Arthur Cox (no, he's not dead!)

Bob The Badger

At least not that I'm aware of.

Sorry if that headline seems insensitive, but it may look like clickbait if I just post his name when he's ok.

I'm just interested if anybody has info on Arthur - or even, journalistic speculation Colin?

It all went south at the end, but that man is up there with Clough, Mackay and TBE as the greatest Rams managers in my lifetime.

I had some of my happiest Derby memories (and I watched all the home European games) watching that team rebuild in the 3rd division.

Maybe it was the fact that, as now, we had sunk so low and Arthur dragged up back up again because Clough's team was harder to break down, Mackay's more likely to put 4 past you, and Jim's more likely to attack you with pace on the counter, but I just loved that team.

For those of you old enough to remember Kevin Wilsons explosive start to that season, how shocking was it that Coxy promptly sold him?

Stunning and dumb eh?

Dumb like a fox when he used the money to bring in Micklewhite and, was it Gregory? Callaghan maybe? I dunno, come on stat fans, enlighten me who he used that money on!

I was listening to an interview with Robert Lee the other day and he was complaining at how poor Newcastle were at honouring old heroes. Derby are quite good in fairness and maybe AC wants his privacy, but duck me, I'd love to see the man introduced to the PP crowd. I'd even drive up from Cornwall to see it.

I just hope he's well as I know he had major back issues even when he was manager.

22 minutes ago, rebb1 said:

Arthur Cox lives in Barton under Needwood, I have seen him a couple of times in The Old Vicarge restaurant at Branston and he is always willing to talk to DCFC supporters.

I can confirm that; I've had the pleasure of speaking with him at The Old Vicarage too. He is a really great old-school gentleman who refused politely to tell me anything "juicy" about eg Maxwell although he did tell me some very funny anecdotes involving helicopters with Maxwell's leg hanging out. Arthur really is a diamond gentleman. It's time Rams TV caught up with him. Can anybody @Owen87ITK make that happen. I think Arthur generally ticks the "No publicity" box but surely we need to pour some love on him for what he did?

55 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Had a bad back so left, then ended up with Keegan without a bad back. Slightly tainted my opinion of him. 

I seem to remember many fans were calling for him to be sacked around that time as our expensively assembled under-achievers were only in upper mid-table.

I think it was probably a mutually agreed "bad back".

14 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I seem to remember many fans were calling for him to be sacked around that time as our expensively assembled under-achievers were only in upper mid-table.

I think it was probably a mutually agreed "bad back".

Prevented chants of ‘Cox out’ as well which would have been both heartbreaking and funny at the same time.

Cox’s team will always be my Derby County, travelling all over the country watching his bunch of warriors. What a great time that was. Phil Gee through Burridge’s legs, George Williams scrapping on the goal line at Stoke, Bobby…always Bobby.

They were the days when new signings actually improved the team. Chandler to Callaghan, McClaren to Gregory, Davison to Saunders, Hindmarch to Wright, Wallington to Shilton… you could go on. 

I agree. Let’s have more Cox. Something this forum manages to do on a daily basis so why not @Owen87ITK. A 5 part series is definitely called for. Didn’t Radio Derby do a big feature with him a couple for years ago? Sure they did. Remember his Wallington playing at Ipswich with a broken finger/hand story. 

Great days.

3 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

At least not that I'm aware of.

Sorry if that headline seems insensitive, but it may look like clickbait if I just post his name when he's ok.

I'm just interested if anybody has info on Arthur - or even, journalistic speculation Colin?

It all went south at the end, but that man is up there with Clough, Mackay and TBE as the greatest Rams managers in my lifetime.

I had some of my happiest Derby memories (and I watched all the home European games) watching that team rebuild in the 3rd division.

Maybe it was the fact that, as now, we had sunk so low and Arthur dragged up back up again because Clough's team was harder to break down, Mackay's more likely to put 4 past you, and Jim's more likely to attack you with pace on the counter, but I just loved that team.

For those of you old enough to remember Kevin Wilsons explosive start to that season, how shocking was it that Coxy promptly sold him?

Stunning and dumb eh?

Dumb like a fox when he used the money to bring in Micklewhite and, was it Gregory? Callaghan maybe? I dunno, come on stat fans, enlighten me who he used that money on!

I was listening to an interview with Robert Lee the other day and he was complaining at how poor Newcastle were at honouring old heroes. Derby are quite good in fairness and maybe AC wants his privacy, but duck me, I'd love to see the man introduced to the PP crowd. I'd even drive up from Cornwall to see it.

I just hope he's well as I know he had major back issues even when he was manager.

Great post and I completely agree, although a little too young to remember the Brian Clough and MacKay era.

Having watched the Rams descend into the old Division 3 it looked like really tough times we're ahead, almost like today, although we've not gone yet.  Amazingly Arthur left Newcastle to come to us, at a club whereby we only had about 11 first team players on the books, a mountain of debt but a fiercely loyal fan base.  

Within a few seasons we we're back and would have been in Europe (should have actually finished third that season but dropped some daft points).  The European ban robbed us, then as the money dried up, another of his famous quotes came to fruition - "Football clubs can't stand still" he said, and as we tried we slowly went backwards. 

Those 4-5 years we're the best for me.  I was at the right age to hardly miss a game and some of the away days we're class.

Thoroughly enjoyed TBE years as I was one of a few who was really pleased with the appointment after seeing him take Pompey to the FA Cup Semi Final.  Knew he'd be no nonsense.

Completely agree about a statue of Arthur, and Roy Mac was a pretty good assistance, plus one Gordan Guthrie. 

Great memories,

Gangway D from Terrace  

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I can confirm that; I've had the pleasure of speaking with him at The Old Vicarage too. He is a really great old-school gentleman who refused politely to tell me anything "juicy" about eg Maxwell although he did tell me some very funny anecdotes involving helicopters with Maxwell's leg hanging out. Arthur really is a diamond gentleman. It's time Rams TV caught up with him. Can anybody @Owen87ITK make that happen. I think Arthur generally ticks the "No publicity" box but surely we need to pour some love on him for what he did?

I am so pleased to hear that, so thanks to you and @rebb1 and yes, we should all let Rams TV know how much we'd love that.

To those of you worried about his 'bad back', it may be time to just it go and give a massive hand-clap to a Derby great.

And i use the word 'great' advisably. 

He is a legend.

22 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Prevented chants of ‘Cox out’ as well which would have been both heartbreaking and funny at the same time.

Cox’s team will always be my Derby County, travelling all over the country watching his bunch of warriors. What a great time that was. Phil Gee through Burridge’s legs, George Williams scrapping on the goal line at Stoke, Bobby…always Bobby.

They were the days when new signings actually improved the team. Chandler to Callaghan, McClaren to Gregory, Davison to Saunders, Hindmarch to Wright, Wallington to Shilton… you could go on. 

I agree. Let’s have more Cox. Something this forum manages to do on a daily basis so why not @Owen87ITK. A 5 part series is definitely called for. Didn’t Radio Derby do a big feature with him a couple for years ago? Sure they did. Remember his Wallington playing at Ipswich with a broken finger/hand story. 

Great days.

Quality SBD.

And yeh, come on @Owen87ITK get him on.

The game against Rotherham in May 1986 was a truly memorable night at the BBG Trevor Christie converting a penalty to seal promotion to the old division 2 (now the championship). Great memories