Arthur Cox (no, he's not dead!)

Bob The Badger

To be fair i was there that night we were cool as custard and let me tell you if we were still playing that match now we wouldnt have scored . Anyone even now know what the penalty was for , if ever there was a case of brown envelope and referee that match was it . But thank god we got up but we were so so lucky that night .

On 15/10/2021 at 19:38, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Prevented chants of ‘Cox out’ as well which would have been both heartbreaking and funny at the same time.

Cox’s team will always be my Derby County, travelling all over the country watching his bunch of warriors. What a great time that was. Phil Gee through Burridge’s legs, George Williams scrapping on the goal line at Stoke, Bobby…always Bobby.

They were the days when new signings actually improved the team. Chandler to Callaghan, McClaren to Gregory, Davison to Saunders, Hindmarch to Wright, Wallington to Shilton… you could go on. 

I agree. Let’s have more Cox. Something this forum manages to do on a daily basis so why not @Owen87ITK. A 5 part series is definitely called for. Didn’t Radio Derby do a big feature with him a couple for years ago? Sure they did. Remember his Wallington playing at Ipswich with a broken finger/hand story. 

Great days.

To think we were maybe just a Kubic and Knoflicek away from being a truly great side, we were already good, short-lived though?

3 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

To be fair i was there that night we were cool as custard and let me tell you if we were still playing that match now we wouldnt have scored . Anyone even now know what the penalty was for , if ever there was a case of brown envelope and referee that match was it . But thank god we got up but we were so so lucky that night .

No one knows why we got the penalty,  and people complain about the standards of refs now.!!?

3 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

But.....but....we always get poo refs and it always costs us..... ?

20 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

But.....but....we always get poo refs and it always costs us..... ?

If you cast a serious look at the last & this season, you’ll see a series of decisions that consistently go against us….we all accept the swings & roundabouts, but it’s now consistently one way…statistically it’s become a loaded coin…it always comes down tails …

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I may be wrong (but I doubt it ?), but I think the ref explained that he had had to warn the defenders about pushing in the wall before the free kick was taken. Let's be honest though, nobody in the BBG cared about it at the time.

Yeah that’s true, but It was never a penalty, have you heard the interview with Trevor Christie when he talks about It, they had no idea what was going on! Ha ha like you say, who cares…I still have my “promotion” flag from that night….and as a 13 year old getting “a lock in” at the pub in Nether Heage when we got back celebrating was pretty damn exciting.! 

Loved the Cox era. Thought we were doomed for eternity when we dropped into division 3 but he was a messiah.

McMinn, Saunders, Goddard, Micklewhite what a forward line that was like a well oiled machine. Was gutted when Goddard went to Millwall, Goddard and Saunders were the best forward partnership I think I have seen at Derby but all too brief (I just missed Hector & O’Hare)

On 17/10/2021 at 15:15, plymouthram said:

Arthur will be 82 on the 14th December, we play Blackpool at home on the 11th, Someone at the club should organise a early Birthday pressie for him and make him the honourable matchday guest.

I know from past conversations with him that he very much ticks the "No publicity" box so if he declines the invitation, perhaps RamsTV can take the mountain to Mohammed and film a message back to fans. He is the living embodiment that we may be in dire circumstances but if we all keep our heads and pull together, we can bounce back quickly & stronger; I suspect @Owen87ITKwill already be on the case because we need to honour this legend and remind ourselves of how light can suddenly shine when you're in a dark tunnel. 

On 17/10/2021 at 12:48, richinspain said:

I may be wrong (but I doubt it ?), but I think the ref explained that he had had to warn the defenders about pushing in the wall before the free kick was taken. Let's be honest though, nobody in the BBG cared about it at the time.

Taken as an incident on it's own it was beyond soft even by todays standards! I had a look at the highlights of this not so long back though and what I'd forgotten was that Davison was through on goal just before and was cynically scythed down from behind as he closed in on goal and was livid. He seemed to get up and chuck a chunk of divot at the Rotherham player and stood over him giving him the benefit of his opinion on the challenge. The ref obviously can't give a penalty as it is just outside the box but clearly felt that it was a blatant 'professional' foul and I think the defender got sent off.

