Time wasting

Malty

One of the biggest turn offs in football. 

Grown man, wife/girlfriend, Mum and Dad, brothers and sisters all watching, gets kicked on the laces and drops to the floor with a scream holding his knee. Medics run on and everyone waits for 5 minutes. Then he limps for 10 steps, breaks into a jog and then full sprint. 

5 minutes later another full grown adult does the same. Another 5 minutes gone. That's 10 minutes out of 90 spent watching blokes roll around pretending they're hurt.

Might happen another 15 times depending 

You probably lucky to get an 50 minutes of football. 

Watch WWE. Its basically the same and you can stay warm and dry while not paying a fortune. 

Funniest is when they check for a nose bleed after being brutally tapped on the shoulder. 

Such a load of baalocks

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

They're not really the same thing though. Clough's mantra was "kick it to the corners, don't try to play out from the back in the 90th minute". He was never an advocate of, say, feigning injury. 

No-one has a problem with game management within the spirit and rules - it's the fake stuff that the officials should be clamping down on (but rarely do) that frustrates everyone. 

But how would a referee or anyone for example know if an injury wasn't genuine or not?

Even rugby refs get conned by fake blood capsules.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

But how would a referee or anyone for example know if an injury wasn't genuine or not?

Even rugby refs get conned by fake blood capsules.

The rules say they should only stop play for an injury that is deemed serious, with particular regard to "head injuries, suspected fractures, loss of consciousness, open wounds and heavy collisions." I agree it isn't always possible for the ref to be sure, but a referee should always view such incidents suspiciously when they occur in the closing stages of the game.

What should perhaps be mandatory is that, if the referee stops play at the request of the player, his team-mates or manager etc, and the player is able to resume playing, a further, say, 2 minutes is added onto the time lost. If play is stopped but the player then gets up to avoid the physio coming on (and thus he doesn't have to go off until the ref calls him on), the player should simply be red-carded and any 'minimum number of players' rule disregarded.

It's no different to simulation to win penalties, and that's heavily punished nowadays.

Just anecdotally from watching games I tend to think it can be stopped a little early on if the referee shows they're letting easy small fouls go and are determined to have a flow to the game. Then players realise that if they go down for the smallest thing the referee isn't going to give them anything and they'll be a liability for their team. Too many times the tone is set early on that tiny niggly fouls will disrupt the flow of the game giving opportunities for players to feign injuries. 

I'd also be a fan of retrospective bans being placed for diving if it's clear and obvious. 

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Just anecdotally from watching games I tend to think it can be stopped a little early on if the referee shows they're letting easy small fouls go and are determined to have a flow to the game. Then players realise that if they go down for the smallest thing the referee isn't going to give them anything and they'll be a liability for their team. Too many times the tone is set early on that tiny niggly fouls will disrupt the flow of the game giving opportunities for players to feign injuries. 

I'd also be a fan of retrospective bans being placed for diving if it's clear and obvious. 

To be fair, they did this in the Euros in the summer and the early stages were far better for it. There was clearly some guidance issued to the refs to do this and it worked but it hasn't really been followed through - into England at least. Ultimately refs will err on the side of caution as they do not want to be responsible for letting play go on and being responsible for a goal that should not stand. Hence the diving.

18 minutes ago, Crewton said:

if the referee stops play at the request of the player, his team-mates or manager etc, and the player is able to resume playing, a further, say, 2 minutes is added onto the time lost.

I like this. And then I realised that losing teams would probably feign injury to lengthen the game! If it applies to a winning team only, then yes.

On 01/11/2021 at 22:40, Rev said:

In these days of VAR and 4th officials, maybe it's time to take timekeeping out of the officials hands? 

5 minutes of time added on Saturday, one minute of play, 3 minutes while a Blackburn player received treatment, then another minute of play before the ref blew the whistle.

Even if we let the referee decide how much time to add, and technology then took over and decided on the final whistle would be an improvement.

Its called gamesmanship perhaps we need to learn it a bit more we would of certainly not lost at Peterborough

As for the time its already pretty much out of the hands of the Referee thats why the forth official holds the board up at each end of the half although that is supposed to be the minimum extra time allowed and the referee is supposed to add on even extra time for the above reasons within that (time wasting,injury etc) never happens though

1 hour ago, ramboy63 said:

Its called gamesmanship perhaps we need to learn it a bit more we would of certainly not lost at Peterborough

As for the time its already pretty much out of the hands of the Referee thats why the forth official holds the board up at each end of the half although that is supposed to be the minimum extra time allowed and the referee is supposed to add on even extra time for the above reasons within that (time wasting,injury etc) never happens though

Thanks. 

Maybe you could explain the offside rule to me next, I've always struggled with that.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Only got caught once…

Name other instances then. Bet you can't.

Diving and timewasting happens all the time in football and the punishments for cheating are minimal, if any is applied. That's the point I made that seems to have escaped your understanding. Put simply, a three year ban for the coach meant that the 'bloodgate' incident has NEVER been repeated. Football needs to clean house in the same fashion.

Retrospective bans for simulation, more cards for timewasting and the introduction of some sort of sinbin would clean up the game overnight but unlike rugby, football authorities have neither the balls nor the gumption to implement any such sanctions. ANd so it goes on.... ?‍♀️

15 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Name other instances then. Bet you can't.

Diving and timewasting happens all the time in football and the punishments for cheating are minimal, if any is applied. That's the point I made that seems to have escaped your understanding. Put simply, a three year ban for the coach meant that the 'bloodgate' incident has NEVER been repeated. Football needs to clean house in the same fashion.

Retrospective bans for simulation, more cards for timewasting and the introduction of some sort of sinbin would clean up the game overnight but unlike rugby, football authorities have neither the balls nor the gumption to implement any such sanctions. ANd so it goes on.... ?‍♀️

Just as I have zero examples of people getting away with it you have zero period that It isn’t happening every game….that’s the whole point of “getting away with It”……