Trick or Treat

Day

Trick or Treat  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

This is what I mean. They’re clearly doing it wrong. I can’t vouch for everyone. Those parents plonking kids on your doorstep are clearly dheads. The world is full of them. 

we’ve got our local Facebook group, and you’ll always get the odd moan of some kids nicked all the sweets on my doorstep, or some teenagers got in a fight, but overwhelmingly the comments on the local group are always positive. 

It’s well established here in Hilton, people come from far and wide. Maybe the rules aren’t quite so well known in areas where it’s less established. 

In you’re photos, I can’t see many photos out in your neighbouring houses. When you’ve got to walk miles to the next house with pumpkins with little legs, I can understand you might just knock on a few if you’re neighbours doors and see what your littlun can get so as not to leave them disappointed. 

If the parents are sat in the car, then it implies they had to drive to an area, so it’s clearly not working. In Hilton, it’s literally every other house is participating, you can always see the next house you’re going to. So there’s just no need to knock on doors that aren’t participating. 

why not just leave a pumpkin and a box of bassets on your doorstep? Join in, you might have some fun by accident. If you do it, you’re neighbours might too, and then the kids will be spoilt for choice. 

I've seen 3, just 3 houses with visible decorations. Now I don't know if others put anything out last minute as I was out.

I'd like to think all the cars were visiting friends and family, doing it the right way, but they are most likely driving around to different areas to target like Avon ladies.

As I say though, if we was left alone I wouldn't create this topic, others wouldn't have an issue either. Clearly not just my area where the rules are not observed.

Thankfully we have the technology to say look, here it is. This is a problem.

I don't agree with it at all to start putting bowls of sweets out encouraging it. 

3 hours ago, David said:

I've seen 3, just 3 houses with visible decorations. Now I don't know if others put anything out last minute as I was out.

I'd like to think all the cars were visiting friends and family, doing it the right way, but they are most likely driving around to different areas to target like Avon ladies.

As I say though, if we was left alone I wouldn't create this topic, others wouldn't have an issue either. Clearly not just my area where the rules are not observed.

Thankfully we have the technology to say look, here it is. This is a problem.

I don't agree with it at all to start putting bowls of sweets out encouraging it. 

We’ve identified the problem then. Only 3 houses in your area playing the game. What are kids supposed to do? I feel bad for that dad now. He’s probably trying desperately to find someone to give his kid some sweets so she can join in with the fun that maybe she’s seen on tv or her friends at school are taking part in round their areas.

we’re spoilt in Hilton, and forget that other areas aren’t as into it. When we went round Mickleover it was dead. Our daughter was dead disappointed that it was such hard work to find anyone. I feel bad for kids living in areas like that.

it like when people complain that kids are sat by the corner shop ‘intimidating’ people. But then they don’t actually build anything for them to do or go to. Build a skate park or a youth club or something. Don’t moan that they’re hanging out by the corner shop if you’ve not given them anywhere to go. Don’t moan that they’re knocking on your door if they’ve not been given any other option. You can always just suck it up for one night and not answer if you’re not interested.

or let’s just cancel haloween. I don’t have kids, I don’t celebrate it, so it doesn’t effect me if it’s cancelled. Who cares if we’re taking away more and more fun experiences for kids, more opportunities to make fun memories.

I genuinely worry that it’s getting harder and harder to share experiences I had as a kid with my kids, as more and more things get banned, sanitised or cancelled.

17 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

We’ve identified the problem then. Only 3 houses in your area playing the game. What are kids supposed to do?

And how's that our problem, why do we have to get dragged into it? If people don't want to participate then respect that.

Throw a party, contact friends and family, don't just start knocking on random doors as you want sweets for your kids, that's not our responsibility to supply them.

Tell you what, I'm going to create a day, 1st December, we all go round houses asking for alcohol dressed as up as a Disney characters.

Minimum age 18 for obvious reasons, if you don't want to get involved, just leave a crate outside for everyone to take a can.

Happy Boozed Up Day!!! ??

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

We’ve identified the problem then. Only 3 houses in your area playing the game. What are kids supposed to do? I feel bad for that dad now. He’s probably trying desperately to find someone to give his kid some sweets so she can join in with the fun that maybe she’s seen on tv or her friends at school are taking part in round their areas.

we’re spoilt in Hilton, and forget that other areas aren’t as into it. When we went round Mickleover it was dead. Our daughter was dead disappointed that it was such hard work to find anyone. I feel bad for kids living in areas like that.

it like when people complain that kids are sat by the corner shop ‘intimidating’ people. But then they don’t actually build anything for them to do or go to. Build a skate park or a youth club or something. Don’t moan that they’re hanging out by the corner shop if you’ve not given them anywhere to go. Don’t moan that they’re knocking on your door if they’ve not been given any other option. You can always just suck it up for one night and not answer if you’re not interested.

or let’s just cancel haloween. I don’t have kids, I don’t celebrate it, so it doesn’t effect me if it’s cancelled. Who cares if we’re taking away more and more fun experiences for kids, more opportunities to make fun memories.

I genuinely worry that it’s getting harder and harder to share experiences I had as a kid with my kids, as more and more things get banned, sanitised or cancelled.

She was quite lucky it was hallowe'en then ?

5 hours ago, David said:

This one here from our Ring, no parents at all about unless they are sat in a car somewhere having sent their kids out begging.

And we live in a decent area.

It's ok saying I'm following the rules, but many still are not. That's why it needs banning.

Or a sign that specifically says trick or treaters welcome. I shouldn't have to put one up to say not welcome, leave me out of it all.

77E7D1FA-B234-468D-B604-F771F7B85C46.jpeg

5 hours ago, David said:

Here's another, where a bloke rings the doorbell and physically picks up the kid that clearly by her face (trust me) wanted no part of this plonking her in front of our door.

