And Kenny Davenport scores....

Ellafella

If we conceded the first ever league goal in world football (typical of the various other records we hold!) does this mean this was the first ever league game (or were there several that day or previous 0-0 draws)? 

And if it was the first ever game, then presumably we are the first club in the world to win a league football match. That sounds pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we conceded the first ever league goal in world football

And our back line hasn't ever recovered from it! 

I think I remember reading that it was the first goal scored as all the games kicked off concurrently, and this was the earliest goal scored,  as well as a few other ridiculous Victorian instances delaying kick off (flat balls, corset blown on the pitch etc). 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we conceded the first ever league goal in world football (typical of the various other records we hold!) does this mean this was the first ever league game (or were there several that day or previous 0-0 draws)? 

And if it was the first ever game, then presumably we are the first club in the world to win a league football match. That sounds pretty impressive.

Correct. We were technically at the top of the league briefly as our game kicked off at 2:45 IIRC although it’s debatable as records are sketchy. But as you suggest @Carl Saganwe are at the centre of a lot of football records …we should record them and pin it.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think till about 5 years ago they thought first goal/ first win was associated with Villa ?.  In theory I suppose your right, unless there was a load of injury time or something.  Not sure if such a thing existed back then.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think till about 5 years ago they thought first goal/ first win was associated with Villa ?.  In theory I suppose your right, unless there was a load of injury time or something.  Not sure if such a thing existed back then.

That’s correct. But somebody IIRC researched things and worked out that due to delayed trains, causing late ko’s it was the Bolton v Derby game that was first result through on the steam-driven teleprinter…

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

That’s correct. But somebody IIRC researched things and worked out that due to delayed trains, causing late ko’s it was the Bolton v Derby game that was first result through on the steam-driven teleprinter…

The EFL have some geezer at the national records office checking this out by candlelight in an old cellar.  They won't be having this.  Expect corruption of antiquated records to appear as charge 5 tomorrow.