the atmospheric nature of the photo (I loved night games there) and didn't fully appreciate the significance.
A quick Google explains that it was a tad before my time (my defence!) and also the reason for your pain... for which I apologise... but it's fair to say, neither DCFC or the BBG are/were perfect, and I'm a great believer in allowing the bad times to make you appreciate and embrace the good times more.

So apologies for your pain (and for the tears of others' reactions), but no apology for an otherwise sexy, moody, classic BBG night shot!  

?

11 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Glory supporter