Arthur Cox (no, he's not dead!)

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Legend he may be, but I also feel a bitter taste about how he left and his reasons. His back seemed fine when he was Keegan's assistant for the next dozen years! Was even subject of a massive disagreement between Keegan and the FA, with them refusing to employ him based on his age! They then allowed Sven to bring in Tord Grip who was older and Keegan was not happy!

Similarly, I also feel a little bitter taste about Igor leaving us for West Ham, and Bobby Davison for going to Dirty L**ds.

Regardless, what he did here was pretty amazing, nor will i ever feel any ill towards Igor or Bobby D.  Maybe you're just bitter Mostyn6 ?

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Legend he may be, but I also feel a bitter taste about how he left and his reasons. His back seemed fine when he was Keegan's assistant for the next dozen years!

I was under the impression he feared the he and Roy would get the sack, they were under pressure after not delivering on the big signings, so he get a bad back to leave giving Roy a run as manager. 

I was 16 when Cox was appointed his years are those I remember most fondly, having had mostly misery in the previous six years the climing back up leagues was elating. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Legend he may be, but I also feel a bitter taste about how he left and his reasons. His back seemed fine when he was Keegan's assistant for the next dozen years! Was even subject of a massive disagreement between Keegan and the FA, with them refusing to employ him based on his age! They then allowed Sven to bring in Tord Grip who was older and Keegan was not happy!

Similarly, I also feel a little bitter taste about Igor leaving us for West Ham, and Bobby Davison for going to Dirty L**ds.

To be fair, he was obviously told we were looking for a new striker and he did support Leeds.  We also shafted him thoroughly when he came back on loan, got a lot of goals and according to him promised him a deal then signed Gabbiadini instead.  Agree that Stimac some what sullied his time here as  he clearly couldn't be arsed to play for his last 6 months, hence the cut price move at 20% of his value to get him moved. 

On 15/10/2021 at 13:57, Bob The Badger said:

At least not that I'm aware of.

Sorry if that headline seems insensitive, but it may look like clickbait if I just post his name when he's ok.

I'm just interested if anybody has info on Arthur - or even, journalistic speculation Colin?

It all went south at the end, but that man is up there with Clough, Mackay and TBE as the greatest Rams managers in my lifetime.

I had some of my happiest Derby memories (and I watched all the home European games) watching that team rebuild in the 3rd division.

Maybe it was the fact that, as now, we had sunk so low and Arthur dragged up back up again because Clough's team was harder to break down, Mackay's more likely to put 4 past you, and Jim's more likely to attack you with pace on the counter, but I just loved that team.

For those of you old enough to remember Kevin Wilsons explosive start to that season, how shocking was it that Coxy promptly sold him?

Stunning and dumb eh?

Dumb like a fox when he used the money to bring in Micklewhite and, was it Gregory? Callaghan maybe? I dunno, come on stat fans, enlighten me who he used that money on!

I was listening to an interview with Robert Lee the other day and he was complaining at how poor Newcastle were at honouring old heroes. Derby are quite good in fairness and maybe AC wants his privacy, but duck me, I'd love to see the man introduced to the PP crowd. I'd even drive up from Cornwall to see it.

I just hope he's well as I know he had major back issues even when he was manager.

Didnt notice this was old thread so liked your original post today!! Wonder what oldest post to be "liked" is

Edited by CBRammette

On 15/10/2021 at 20:32, Monty said:

The game against Rotherham in May 1986 was a truly memorable night at the BBG Trevor Christie converting a penalty to seal promotion to the old division 2 (now the championship). Great memories 

Has anyone ever figured out why we were given that pen?

edit: sorry Notts Ram, read your post too late.

edit +1: Only just notice that I've replied to a year old thread, think it's time for bed.

Edited by Grimbeard

On 16/03/2023 at 01:22, Grimbeard said:

Has anyone ever figured out why we were given that pen?

edit: sorry Notts Ram, read your post too late.

edit +1: Only just notice that I've replied to a year old thread, think it's time for bed.

I’m liking posts on this thread from two years ago. They’re getting notifications and thinking ‘eh’ 

• 3 months later...

In this month’s edition of When Saturday Comes, there’s a team photo of a third division title winning Preston North End from 70/71. With who looks like to my eyes a young Arthur Cox (in black on the left). 

The hairline and eyebrows are unmistakeable. 

But I can’t find any reference of him at Preston on Wiki or elsewhere. Can anybody shed any light and confirm that my eyes aren’t deceiving me?!

1F63C664-6D43-413F-B8B1-AFD2641207A1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ramrob said:

In this month’s edition of When Saturday Comes, there’s a team photo of a third division title winning Preston North End from 70/71. With who looks like to my eyes a young Arthur Cox (in black on the left). 

The hairline and eyebrows are unmistakeable. 

But I can’t find any reference of him at Preston on Wiki or elsewhere. Can anybody shed any light and confirm that my eyes aren’t deceiving me?!

1F63C664-6D43-413F-B8B1-AFD2641207A1.jpeg

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-30151963.html

Coach at a lot of clubs including Galatasaray and Aston villa, Preston, Sunderland, wiki only has his managerial stats

He didn't play professionally because of injury:

He was unable to become a professional football player as he broke his leg playing in a reserve game for Coventry City.[1] He spent time coaching at Sunderland and in Turkey, before he was given his first management position.

I am too young to remember the League Winning sides so I would say my best years following the Rams was under Arthur's leadership.  We had some phenomenal away support back then, which this last season has rekindle a little.  Seemed to be all fighting the same cause. 

A very humble quote below from Arthur taken from the link Ilson Ram kindly posted.  Would really like to see more of a tribute to him somewhere around the ground.  

“Alongside many other people my contribution to football has been negligible but whatever I have done and whichever club I have been at I have always done everything in their best interest"

Arthur Arthur, gissa wave,  Maaaacfarland,  One Gordon Guthrie.  Great days.

Gangway D from the Terrace