As I recall, what happened next was almost like the ref trying to make up for the fact that his hands were tied with the previous challenge and with the resulting free kick (if we didn't score) was looking for anything that he could penalise. The free kick was saved but the ref decided that Jeff Chandler had his shirt pulled (I think he actually mimes this). Let's be honest even the modern day jostling and shirt pulling looks far worse than that but hey, it's one of those epic BBG moments !

• 1 year later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, however, i got into a discussion on a FB group regarding Arthur and the high esteem he is held in by Rams fans who were lucky enough to witness his management time at Derby.  I understand that Arthur shuns publicity but i really think the club needs to make a concerted effort to get him to PP as a guest of honour and to allow us all to show our appreciation to him.  I think it would be a real special occasion (get a lump in my throat just thinking about it).

All too often we end up showing our respects with a minutes applause when they are gone, would really love to do something now.  I wonder if Mr Clowes could persuade him to make an appearance?  Do people think it would be worth persuing?

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, however, i got into a discussion on a FB group regarding Arthur and the high esteem he is held in by Rams fans who were lucky enough to witness his management time at Derby.  I understand that Arthur shuns publicity but i really think the club needs to make a concerted effort to get him to PP as a guest of honour and to allow us all to show our appreciation to him.  I think it would be a real special occasion (get a lump in my throat just thinking about it).

All too often we end up showing our respects with a minutes applause when they are gone, would really love to do something now.  I wonder if Mr Clowes could persuade him to make an appearance?  Do people think it would be worth persuing?

No apology necessary.  I have mentioned on this thread and on numerous occasions, they were the best times, in my teens, early twenties, watching the Rams and following them all over the country.  Like in this last season or so, our fan base came together, and we took over towns wherever we went, with Arthurs side fully committed and playing some of the best football of its time.

He always did shun the limelight but Arthur does deserve honouring and I would love nothing more than to see him at Pride Park, rather than something when he's gone.  I still feel a statue would be a fantastic tribute, maybe a Cox and McFarland one.

Cheers

Gangway D from the Terrace. 

Edited by GangwayD

1 hour ago, GangwayD said:

No apology necessary.  I have mentioned on this thread and on numerous occasions, they were the best times, in my teens, early twenties, watching the Rams and following them all over the country.  Like in this last season or so, our fan base came together, and we took over towns wherever we went, with Arthurs side fully committed and playing some of the best football of its time.

He always did shun the limelight but Arthur does deserve honouring and I would love nothing more than to see him at Pride Park, rather than something when he's gone.  I still feel a statue would be a fantastic tribute, maybe a Cox and McFarland one.

Cheers

Gangway D from the Terrace. 

We must be of the same era, probably my favourite Derby manager, not just because my dad shared his first name and looked a bit like him.  I suspect if Arthur was ever to be persuaded to come to Pride Park, Roy Mac would be the key.  I think it is a shame that this era in Derby's history seems to be overlooked - Take a look at the photo display behind the South Stand, the 80's and early 90s is completely missing, great times for us 50 pluses!

Legend he may be, but I also feel a bitter taste about how he left and his reasons. His back seemed fine when he was Keegan's assistant for the next dozen years! Was even subject of a massive disagreement between Keegan and the FA, with them refusing to employ him based on his age! They then allowed Sven to bring in Tord Grip who was older and Keegan was not happy!

Similarly, I also feel a little bitter taste about Igor leaving us for West Ham, and Bobby Davison for going to Dirty L**ds.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Legend he may be, but I also feel a bitter taste about how he left and his reasons. His back seemed fine when he was Keegan's assistant for the next dozen years! Was even subject of a massive disagreement between Keegan and the FA, with them refusing to employ him based on his age! They then allowed Sven to bring in Tord Grip who was older and Keegan was not happy!

Similarly, I also feel a little bitter taste about Igor leaving us for West Ham, and Bobby Davison for going to Dirty L**ds.

It was good business for us to sell Bobby Davison to Leeds and get him back later. Not quite as good as selling Seth and getting him back for free. All thanks to the financial wizard Ridsdale.