Head down the entire time whilst his other kid stood next to him well away from the door.

FDE727FB-27E0-4754-80A3-AFD534CE5B9B.jpeg

8089B3EF-C6A5-4827-BDCB-F41688273216.jpeg

What's with all those rubbish red masks in your area? They look stupid and aren't scary at all. 

1 hour ago, David said:

And how's that our problem, why do we have to get dragged into it? If people don't want to participate then respect that.

Throw a party, contact friends and family, don't just start knocking on random doors as you want sweets for your kids, that's not our responsibility to supply them.

Have a heart. Imagine if you’re the one kid in an area where it’s all grumpy grown ups, and all you want to do is go show off you’re fancy princess dress to the neighbours and have them say how great you look, here’s a sweetie. what if the parents have got no friends with kids the same age. Or live away from the families.

you should have heard how excited my 5 year old was. Her little giggle every time she came away from a house with another sweet was absolute auditory joy. I’d be absolutely gutted if we lived an area where she couldn’t get that excitement just one night a year.

34 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Have a heart. Imagine if you’re the one kid in an area where it’s all grumpy grown ups, and all you want to do is go show off you’re fancy princess dress to the neighbours and have them say how great you look, here’s a sweetie. what if the parents have got no friends with kids the same age. Or live away from the families.

you should have heard how excited my 5 year old was. Her little giggle every time she came away from a house with another sweet was absolute auditory joy. I’d be absolutely gutted if we lived an area where she couldn’t get that excitement just one night a year.

I have a heart, I do loads for my mates kids, more than anyone, but I just don't see why it falls on me to buy sweets for kids I don't know. 

Surely everyone has some friends or family they can organise to visit, even 2 houses could load a bucket. 

Not that grumpy at all, I just find the whole thing bizarre.

2 hours ago, David said:

I have a heart, I do loads for my mates kids, more than anyone, but I just don't see why it falls on me to buy sweets for kids I don't know. 

Surely everyone has some friends or family they can organise to visit, even 2 houses could load a bucket. 

Not that grumpy at all, I just find the whole thing bizarre.

image.jpeg.309f74334f44c067e0428fda65673c4d.jpeg

5 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I felt slightly guilty about what I said earlier....until I read this!

@Davidhas said it already, but wow have to say your opinion has hardened my attitude.

Because other people don't want to join in this strange custom that's being forced on them,  it's actually their problem?

That's such a modern 'me me me, my children deserve this' way of thinking. If you want to throw them a party that's up to you but to expect other people to feel guilty for not doing what you want is just so entitled. 

PS have to admit my personal hate is the children's football team supermarket bag pack. Where they make you feel awkward as anything and 'charge you ' to pack 2 things in a bag while you stand looking.

9 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I felt slightly guilty about what I said earlier....until I read this!

@Davidhas said it already, but wow have to say your opinion has hardened my attitude.

Because other people don't want to join in this strange custom that's being forced on them,  it's actually their problem?

That's such a modern 'me me me, my children deserve this' way of thinking. If you want to throw them a party that's up to you but to expect other people to feel guilty for not doing what you want is just so entitled. 

PS have to admit my personal hate is the children's football team supermarket bag pack. Where they make you feel awkward as anything and 'charge you ' to pack 2 things in a bag while you stand looking.

It just seems such an alien attitude to me, that you could live in an area where only 3 people would put out a pumpkin. I feel bad for any kids that live in an area like that. Honestly, you should come to Hilton and see how good it can all be. How often these days does a community come together like that? Isn’t it better to put something good into the world, give a kid a smile and a sweetie, and let them leave laughing and happy, rather than being a grumpy git. It takes someone to be the first on the street to kick the party off. Be that guy.

20 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

... give a kid a smile and a sweetie...

Do that around here, and chances are your house will be soot by the next morning!  ?

Seriously kids... don't go knocking on strangers doors, and certainly don't go accepting anything edible from strangers.
You can't have one rule for 364 days a year, and another for one day!   

20 minutes ago, David said:

So basically, have kids, knock on random doors and say we want you to make my child smile once a year.

Speechless.

You’re really painting this as some horrible thing. It’s a big party and a bit of fun that the whole community gets involved in. What’s not to like?!

if you don’t want to be involved, don’t be involved. But frankly, it doesn’t hurt to have a tub of sweets by your door, and join in for one evening. If it’s not a big thing in your area, make it a big thing, be the change.

There’s a lot more positive about it than negative when it becomes a big community event, rather than a few kids trying to make trick or treating a thing, in an area that’s really not getting it. Then they do look like a bunch of sweetie grubbing beggars, but if the whole street was into it, then they wouldn’t look so out of place.

it’s only antisocial behaviour if no one else is doing it. If the whole community are doing it, it’s the definition of social behaviour.

I'm gonna go knock on TigerTedds door and beg him to give me £50 - if he says he wouldn't, he needs to stop being grumpy and move to an area where they give out money to strangers. 

PS: My folks live in Hilton and they most definitely do not want to be part of handing out sweets to random kids when they're trying to finish cooking or look after the dog or chill out after work. They never put a decoration out and yet still get multiple knocks on the door every year, so, no it's not a party for everyone.

Edited by JoetheRam

10 hours ago, David said:

This one here from our Ring, no parents at all about unless they are sat in a car somewhere having sent their kids out begging.

And we live in a decent area.

It's ok saying I'm following the rules, but many still are not. That's why it needs banning.

Or a sign that specifically says trick or treaters welcome. I shouldn't have to put one up to say not welcome, leave me out of it all.

77E7D1FA-B234-468D-B604-F771F7B85C46.jpeg

Have you moved town then?